Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can i plug a video rca to a PC monitor ?  (Read 3116 times)

janey6152

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2016, 03:39:36 pm
Can i plug a video rca to a PC monitor ?
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:27:14 am »
I have a plug in play game. I want to make a bartop and not have to use a PC borad  Such as Mame .
just wanna  take it apart and plug it into a PC monitor , Is the an adapter to do this ????

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Can i plug a video rca to a PC monitor ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:13:23 am »
There are converters that do this.  Here is one that has VGA output (no idea what the quality would be like though).

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 11:20:21 am »
My old IBM PC had a monitor which also had RCA plugs in the back. I used that monitor for my Genesis/32x back in the day. Nowadays, I have no clue how that was done. I do wish I still had that monitor though. ;D

So I guess my advice is hit the junk stores looking for ancient pc's and look at the back of the monitors for RCA plugs.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 12:28:28 pm »
My old IBM PC had a monitor which also had RCA plugs in the back. I used that monitor for my Genesis/32x back in the day. Nowadays, I have no clue how that was done. I do wish I still had that monitor though. ;D

So I guess my advice is hit the junk stores looking for ancient pc's and look at the back of the monitors for RCA plugs.

I have an old commidore monitor that also has rca plugs...I still use it as a back up for my consoles...I think it has RGB inputs as well...so I could use it as an arcade monitor too.

My question to you is: Why not use a 13" TV? I'm pretty sure you could find one cheap or free.  If you want a bigger Bartop use a 19" or 20" TV.  Most likely any TV you picked up would be cheaper than the converter from the link above.

I've looked for the same device in order to use a cheap 19 or 20" LCD monitor with my Plug and play.  This is the most inexpensive one I've seen.  Usually they are $80 or more.
Expect VCR quality Video.

janey6152

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2016, 03:39:36 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 05:58:28 pm »
reason why i ask is i have about 10 pc monitor sitting around doing nothing.
so i fig i could make some mame, plug n  play  with them...

whatzcrackn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2019, 12:14:02 pm
  • U just won tickets to da 'GUN SHOW'
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 07:03:10 pm »
goto ebay and type in vga box, you will get a lot of options.  You might be able to hook up consoles to if you have them!!

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 08:43:16 pm »
I have an old commidore monitor that also has rca plugs...I still use it as a back up for my consoles...
Those aren't multi-sync monitors. Big difference between PC monitors and arcade/tv/C64 style monitors.

Composite to multi-sync convertors cost too much. You're better off just finding cheap used 13" televisions.
NO MORE!!

knave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 11:44:34 am »
I have an old commidore monitor that also has rca plugs...I still use it as a back up for my consoles...
Those aren't multi-sync monitors. Big difference between PC monitors and arcade/tv/C64 style monitors.

Composite to multi-sync convertors cost too much. You're better off just finding cheap used 13" televisions.

Ah, you're totally right...It has no vga input.  Not that I'd want it...the resolution is too low for any real computing...I was just trying to think of monitors with rca plugs...