Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade monitor horiz. to vert. for jamma..  (Read 1193 times)

Twizted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2003, 01:15:31 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Arcade monitor horiz. to vert. for jamma..
« on: July 25, 2003, 06:22:54 pm »
I have an old WG4901 that is in my Stargate machine (not at the moment, waiting on cap kit) and I would like to test out and play some of my Jamma and other  games but some are vertical.

Is there a specific way to wire this up to play arcade pcb's vertically? Like Ring King and Capcom Bowling.

I read a post that said if you just mount it vertically it will display vertically.
Can this be right?
How could it tell the difference?

Any help is appreciated!
I would like to use the monitor for a while with incoming games while I restore the Stargate cabinet.
Too bad it didn't come with the boards in it! >:(
I have to wait it out and but them on ebay for an insane (over $100 so far) amount of money for the boards.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Arcade monitor horiz. to vert. for jamma..
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 07:35:14 pm »
There's NOTHING you'd need to do electronically...

You could either rotate your head, or rotate your monitor =P

The only diff between a vert monitor and a horizontal monitor is the mounting...  so prop that bad boy up and play some galaga or something =P

Good luck!

Rampy

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 12:13:30 am »
I concur with rampy.  Nothing at all needs to be done to your monitor to display vertical games, other than placing your monitor into a vertical orientation.  There is a bit of overlap in terminology between horizontal games and horizontal monitors.  A horizontal game expects the long dimension of the monitor to be horizontal, where a vertical game expects the long dimension of the monitor to be installed vertically.

When most people make mention to a "horizontal monitor", that only refers to the frame style of the monitor.  Horizontal monitors typically have a wedge-shaped frame with handles, and then there are "universal" mount monitors that have a flat bar cage around the back of the tube.

Actually, horizontal mount monitors seem to be more common and easier to install because all they need is a shelf to bolt them to, regardless if they are mounted in a horizontal or vertical orientation.

Horizontal mount:

Universal mount:

original Tempest vertical monitor (horizontal mounted sideways):

Twizted

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2003, 01:15:31 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 04:45:06 pm »
Okay I guess I wasn't thinking! :P
The pcb actually dictates the orientation of the game play. I understood that the monitor could be turned but couldn't figure out how to make game turn too!!

Kinda thinking along the lines of mame! ::)

As soon as I get the cap kit and transformer I'll be playing many original games at full speed!!

Thanks!