Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: benefits of 5/8 MDF for control panel  (Read 2728 times)

jteexy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2024, 11:07:33 am
benefits of 5/8 MDF for control panel
« on: June 04, 2024, 11:00:53 am »
I've seen where some people are using 5/8 MDF for their control panel instead of 3/4 MDF like they are using on the rest of the cab.  What's the reasoning behind this?  Any benefits?  Any disadvantages?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:39:00 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: benefits of 5/8 MDF for control panel
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 02:22:53 pm »
I've seen where some people are using 5/8 MDF for their control panel instead of 3/4 MDF like they are using on the rest of the cab.  What's the reasoning behind this?  Any benefits?  Any disadvantages?
One advantage if you're using a UTrak trackball with the trim bezel is not having to route out a 1/8" pocket on the bottom of the panel to make the top of the flange sit flush with the ball surround.
Mounting with trim bezel:
The optimum panel thickness for this method is 5/8 in (17mm). A 3/4 inch panel can be used but the flange will sit 1/8 inch above the ball surround.

Scott

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:24:38 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: benefits of 5/8 MDF for control panel
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2024, 01:26:14 pm »
Any benefits?  Any disadvantages?

Way late to the party, but I'll throw out some:

Advantages:  In the case of a 4-way, you really want a short stick and you will get an extra 1/8" inch of usable height.  Not a big advantage, but something.  Some import buttons can be shorter than US buttons.  This can give a little extra meat as far as threads are concerned.

Disadvantage:  The thinner the control panel, the cheaper the panel will feel.  If someone is slapping it to press buttons, the thinner the panel, the more it will feel and sound like a "drum" than a solid extension of the the cabinet body.  Thin wooden control panels are a pet peeve of mine :)