Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on iPhone!!!!  (Read 3128 times)

Aceldamor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on iPhone!!!!
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:19:23 pm »
The quality is actually really well done as well!

5 bucks a piece isn't a bad deal either.

http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/iphone.htm

*edited to add link
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:27:23 pm by Aceldamor »
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

Dizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2014, 05:28:04 pm
Re: Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on iPhone!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 05:31:25 pm »
I downloaded the Space Ace game a couple of months ago.  The quality is well done.  Not crazy about the virtual dpad, but what else are you gonna do?  ;)  It was definitely worth the download for me.

Been waiting for Dragon's Lair.

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 05:46:16 pm »

The trailer for this looks really nice and it's even in high def.

I think it's safe to assume that they trashed the laser discs and instead recaptured from the original film stock.  This means that these ports are of higher quality than the arcade original. :)

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:15:00 am »
I've got Dragon's Lair on BluRay and I can confirm the hi-def version is the best looking Dragon's Lair yet.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 06:16:00 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:27:07 pm »
The hi-def ports are MISSING half the Original Artwork!  They CROPPED
the art, just so they could make the game 'wide-screen'.  Extremely LAME.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 04:31:42 pm »
Good point. I hate when they fake widescreen. Original Aspect Ratio should always be observed.

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 03:59:38 pm »
My wife just recently won an ipod touch from the lottery at her Christmas party... which she is giving me for Christmas! She's the best!  :) Anyway I have been looking for classic games available for the ipod that you can run with out jailbreaking it and so far in addition to the aforementioned Dragons Lair and Space ACE, I found these. I was wondering if anyone knows of any other classic games (or variants of classic games) available for the ipod.

http://ipod.about.com/od/ipodtouchgames/tp/classic-ipod-touch-games.htm

http://www.capcom.co.jp/iphone/index_e.html

https://www.namcogames.com/iphone_games/

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:50:08 pm »
The hi-def ports are MISSING half the Original Artwork!  They CROPPED
the art, just so they could make the game 'wide-screen'.  Extremely LAME.

That may be true, didn't bother to compare.   That may therefore mean it's extremely lame BUT it's an incredible looking game nevertheless, with impressively vibrant colors.  Considering none of the original artwork was done in widescreen, I can only say it looks great, thus I approve their decision and I recommend others give it a try.

Loafmeister… THE seal of quality :).

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 06:33:15 pm »
Cropping 4:3 to 16:9 only loses you 25% of the total picture, and that's only 12.5% for the top and the bottom depending on how you pan and scan it.  The 'information' at the edges is less important than the stuff that's going on closer to the center.  The iPhone is small enough and honestly, pillar boxing it is just going to make your view even SMALLER.  I think cropping is the lesser of two evils.  Afterall, the gameplay remains intact.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:59:31 pm »
Orion, just try out the free or "lite" versions if you can. Personally, I don't like ANY action games cuz there's no d-pad. Even playing Dragon's Lair kinda sucks because you are expected to have very fast reflexes and sometimes you tap just outside of the button area because you're focused on looking at the action, not where the buttons are. Or you tap with too "fat" a finger presss and it just doesn't register. I bought the game cuz it was cool to have in such a portable format.

Back to action games, it just doesn't work out that well. I like the ones designed for tilting, like Rolando. But games like Pacman or Galaga... it just doesn't work well enough.

Then you have games like Time Crisis, which look ok (kinda Nintendo 64 level of graphics) but I find the 3D ones just suck down the battery power in real short time.
NO MORE!!

jfunk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 02:19:59 pm »

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 10:19:13 am »
Thanks for the info RayB, that's good to know. I can see how those would be tough to play, so I will certainly try out the free lite versions first with the games that offer that before I spend $ on them. My nephew let me try out playing some games on his ipod, and I admit that playing Assassins Creed just felt really awkward on it, but some of the racing games that take advantage to the ipods accelerometer worked great.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 07:11:17 pm »
Thanks for the info RayB, that's good to know. I can see how those would be tough to play, so I will certainly try out the free lite versions first with the games that offer that before I spend $ on them. My nephew let me try out playing some games on his ipod, and I admit that playing Assassins Creed just felt really awkward on it, but some of the racing games that take advantage to the ipods accelerometer worked great.

I would like to advise everyone not to purchase metal slug... they really screwed up the controls big time on it on the ipod. I have discovered my favorate game though on it, "Skies of Glory". This game is serioulsly addictive and I think it's going on my top 10 list of all time favorite games. Well, I'm off to shoot down some folks online now!  >:D