Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Running a browser game (not Flash) offline on my arcade machine  (Read 2249 times)

TheElectricMonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2022, 04:17:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Running a browser game (not Flash) offline on my arcade machine
« on: September 27, 2017, 04:23:58 pm »
I've discovered an online Temple Run clone that my kid loves and I'd like to have it on my Windows 7-based arcade machine.
http://files.cdn.spilcloud.com/webgl/TR-13-01/index.html

The problem is, it seems designed for online use.

In the past with Flash games (I have a Flash game that emulates an old LCD game, for example), this was easy. Search the HTML page's source code, find the link to the SWF file, download it, get a standalone Flash player, create a batch file that calls the player and the SWF file, and if necessary, replace keys and mouseclicks via AutoHotKey. Point MaLA Frontend at the batch file or at a link to it -  and done.

This one, however, uses JavaScript (I guess), and a few more obscure (at least to me) techniques (HTML5? I dunno).

What I did find out is that the game loads 17 files into the browser cache, 12 of which are PNG graphics with textures, and one is an OGG file with all the sounds. The rest, I have no idea. And even if I did, the way the cache files are named with those long strings of letters and numbers, I wouldn't know how to combine them.

Once I would have the game running offline, it should be easy to start it from a batch file with a dedicated browser (I'm thinking Firefox Portable) and either find a command line to start it in fullscreen or set an AutoHotKey app to press F11 after a second.

The problem is I have no idea how to get the thing to run offline - my computer skills are just too low.

Does anyone have any idea? As always, help is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:26:10 pm by TheElectricMonk »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Running a browser game (not Flash) offline on my arcade machine
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 09:18:53 pm »
You can use a tool such as wget to download the files locally, and then possibly use chrome kiosk mode or kiosk app features to run it.

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2018, 01:14:45 am
  • Yes, I really am still working on it!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 09:59:24 pm »
You could make it easier by searching for "Tomb Runner for windows". There is a free Windows version - as far as I can tell it's legit/legal. As far as swiping if from a browser, I don't believe we are supposed to share info like that on this site, and as a game dev, I wouldn't anyways ;)
"Computer Space" (1st coin-op game ever) for MAME Front Ends Available Now!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155041.0.html

My Custom Motorcycle Cabinet Build For Custom Game (Daredevil Dave):
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151106.0.html

TheElectricMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:52:25 am »
You could make it easier by searching for "Tomb Runner for windows". There is a free Windows version - as far as I can tell it's legit/legal.

Requires Windows 8.1 or higher - I have Win7 :(

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 04:28:06 am »
You could make it easier by searching for "Tomb Runner for windows". There is a free Windows version - as far as I can tell it's legit/legal. As far as swiping if from a browser, I don't believe we are supposed to share info like that on this site, and as a game dev, I wouldn't anyways ;)

And as a part time web dev, I can say that wget and curl has been around for over two decades now. Websites are made to be transferred to a host to be viewed. I don't understand your point.

TheElectricMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 04:22:10 pm »
This is ridiculous. There are a number of Temple Run clones on Android (Tomb Runner, Subway Surfers, Minions Rush, some Rabbids game, to name but the few I've seen), I can't believe nobody has written a decent version for Windows. Heck, I'd pay good money for a game like it.

The closest things I managed to find were Fotonica and Boson X. While fine games in their own right, and while they are utterly playable with my arcade controls, they just don't have that same feeling.

I've even toyed with the idea of using an Android emulator, but I don't think I can find one that runs on Win7/32bit on a single-processor machine with 3000 MHz and 3 Gigs of RAM, AND can start from a snapshot.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:25:36 pm by TheElectricMonk »

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 05:28:53 pm »
This is ridiculous. There are a number of Temple Run clones on Android (Tomb Runner, Subway Surfers, Minions Rush, some Rabbids game, to name but the few I've seen), I can't believe nobody has written a decent version for Windows. Heck, I'd pay good money for a game like it.

The closest things I managed to find were Fotonica and Boson X. While fine games in their own right, and while they are utterly playable with my arcade controls, they just don't have that same feeling.

I've even toyed with the idea of using an Android emulator, but I don't think I can find one that runs on Win7/32bit on a single-processor machine with 3000 MHz and 3 Gigs of RAM, AND can start from a snapshot.

What is rediculous. I told you what to do.

TheElectricMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 05:56:11 pm »
Sorry, "ridiculous" was aimed at the situation in general, not at your suggestions, which were good.

With Wget I only managed got the index.html, nothing else, even when using switches for recursive directories and claiming to be a different browser.

The best result I got was using WinHTTrack Website Copier, but even that gave up after a few layers and claimed it couldn't find certain files that were referenced in the scripts.

So either I'm not smart enough to handle these tools properly, or it can't be done. I suspect the former, which is frustrating, hence my "ridiculous" comment. No offense to you was intended.