Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ram Controls Yoke - The circle is complete!  (Read 23099 times)

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
Re: Ram Controls Yoke - The circle is complete!
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2010, 09:23:56 am »
That's a bit severe. I think some people lose sight of the fact that these are games we're talking about. No need to get all worked up about them. Unless you're really enjoying yourself...

:cheers:

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2010, 09:24:22 am »
[OT] What happened to ratzz? Did he delete his account or get banned or something?  :dunno[/OT]

He asked for his account to be deleted. He's welcome to come back if he wants.
Genesim did too but his account is still around!  Come on Saint, do it.  DO IT! Please....

;D

I'll consider ordering from Ram once all the pre-orders have been shipped AND people who start ordering now also start to receive theirs.  This may be the holy grail for some people but I won't support a vendor who can't be a man.  Telling lies and avoiding talking to people isn't good business.

davespicer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2012, 04:31:44 am
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2010, 02:09:52 pm »
Well my cab is Irish

Please accept my condolences.   :laugh2:

Well, as long as it's not an Irish priest I'm fine with it.

Heh... no offence meant.  I'd take a pristine Irish cab over a tatty US one any day of the week.  Your looks pretty damn tidy from the pics posted last year.   :)

Dave

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2010, 03:39:29 pm »
That's a bit severe. I think some people lose sight of the fact that these are games we're talking about. No need to get all worked up about them. Unless you're really enjoying yourself...

Not to mention that if he doesn't want to come around here anymore, all he has to do is not come to the site! What's the purpose in deleting the account? LOL
NO MORE!!

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2010, 11:56:19 am »
Just completed my Dual Strike hack last night - and finally played my first game of Star Wars with the yoke! Now I can attest to the full quality of Dave's yoke as I have finally spent some quality time using it. Next up; a proper control panel. My mockup is ok, but I need to get this mounted properly.

On a side note; anyone else do a Dual Strike hack? I noticed that the ubiquitous 1UP diagram of the pcb has the X-Axis black and red connections wrong: at least on my pcb they were reversed.

So I wonder if this is the first truly plug and play DS hack, since it has the mate and lock cap on it, instead of cutting the yoke wires...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:23:01 pm by Havok »

Gatinho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2010, 08:35:44 pm
FWIW I'm still waiting on my '07 pre-order.
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2010, 09:53:56 pm »
Dave did eventually reply to one of my emails saying he was waiting for a report back from Havok on how his yoke is before he mails out mine.

:dizzy:

Havok, if you give an official nod back to Dave, then I can't imagine any other new hold-ups.

I've been a steadfast and loyal holdout on this, and Dave has promised me great rewards for my patience!

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2010, 10:32:35 pm »
Already been done - I've been in contact with Dave quite a bit since I received my yoke. I'm sure people will be chiming in soon about how they like their new yokes...

XtraSmiley

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 09:29:46 pm
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2010, 10:42:17 pm »
Already been done - I've been in contact with Dave quite a bit since I received my yoke. I'm sure people will be chiming in soon about how they like their new yokes...

Why, do you know something?  Please share if you have info!
hearingprotectionBIGDOG@yahooBIGDOG.com

Kill the Dog man.

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2010, 11:06:03 pm »
Just that I've gone through the QC checks with Dave, made a couple of suggestions and we're all set. So, I'm sure Dave is going to sending out the rest of the orders\pre-orders soon.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2010, 01:41:32 am »
On a side note; anyone else do a Dual Strike hack? I noticed that the ubiquitous 1UP diagram of the pcb has the X-Axis black and red connections wrong: at least on my pcb they were reversed.

I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty anal about stuff so I'm sure the way I drew it was the way it was on my board.  There could have been different revisions that were color coded differently, who knows... :)  You just have to use the connections that work for you.

BTW, I can't believe people are still hunting down Dual Strikes for this--there must be other gamepads that would work.  I just happened to have them laying around when I was looking for stuff to cannibalize to interface my yoke, there's really nothing special that makes them work.  Other than working with 5v pots.

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2010, 02:18:24 am »
Yeah, they still pop up on ebay, but this one I have had sitting around in my garage for over two years; I figured I'd get everything ready for when the yoke was done back when we thought they would first be shipping. In fact, it took some searching to find the darn thing. I forgot where I stashed it and had to tear apart the garage! I'm sure you're right about other pads working, it's just a matter of pulling one apart and seeing what the analog piece uses.  However, it's tough to beat the current price of a DS; Thumbmonkey is selling them on ebay for $10 BIN shipped. I've bought from them in the past, and they're a great seller.

In case someone is going to hack their DS and was wondering about the X-Axis connections, my pcb has X01-01787-01 on it. Not sure if that is just the part number, or perhaps contains a revision number in it, but figured I'd list it. It would be interesting to see if anyone else that hacked a DS has a different number stamped on their pcb, and whether or not the pot connections match with 1UP's...

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2010, 01:15:53 pm »
Hey 1UP-- I still have about 10 Dual Strikes sitting in my garage (all brand new). Don't talk folks out of them!  :banghead:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

MameMaster!

• Offline Offline
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2010, 01:56:58 pm »
SOOO.....is this officially dead? Did anyone here other than Havok order one?

:hissy:

EDIT -- I just noticed this thread--- hmmm  :applaud:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=101002.0

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2010, 01:59:55 pm »
Yay - they're starting to trickle in...

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2018, 11:39:19 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2010, 06:09:14 pm »
SOOO.....is this officially dead? Did anyone here other than Havok order one?

i ordered one late december. haven't received it yet.
to see my "Frankenpanel" and design notes, click here.

Breaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 11:52:31 pm
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2010, 06:50:47 pm »
Hi All,

I was going to hold off until I received it, but I can confirm that my yoke is currently traversing the
continent (via UPS) and on its way to me in Canada. As promised, Dave has supplied a tracking number so
I have been following its progress all day. I should get it tomorrow or Saturday (if UPS delivers on the weekend)
and I'll advise the BYOAC board when it arrives (and include some pics).

Yes, the yokes are now going out!
Breaker.

Daviea

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2010, 06:51:56 pm
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2010, 10:14:58 pm »
Hey everyone,

I have not been on the BYOAC forum in quite some time.  It looks like at least one melt-down occurred during that time.  Nice.

Anyhow, obviously the lack of communication has been a real problem for me.  I'm sorry about it, but I've been trying to keep focus on this end, especially with what really matters in my life.  Work, family, home, etc.  I've been trying hard to work on RAM Controls projects as time permits and I've made some headway, but I've really slacked on the forums.  I felt that it was a choice of actual WORK or sit and TALK about work.  I know it sounds like a cop out, but in my defense, I have been watching and responding to emails somewhat routinely.  Anyone who has pre-ordered with me should know how to contact me directly.  I do believe those who have contacted me directly have received responses from me.

I'll bring up one specific item that I do feel needs a little clarification.  I said one thing that has bit me on the rear-end ever since I posted it.  "Now Shipping"  Does that ring a bell?  I posted it, then everything in my life started to fall apart with regard to work.  Yes, I said WORK.  The thing that puts food on my table and funds my hobbies (like RAM Controls -- yes, it IS a hobby).  Anyhow, I won't get into the nitty gritty, but suffice to say I had to do some fancy footwork to deal with everything.  That took time.  Too much time, if you ask me.  Slowly, I was able to stabilize work enough to get back to dealing with RAM Controls projects.  I shipped pre-order #1 (Havok) and he got his yoke in short order.  Based on his response and the response from some people I queried directly on the subject, I decided to make two minor changes to the yoke which created a whole new delay.  This and the silence didn't help matters much.

So, I've got life back in order and I'm working on RAM Controls nearly full time right now to pick up the slack I created for myself.

The bottom line is that yokes are shipping.  People will post about it.  We're out of the woods.  Thanks to all of you who held out and stuck in there with me.  I really do appreciate your patience.

To everyone who pre-paid for a yoke and had to wait and deal with delay after delay as well as poor communication, I apologize for everything.  It's my hope that you will enjoy the reproduction yokes and we can move beyond this entire mess. 

To everyone else who had to endure the drama here and on KLOV, please accept my apologies as well.  Hopefully, with these yokes shipping now, we can count on the detractors to go silent so we can enjoy the forums just that much more.

If you need to contact me, PLEASE email me directly.  I'm not on the forums much, so EMAIL is the best avenue to contact me.

Thanks again everyone,

Dave

P.S.  Some of you have been pretty harsh on me.  I hope we can move forward and put it behind us.  That would be nice.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2010, 10:21:28 pm »
Daviea,

I'm glad that you got the important stuff sorted out (home, family, work etc). 

I'll be the first to apologize for any comments that I made that were out of line.  I hope everyone that gets their yokes enjoys them. 

I hope things are going more smoothly for you.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2010, 11:11:51 pm »
Saint, lock this thread before the various "you could have done X Y Z" posts start....
 ;)
NO MORE!!

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2010, 12:59:28 am »
In before the lock - and how about those USB interfaces?

;D

Daviea

• Offline Offline
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2010, 02:17:48 am »
Hey Havok,

I'm working on them right now.  I'm going to be slightly off-target, but I should have at least a small batch (~50pcs) ready in the next week or so.  I have to note that the timeframe might be extended without further notice!  LOL  I've got all the parts, I just need to tweak the firmware, flash the PIC's and solder them on.  I think you'll all like the simple plug and play design, plus my PCB's are SO purdy!!! :-)

Dave

In before the lock - and how about those USB interfaces?

;D

Chunce DeLeone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2012, 02:58:11 pm
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2010, 09:04:39 am »
Got my Yoke last night and it is awesome.  Haven't hooked it up yet but can't wait.  The detail on this thing is sick, its perfect!!!! :cheers:

Daviea

• Offline Offline
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2010, 01:18:00 pm »
I know that I probably don't deserve it and I might even be out of line for asking, but can you indulge me a little bit and post quick reviews of your brand new yokes?  Pictures and lotsa big words would be good. :-)  I need some love right about now.

Thanks!!

Dave

Daviea

• Offline Offline
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2010, 01:21:59 pm »
PS.  Just so you're all completely in the loop, I shipped out 36 yokes on Wednesday of this week.  If you don't have your yoke by Monday/Tuesday at the latest, you're probably in the next round to be shipped.  I am reassembling a big batch of them now and they SHOULD ship next week.  And that will cover the remainder of the yoke pre-orders.

This is my official update for today.

Dave

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2010, 01:27:20 pm »
Soon to be many happy people out there, these yokes are a work of art!

MameMaster!

• Offline Offline
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2010, 01:51:09 pm »
Dave as soon as the reviews roll in, I'll be happy to order one with the USB gadget.

Daviea

• Offline Offline
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2010, 02:02:53 pm »
I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for these reviews to roll in.  It's agonizing having to wait.  I think there's some lesson in that, too.  :-)

Dave

P.S.  USB adapters are being worked on right now.  I should have them available in the next week or so.

Dave as soon as the reviews roll in, I'll be happy to order one with the USB gadget.

Chunce DeLeone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2012, 02:58:11 pm
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2010, 02:34:27 pm »
ORDER ONE NOW before Dave stops making them.  they are perfect,  there really isn't more i can say Dave sorry,  except that they are the yokyest yokes I've ever seen?

Breaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 11:52:31 pm
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2010, 06:11:49 pm »
Hi All,

Okay, I worked from home this afternoon to greet the arrival of the yoke!
I have just opened the box and examined the unit and I have to say that it is, in a word, beautiful!
The finish is flawless, the movement is silky-smooth and the level of detail, stunning. It is rock solid!

See pics attached.
One important note about the detail shots of the handles; the camera flash may make the small amount of
packing lint on the parts appear as scratches - THIS IS NOT THE CASE - THE FINISH IS PERFECT!

Congratulations Dave, it's a thing of beauty and the arcade community has a new standard for quality!

Okay, back to work for now...more accolades to come...  :)

All best,
Breaker.  
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:19:07 pm by Breaker »

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2010, 09:30:25 pm »
Hmmm I just had an evil thought. How much would a NOS original Atari yoke sell for?

NO MORE!!

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2010, 09:42:24 pm »
Hmmm I just had an evil thought. How much would a NOS original Atari yoke sell for?

The handles are slightly different (somewhat boxier and powder coated); any collector worth his salt would recognize this as a repro - especially since the tolerances on this one are much tighter than an OEM piece. However, you *might* be able to pass it off as a prototype, as the handles are based on that instead of the ones that made it into production. The only difference there would be the coating...

Daviea

• Offline Offline
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2010, 09:53:24 pm »
There's also one more difference which is obvious from the external of the controller.  The steering bracket (or steering weldment) - the black metal frame at the rear of the controller.  It's made from only two pieces of sheet metal instead of three.  It's one of those small design changes I made.  The ability of sheet metal workers in the 80's to make the part with only two pieces would have been tremendously difficult.  It's still difficult, but CAD software makes the process SO much easier now....if you know what you're doing. :-)  I never liked how Atari welded that third piece onto the bracket, so I designed it differently, making the part just that much cleaner.

Dave

WareWolF

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 02:42:16 pm
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2010, 10:00:38 pm »
Dave I never heard from you about a refund so if you want to actually ship me a yoke that's ok. 
Send me a PM with your correct e-mail address if you never got the mail I sent you a few months ago.

Daviea

• Offline Offline
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2010, 10:06:28 pm »
Are you messing with me or did you really ask for a refund on your yoke order?

That's the one constant I've always had - ask for a refund on a pre-order and it was done immediately, no questions asked.

Email me at sales@ram-controls.com and let's discuss.

Dave

Dave I never heard from you about a refund so if you want to actually ship me a yoke that's ok. 
Send me a PM with your correct e-mail address if you never got the mail I sent you a few months ago.

WareWolF

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 02:42:16 pm
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2010, 10:26:39 pm »
Just sent an e-mail now -- let me know if you get it. 

I apologize for blasting you for not responding, no idea why you never got my refund request E-Mail.

Daviea

• Offline Offline
    • RAM Controls
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2010, 10:39:37 pm »
I don't know what the problem is, but I still don't have an email from you.

Are you sending it to:  sales@ram-controls.com

I have my SPAM assassin turned OFF, so I know that's not the problem.  I even looked in my SPAM folder for good measure.  Nada.

I have to assume that there's something else wrong.

Doublecheck the email address you're sending to.  sales@ram-controls.com and also try daviea@ca.rr.com just as a backup.

Thanks

Dave

Just sent an e-mail now -- let me know if you get it. 

I apologize for blasting you for not responding, no idea why you never got my refund request E-Mail.

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2010, 11:09:43 pm »
Trust me - you don't want a refund!

Dave - here's some quotes for ya:

"This is the yoke that Atari wished they made back in 1983!"

"With this yoke on my control panel, I am Luke Skywalker!"

"The craftsmanship of this yoke is far superior to the original; Ram Controls took the original product and made it better!"

"There's a new definition for perfect in the dictionary; it now contains a picture of a Ram Controls yoke!"

"Ram Controls didn't just make a reproduction yoke, they perfected it!"

Paul Olson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:02:48 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2010, 01:03:20 am »
Does anyone want to buy a Gamecab yoke for $300 so I can get one of these?     :P

TPB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 09:12:52 pm
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2010, 05:35:28 am »

Congratulations Dave.

All's well that ends well, and your yokes look fantastic !

How about having a "now we're REALLY shipping sale" ?    ;)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2010, 07:18:35 am »
I don't know what the problem is, but I still don't have an email from you.

Because, just like the Real World post office, sometimes letters get lost.  It happens.