Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 1975 Atari Crash 'N Score Restoration  (Read 12036 times)

RetroACTIVE

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 04:27:52 pm
  • Gramps
Re: 1975 Atari Crash 'N Score Restoration
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 09:48:51 am »
FWIW... I believe Bob sells perfect replacements for these ...

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/parts.html

8 ohm 12 watt shielded 5" round speaker   $8.00

They are an exact fit for my Atari 4P football... and from what I can tell from the one picture it looks like your cab may use the same size as well.

...and they are shielded if you are worried about that.
Happy Gaming!

hatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2020, 12:47:20 pm
  • Big Brother is Watching You!
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 03:00:16 pm »
The area on the underside of the board, beneath that huge heatsink and ancient IC, is fairly black and brown from the heat.  It would be nice if I could upgrade that heatsink, as its obviously still getting VERY hot.  Its right next to that ceramic resistor too, so that could possible be it.  I'll post pics later of that, as well as some more in-depth pics of the components.

This board is very much like the Sprint 2 board, which I am fairly familiar with. If the area around that heatsink is getting excessively hot, the cause is most likely the 5 volt regulator in the middle of the heatsink. It is probably an lm323, which is an obsolete part, but I think cross references to an NTE931 (from memory, so double check). It also doesn't hurt to replace that resistor with one that is the same ohms value, but higher wattage so it can dissapate more heat.   
Also, the volume is adjustable by a small pot by the large blue capacitor on the front left side of the board. On Sprint 2, there is a pot for each player, but not sure about yours.

Majoraslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2024, 08:26:04 pm
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009, 12:15:01 am »
I found the volume pots, and there are two separate ones for each player.  I'll see if replacing the voltage regulator has any effect.  If nothing else, less heat damage would be a great start.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 09:58:19 pm »
Hey Majoraslayer,

Been almost a year. Have you made any progress on this?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN