Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Genres modeline generator and switchres dynamic modeline switcher  (Read 8598 times)

bitbytebit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
Genres modeline generator and switchres dynamic modeline switcher
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:56:52 pm »
SwitchRes is a C program that can dynamically add modelines it autogenerates for X Windows under Linux, or in Windows can generate modelines and replace the need for .ini files.  It utilizes a Linux kernel patch allowing true arcade monitor support for the Linux framebuffer and in X windows with ATI Radeon cards.  It allows you to use the vsync to avoid tearing, with the waitvsync option and nothrottle with the newest X Windows from GIT and Linux 2.6.37-rc1 or above with my patch applied.  

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=106405.0

Thanks,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:46:54 pm by bitbytebit »
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

Quinny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2014, 07:52:07 am
Re: GenRes program for Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:00:41 am »
Thanks for doing this. I don't have an AVGA or a WG monitor but I have been experimenting trying out different resolutions with the video card I have and using an old CRT monitor (which doesn't allow me to use the resolutions I want).

If I ever got it working I would've written a script like this, so thankyou so much for writing it.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:23:10 am »
New version uploaded.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:24:58 pm by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:26:29 pm »
Version 0.03 uploaded.
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
Re: GenRes program for Linux (now patch to lrmc to parse mame.xml)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 02:34:44 am »
Version 0.4
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 03:33:07 pm by bitbytebit »
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
Version .10 is available and has big improvements, xrandr now can be used and dynamically add modelines to X possibly no longer requiring modified xserver/radeon drivers.  Also now vertical refresh rates can be more exact using xrandr, and more likely vertical sync will be correct unless it just can't calculate the original refresh rate with your monitors specs.
--
The Groovy Organization

Quinny

• Offline Offline
Can you please help me with the set up of this?

I used to have a NVIDIA card in my machine but recently put in an arcadeVGA PCIe card and I am having a few difficulties. It took me a few hours to work out why I could not start X and now I have it started in a low res mode using fglrx, but I cannot start any open GL graphics. It gives me a "Segmentation fault".

Can you please tell me what drivers you use? Or can I use genres on its own to set this up correctly?
It should be noted that I am trying to get this card to work on a computer monitor and not a 15KHz screen.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
Can you please help me with the set up of this?

I used to have a NVIDIA card in my machine but recently put in an arcadeVGA PCIe card and I am having a few difficulties. It took me a few hours to work out why I could not start X and now I have it started in a low res mode using fglrx, but I cannot start any open GL graphics. It gives me a "Segmentation fault".

Can you please tell me what drivers you use? Or can I use genres on its own to set this up correctly?
It should be noted that I am trying to get this card to work on a computer monitor and not a 15KHz screen.

Yeah my ArcadeVGA PCIe card makes fglrx barf out like that too using any openGL stuff.  I use the ati drivers, using radeon as the actual name of the driver in xorg.conf.  You should uninstall the fglx stuff completely and then install only the ati xf86 driver and use that.  In the genres zip, you can find a good example of the xorg.conf file to use, just remove all the modelines.  My modified version of the ati driver probably is fine for you, but don't use the xserver because you need the default modes for a computer monitor.  You might be able to setup some modelines with non-standard resolutions running genres in -vga or -multi mode, could give it a shot at least.

Thanks,
Chris
--
The Groovy Organization

Quinny

• Offline Offline
Thanks. It took me a while to get all the extra bits I needed to make the driver.

Now X is broken again and locks up.
I only added the Devices section of your xorg.conf-top file to my xorg.conf file. I changed the BusID to 4:0:0 because that's what mine is using.
When I go into recovery mode I can see "No devices detected" in the Xorg.0.log file.

Changing back to the old almost empty xorg.conf file does not help. I can't get a GUI with using fglrx. Any ideas?

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
Thanks. It took me a while to get all the extra bits I needed to make the driver.

Now X is broken again and locks up.
I only added the Devices section of your xorg.conf-top file to my xorg.conf file. I changed the BusID to 4:0:0 because that's what mine is using.
When I go into recovery mode I can see "No devices detected" in the Xorg.0.log file.

Changing back to the old almost empty xorg.conf file does not help. I can't get a GUI with using fglrx. Any ideas?

Sounds like your X setup is broken somewhat, which fglrx can do and you really have to fully uninstall it and reinstall all opengl etc extras afterwards (it moves the originals out of the way).  There's a command with script that installs fglrx that can uninstall it too, try that.  Then possibly reinstall all your distributions X packages and the ati driver from there for the radeon, if you use my altered one then make sure you compile with --prefix=/usr or where your distribution puts the X distribution.
--
The Groovy Organization

Quinny

• Offline Offline
Sorry I meant to say that it won't work without fglrx.

What is the command with script that you mentioned?

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
Sorry I meant to say that it won't work without fglrx.

What is the command with script that you mentioned?

There's an option I think with the script you install it with, or an fglrx-uninstall command possibly.  I had to uninstall it from my system and fully re-install all openGL libraries and possibly dri stuff and the X server/drivers.  It goes through and alters quite a bit of stuff there and was not easy to get rid of, and with my AVGA 3000 pcie card it never worked and just crashed/locked on trying to  start X.   Once removed, and having the basic ati driver installed with radeon support, you should be able to do the X -configure command and get a close to working config or at least a start to one.  In theory X should be  able to startup on a normal monitor without a config at all in /etc/X11 too.  Of course once the fglrx stuff has been installed that may be less likely until things are fully restored to how they were beforehand. 

I've actually just about gotten genres working to where there are no longer any .ini files needed and not really a need for a special X version or configuration, well at least if there's a newer xrandr version on the system and decently new version of X and possibly a way to avoid default modelines that X likes to force/override xrandr inserted ones (X may not override xrandr modelines, but I'm not sure yet).  Just a perl script and lrmc plus xrandr, dynamically creates modelines and runs mame with the game at that modeline, removes it when done with the game.  X Windows is definitely a pain to deal with having different versions or installing extra drivers, so hopefully my new solution will avoid any system specifics as much as possible and just work on a majority of working X installations and drivers/cards (that allow lower dotclocks and modelines from xrandr).  It basically would make any card that can have a low dotclock work above and beyond an ArcadeVGA card since this will allow you to have custom modelines for each game dynamically created and like Soft15Khz in Windows not restricting you to a specific card and again we are also free of the Windows limits of a small number of 30 modelines or less.     
--
The Groovy Organization

Quinny

• Offline Offline
There's an option I think with the script you install it with, or an fglrx-uninstall command possibly.  I had to uninstall it from my system and fully re-install all openGL libraries and possibly dri stuff and the X server/drivers.  It goes through and alters quite a bit of stuff there and was not easy to get rid of, and with my AVGA 3000 pcie card it never worked and just crashed/locked on trying to  start X.   Once removed, and having the basic ati driver installed with radeon support, you should be able to do the X -configure command and get a close to working config or at least a start to one.  In theory X should be  able to startup on a normal monitor without a config at all in /etc/X11 too.  Of course once the fglrx stuff has been installed that may be less likely until things are fully restored to how they were beforehand. 

Wow! So much to do. I am not experienced with linux but I have learnt a lot over the past year and even use Ubuntu on my main PC now.
I will do a search and see what I can find out.
So it sounds like I need to:
- Uninstall fglrx, which I have already done.
- Install (or re-install) openGL drivers, which I don't think I have done as I am not aware of that.
- Install dri stuff, which I think I have done but will do again.
- Re-install xserver, which I have done a couple of times.
- (Re-)install the ATI driver.
- Configure X.

I'll let you know how I go. If you know what openGL drivers I need please let me know.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline

Wow! So much to do. I am not experienced with linux but I have learnt a lot over the past year and even use Ubuntu on my main PC now.
I will do a search and see what I can find out.
So it sounds like I need to:
- Uninstall fglrx, which I have already done.
- Install (or re-install) openGL drivers, which I don't think I have done as I am not aware of that.
- Install dri stuff, which I think I have done but will do again.
- Re-install xserver, which I have done a couple of times.
- (Re-)install the ATI driver.
- Configure X.

I'll let you know how I go. If you know what openGL drivers I need please let me know.

Yeah just search in google about it and you'll see this is a big problem with fglrx that lots of people run into.  It likes to delete system files and doesn't uninstall cleanly so people have to end up reinstalling parts of X Windows after uninstalling fglrx.  There seems to be plenty of information about it so something should help, but there's no quick easy clearcut way to clean up after fglrx from what I could tell unfortunately.  I just kind of fiddled around with my system when setting it up, tried fglrx at first and it didn't work and took a day or so of mucking around and re-installing stuff till I got the radeon driver to work.  Part of the key of getting working was the uninstalling fglrx and just reinstalling parts of X Windows/opengl/drm/dri and all those involved components for X.  Just reinstall "Mesa" "libdrm" at first, those are the main ones it definitely overwrites, then recompile and install the xf86-ati driver over that.  Then you might want to try recompiling/installing the xserver itself, but the one of course that came with your system most likely is the best one to use else the versions won't match with all the little parts of X Windows there are.  The way that you installed fglrx hopefully gives a way to uninstall, and there's that uninstall script possibly that it installs which can be used but some say they can't find while others can (I'm not sure what I did exactly, but it was either the uninstall script or I found a command line arg in the install script they have to uninstall.  It was a few months ago, and I have totally removed all traces of it from my system since then :) ).
--
The Groovy Organization

Quinny

• Offline Offline
Yeah just search in google about it and you'll see this is a big problem with fglrx that lots of people run into.  It likes to delete system files and doesn't uninstall cleanly so people have to end up reinstalling parts of X Windows after uninstalling fglrx.  There seems to be plenty of information about it so something should help, but there's no quick easy clearcut way to clean up after fglrx from what I could tell unfortunately.  I just kind of fiddled around with my system when setting it up, tried fglrx at first and it didn't work and took a day or so of mucking around and re-installing stuff till I got the radeon driver to work.  Part of the key of getting working was the uninstalling fglrx and just reinstalling parts of X Windows/opengl/drm/dri and all those involved components for X.  Just reinstall "Mesa" "libdrm" at first, those are the main ones it definitely overwrites, then recompile and install the xf86-ati driver over that.  Then you might want to try recompiling/installing the xserver itself, but the one of course that came with your system most likely is the best one to use else the versions won't match with all the little parts of X Windows there are.  The way that you installed fglrx hopefully gives a way to uninstall, and there's that uninstall script possibly that it installs which can be used but some say they can't find while others can (I'm not sure what I did exactly, but it was either the uninstall script or I found a command line arg in the install script they have to uninstall.  It was a few months ago, and I have totally removed all traces of it from my system since then :) ).

Thanks for the input. This is just being difficult I guess. I can boot into old linux versions, like 2.6.31, and get into vesa graphics mode. I was able to download the latest updates from synaptic but that hasn't helped anyway.
For some reason I can't use the vesa mode in the latest linux version and as for ati I haven't gotten that to work at all.
You'd think this would be easy, right? Even with no xorg.conf file I just get a boot to the xterm login.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
Yeah, I'm definitely not so happy with my radeon now because I realize it won't do the waitforvsync option.  The driver seems to not be able to support it through opengl, and so it won't do the vertical refresh rate and avoid tearing in Linux.  I'm not sure if they have improved the radeon support in newer kernel versions or not.  One thing to note is these arcade VGA cards don't work, as far as I can tell, with the new kernel modeline switching (KMS) option enabled.  That is enabled by default on anything above 2.6.34 I think, and it's something else to watch for.  Then again I also think that may make the radeon cards act better in newer kernels, but the ArcadeVGA card might be incompatible since it has non-standard bios/firmware on it.  At least I suspect that, because so far in Linux everything says basically the Atom Bios is not correct and fails to get the memory buffer or something odd like that.

Thanks for the input. This is just being difficult I guess. I can boot into old linux versions, like 2.6.31, and get into vesa graphics mode. I was able to download the latest updates from synaptic but that hasn't helped anyway.
For some reason I can't use the vesa mode in the latest linux version and as for ati I haven't gotten that to work at all.
You'd think this would be easy, right? Even with no xorg.conf file I just get a boot to the xterm login.

--
The Groovy Organization

Quinny

• Offline Offline
Yeah, I'm definitely not so happy with my radeon now because I realize it won't do the waitforvsync option.  The driver seems to not be able to support it through opengl, and so it won't do the vertical refresh rate and avoid tearing in Linux.  I'm not sure if they have improved the radeon support in newer kernel versions or not.  One thing to note is these arcade VGA cards don't work, as far as I can tell, with the new kernel modeline switching (KMS) option enabled.  That is enabled by default on anything above 2.6.34 I think, and it's something else to watch for.  Then again I also think that may make the radeon cards act better in newer kernels, but the ArcadeVGA card might be incompatible since it has non-standard bios/firmware on it.  At least I suspect that, because so far in Linux everything says basically the Atom Bios is not correct and fails to get the memory buffer or something odd like that.

What does a waitforvsync option do?

Ahhh haaaa!!! Yes, it is this kernel modeline switching thing which is preventing me from using vesa, and from what you say, preventing my card from working at all. How do I turn it off?
I haven't seen any messages about Atom Bios or memory buffers. Where do you see that?
Maybe this card needs a custom driver?

Quinny

• Offline Offline
Ahhh haaaa!!! Yes, it is this kernel modeline switching thing which is preventing me from using vesa, and from what you say, preventing my card from working at all. How do I turn it off?

I turned it off with this command:
echo options radeon modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf

And I am back in the GUI once again! I now realise all the changing of the xorg.conf I did over the past few days has been for naught as KMS was taking over and X did not get a chance.
My xorg is similar to the one in GenRes 0.11. Everything seems to be running smooth and at a good speed. I guess I can check out how the different resolutions go when I plug in my TV using a scart-vga cable I made. It uses composite sync, so would the waitforvsync issue affect me too?

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline

I turned it off with this command:
echo options radeon modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf

And I am back in the GUI once again! I now realise all the changing of the xorg.conf I did over the past few days has been for naught as KMS was taking over and X did not get a chance.
My xorg is similar to the one in GenRes 0.11. Everything seems to be running smooth and at a good speed. I guess I can check out how the different resolutions go when I plug in my TV using a scart-vga cable I made. It uses composite sync, so would the waitforvsync issue affect me too?
Ah yeah, interesting, that KMS stuff crashes my card no matter what so much be some bug there in it.  I sent a bug report to the drm people about that, hopefully they can figure out what is going on.  That is needed if we want the waitforvsync to work with throttle off.  This would allow the vsync to work properly through openGL supposedly.  Although Also there's some thing about how rv500 and below GPU's can do vsync and page flipping but above that they can't in linux yet.  So I'm looking into all that.  Nvidia can't do the vsync either, and xrandr at the same time and looking at it the radeon driver is more stable and further along than the nvidia one. 

I actually flashed my BIOS for my ArcadeVGA 3000 card today and made it a normal Radeon 2600 HD card and actually seems to be performing better now.  I still can't get KMS to work so it seems it wasn't the odd bios that was doing it I guess. 

Basically it should all work well for modeswitching and generally running but you won't be able to get the waitforvsync and throttle off to work properly, it'll just go full speed  when setup like that.  I still haven't seen a video card/software setup combo in Linux yet that can do all that and do xrandr modeswitching too.  Which I'm still digging into things and looking for that possibility, should be possible, might be that whole RV500 or less GPU on the radeon issue and a card with one of those would work with vsync maybe.  I tried to force vsync on, and it just locked up glxgears, so obviously they are turning it off for a reason I guess :).
--
The Groovy Organization

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
Re: Genres modeline generator and switchres dynamic modeline switcher
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 10:48:58 pm »
Have ported this to C, modeline generation is looking much better than older versions, pretty decent modeline generator or mame wrapper and xrandr caller now.  Test and report any feedback about problems or success.
--
The Groovy Organization