Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [Solved] Problem with graphic aplications with a vertical monitor  (Read 5790 times)

tapule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2018, 04:54:54 am
    • Gelide FrontEnd for Linux
Hi, I'm new here so this is my first post.

I'm having a problem with a vertical monitor  when run a graphic application.
I'm using Gnome as desktop and everything is fine but when I launch for example Mame, Stella, Mednafen, etc I see the screen displaced to the right, this is a screenshot:

I tried with diferent graphic cards but allways with the same result.

To rotate XOrg I use

Code: [Select]
Section "Monitor"
    Option         "Rotate" "CCW"
EndSection

some hint on this?

Greetings
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:00:37 pm by tapule »
Gelide FrontEnd for Linux http://gelide.sf.net

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
Re: Problem with graphic aplications with a vertical monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 09:53:24 am »
Hi, I'm new here so this is my first post.

I'm having a problem with a vertical monitor  when run a graphic application.
I'm using Gnome as desktop and everything is fine but when I launch for example Mame, Stella, Mednafen, etc I see the screen displaced to the right, this is a screenshot:

I tried with diferent graphic cards but allways with the same result.

To rotate XOrg I use

Section "Monitor"
    Option         "Rotate" "CCW"
EndSection

some hint on this?

Greetings
What monitor type do you have, and what does your entire xorg.conf look like, linux version/distribution, possibly logs of /var/log/Xorg.0.log with your "Device" section containing this Option      "ModeDebug"      "true"  which will show all the modelines being used.

It sounds to me like you might need better modelines, but also it could be that artwork is enabled or available (even when it's disabled if it is seeable by mame it'll offset things).  Also try either -video opengl vs. -video soft, one or the other might act different with this offset.

Also output of /var/log/dmesg log too, might be interesting, are you using a newer kernel with DRM and KMS switching?
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

tapule

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 10:57:50 am »
What monitor type do you have
I tried in two diferent machines with diferent monitors. One is QuadCore Q2800 with a tft Samsung syncmaster 226BW (22') and the other P4 3GH with a 15' tft with no name. The samsung is running in a NVidia Gforce GTS 250 and the other in a Nvidia Gforce 6600. Both with Debian amd64, the 15' is a clean install.

what does your entire xorg.conf
Attached a copy

linux version/distribution
Debian amd64 with kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64

possibly logs of /var/log/Xorg.0.log with your "Device" section containing this Option      "ModeDebug"      "true"  which will show all the modelines being used.
Attached a copy

It sounds to me like you might need better modelines
Who can I do this?

but also it could be that artwork is enabled or available (even when it's disabled if it is seeable by mame it'll offset things).  Also try either -video opengl vs. -video soft, one or the other might act different with this offset.
It is not a mame problem, I have the same with mednafen, stella, etc.

Also output of /var/log/dmesg log too, might be interesting
Nothing here

are you using a newer kernel with DRM and KMS switching?
No idea about this.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 04:14:11 pm »
What monitor type do you have
I tried in two diferent machines with diferent monitors. One is QuadCore Q2800 with a tft Samsung syncmaster 226BW (22') and the other P4 3GH with a 15' tft with no name. The samsung is running in a NVidia Gforce GTS 250 and the other in a Nvidia Gforce 6600. Both with Debian amd64, the 15' is a clean install.

what does your entire xorg.conf
Attached a copy

linux version/distribution
Debian amd64 with kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64

possibly logs of /var/log/Xorg.0.log with your "Device" section containing this Option      "ModeDebug"      "true"  which will show all the modelines being used.
Attached a copy

It sounds to me like you might need better modelines
Who can I do this?

but also it could be that artwork is enabled or available (even when it's disabled if it is seeable by mame it'll offset things).  Also try either -video opengl vs. -video soft, one or the other might act different with this offset.
It is not a mame problem, I have the same with mednafen, stella, etc.

Also output of /var/log/dmesg log too, might be interesting
Nothing here

are you using a newer kernel with DRM and KMS switching?
No idea about this.

Ah ok, if it's TFT monitors then modelines shouldn't matter, in fact probably xorg.conf doesn't matter too much but mainly it's probably how the screen is being rotated.  Instead of doing it in xorg.conf you might want to try xrandr to do it, also you might want to try and use the newest Xorg version like in Ubuntu 10.10 which is way newer than the one your using (1.7.7) Ubuntu uses 1.9.0.   You might not even need an xorg.conf because newer versions of Xorg do better without one, then when your inside X Windows run this command (can put this into the window manager startup like .xinit possibly, or however your X windows setup is)...

xrandr -o left

This will rotate it left, or right if you need it right, and normal to get it back to normal.

It might do it better, I'm at least guessing that is the issue, or possibly that and a newer version of X Windows combined would fix it.  Since it's in all emulators and your using a normal TFT monitor I'd guess it's all to do with the Xorg setup and version, one or the other or both.

Update:

Also, since your using the Nvidia proprietary driver, you have to replace the CCW option with this...

Option "RandRRotation" "on"

Which allows xrandr to work

And also since it's the Nvidia driver, which I'm all too familiar with because I run it on my desktop, you will need the config.  One thing though, is if you use Ubuntu 10.10 the newer Xorg has the Nouveau drivers which are worth a shot if you can't get it working right with the above suggestions.  The Nouveau drivers are more advanced in a lot of ways and actual native X drivers, not proprietary and a bit more in sync with newer Xorg methods (like no config file necessary).  The one disadvantage is if your using OpenGL heavy duty graphical stuff or playing video back on the system, not mame stuff, but other things then the Nvidia drivers beat the Nouveau drivers in acceleration like playing video back in 1080p without tearing (which is why I still use the Nvidia one instead of Nouveau, I tried but it just couldn't do what I needed for a desktop, yet).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:25:27 pm by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

tapule

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 03:47:36 am »
I tried with xrandr, bet it get worst. The problem continues and also I can't get the resolution of my desktop, It only let me use lower resolutions.
Same issue with noveau, the nvidia driver works better.

I don't know, but it seems to me that could be a SDL problem. For example when I run stella (or whatever) in fullscreen mode, if I use 768x1024 (in vertical), I can set this resolution in the emulator config but when I run it, it seems that the resolution is 1024x1024 and the image is centered so I lose the right side of this square.

tapule

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 05:06:21 am »
Now I also tested in a 21' crt monitor, the problem continues

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 08:44:27 am »
Does it also do it when you use the mame option -rol ?
--
The Groovy Organization

tapule

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 02:55:43 am »
I think I found the problem in the sdlmame forum: http://www.bannister.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=54194&page=2
It seems that is a SDL 1.2.x problem so I will try the solution that is mentioned there and then I will post my results.
Bitbytebit, thank you very much for your help.

tapule

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 03:00:11 pm »
Ok, finally I have it working!!

The solution at first is simple, I have to compile sdl without the X11 xv extension so I downloaded the SDL source code and then do this:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-video-x11-xrandr=yes --enable-video-x11-vm=no
$ make
$ sudo make install
But here is where I found the problems, all SDL based programs has stopped working saying something like "No available video device". The problem is that SDL check for the xserver development libraries so if this libraries are not installed, SDL disable the X11 support, so no video device is available.

The solution (in Debian) is that you need to install the package "xserver-xorg-dev" before configure and compile SDL.

This solve the problem and now I have a minimal Debian install with Xorg running in vertical and mame working correctly (as stella, mednafen, etc).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:02:20 pm by tapule »