Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dremel with router attachment  (Read 1633 times)

16el

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2005, 03:06:26 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Dremel with router attachment
« on: August 05, 2003, 03:49:24 pm »
Will this work well for trimming laminate and slotting for t-molding?  Will it be powerful enough to cut mdf with?

Inaba

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2004, 01:58:48 pm
  • Secret Squirrel
    • Cazic Thule Forums
Re:Dremel with router attachment
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 03:54:04 pm »
While you could probably do it... the whole point of having a router is to prevent you from cutting too deeply into the site of the cab/cp.

The router has a bearing (arbor) stop that keeps the cutting blade an exact distance from the edge of the part being trimmed.  With a free standing Dremel, you'd have wobble, and are liable to end up cutting into parts of the cab/cp you don't want to be cutting into.  The router allows yoo to keep a perfectly horizontal (or verticle) shaft positioning, while not allowing the cutting blade to wander too close.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 04:00:44 pm »
Read the original  post again. If I may humbly suggest, up the comprehension skills slider to the right (it's in your control panel).

I believe functionally, yes, using the dremel WITH THE ROUTER attachment (i.e. not freehand) will work, OK.  If you have a lot of laminate/tmolding slots to cut/trim, I'd recommend just getting an el cheapo router...

I imagine that it would take longer using the dremel tool and probably wear out the dremel faster (althouhg I don't have a dremel that i've abused to back up my hypothesis)... know what i mean, though?

If you're gonna go to the trouble to get the 20 dollar router attachment (assuming you already own a dremel) maybe save up a little bit more for a cheapo or used router (check pawnshops/flea markets/ebay/sales)

if you're just doing a Control Panel i'm sure a dremel will be fine.. . but I have my suspicions of using it to trim the laminate/cut the t-molding on a full sized cabinet would be asking a lot of the dremel (or require extra patience to cut everything)

*shrug*

rampy

EDIT'ed for clarity so that the fricken llama would be happy.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2003, 10:08:55 pm by rampy »

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 04:03:37 pm »
A dremel goes through mdf like butter....

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 04:24:44 pm »
A Dremel with a router attachment should work, but I don't know if you can find the right kind of bits to fit a dremel.  I don't think anyone makes a t-slot bit for the Dremel.

A guy I know that makes custom routed slot car tracks from MDF uses Ryobi Laminate Trimmers.  He finds them on sale for less than regular routers.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

said7

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2012, 02:24:47 pm
  • "I smell..... NERDS" - Ogar
    • www.said7.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 05:06:59 pm »
Check out my site: http://www.said7.com
Arcade site comming soon.

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 08:42:20 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 06:44:58 pm »
A dremel will drill into mdf  fine.. but I had little luck getting the router to do much to it without almost killing the dremel.... get a router... your dremel will thank you  and save the dremel rounter for  much much smaller things
........ but then again I could have a very old and tired dremel...

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 06:47:09 pm »
Yeah, don't use a dremel for big stuff.  I used a router to cut long straight lines.  I used my dremel to round the corners and route out areas for my joysticks.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 06:49:42 pm »
My Dremel can't handle wood-working, but I don't think I have the most powerful model. Either way, it's not a good idea. A real router is so much nicer. I finally broke doen and bought one for $30... It's totally awesome. It's all the router I'll ever need.

(Of course, when you're as good as I am you don't need much.)  ;)

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 07:42:35 pm »
I have a router and a dremel.   The dremel has the router attachments but will not do the work of a router.  I would rout a control panel with a dremel but would hate to do a full cab.

BObA

xar256

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 10:18:08 pm
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2003, 11:40:29 am »
To get back on track.  <I've had enough childish bickering on another list I'm dealing with...I'm not getting involved in this one>.

You probably could get away with using the Dremel tool for this kind of work.  But believe me, there is nothing like having the right tool for the job, especially if you consider yourself somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to this kind of stuff.  If you want your cab to look perfect in your eyes, you'll thank yourself for using a router <maybe renting one from Home depot or something may be a more viable option?>

Xar256 ;D

Amra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2023, 05:22:46 am
  • Save a tree, Eat a beaver!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2003, 01:14:05 pm »
You may have misspelled it first, but Inaba misspelled it and was harassing other people for their deficiency of grammatical prowess, not you.  

And what
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver!

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2003, 01:25:15 pm »
I tried with the Dremel and didn't like my results. The 1/8" collet just doesn't hold the cutting blade in place well enough. You need a router with a 1/4" collet. You can get crooked lines if you go any faster than like 1ft/min. You may feel like you can go faster cuz the blade will cut, but you'll end up dragging the thing through and your line will come out crooked. I promise.