Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Standalone "showcase style" CP pedestal plans?  (Read 17551 times)

StudioQue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2010, 02:12:04 pm
Standalone "showcase style" CP pedestal plans?
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:18:14 pm »
I'm in the planning stages of a project I'm working on ( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=91733.0 ), and am unsure of where to start in the design of a stand-alone pedestal for a showcase styled cabinet.

Has anyone worked on something similar or seen plans for something similar they'd be able to share? Have had a hard time finding something to base my initial measurements on.

Thanks!

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
Re: Standalone "showcase style" CP pedestal plans?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:31:23 pm »
Here are some details that I have.  They don't have measurements though.  If you need exact measurements, let me know and I'll get you any that you need.  It may take a day or two but I can do it fairly easily, if not very quickly.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:54:02 pm »
Jake's got plans for the Dynamo Showcases:

http://www.jakobud.com/
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

StudioQue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 03:56:53 pm »
Awesome, this is a great help..thanks!

I may take you up on some measurements after I've had a chance to digest this a bit...

I'm assuming this is designed for the control section and cabinet section to be connected. Have you tried using the control section when its not connected to the cabinet? Do you think it would be sturdy/balanced enough to be used on its own?

Do you have a top-down view of the control section? I'm trying to determine if the "wings" that stick out at the base of the control panel (looking at sc33_4.jpg) come out at right angles or if they are angled back a bit more. I think i'd prefer mine angled back, but want to make sure it won't compromise stability.

What size monitor is in the cabinet? What's the distance from the monitor to where you stand when playing? Just trying to get an idea of how far back my control section should be from my TV.

Thanks!!

StudioQue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:58:36 pm »

Thanks, I did forget to mention that I had found those plans and have been reviewing them. I don't have much/any experience building these things and wasn't sure if the CP stand in this build could stand on its own or needed additional support. Any thoughts on that?

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 04:06:02 pm »

Thanks, I did forget to mention that I had found those plans and have been reviewing them. I don't have much/any experience building these things and wasn't sure if the CP stand in this build could stand on its own or needed additional support. Any thoughts on that?

I have a Dynamo Showcase and have never actually attached the pedestal to the monitor stand -- never had a problem.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Paladin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:42:27 pm »
Careful with the jakobud plans, I found some of the measurements contradict each other.  I made my cabinet based on those plans, but made some changes on the fly.  The cabinet turned out really nice, but my med res monitor is currently broke.  I sent the chassis out for repair, and it came back still broke.  It's out again as of now.

You can check out my website for more build pictures and comments:
http://home.comcast.net/~dark.paladin/gauntlet

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 09:51:37 pm »
You should find if you angle the back slightly the pedestal will be plenty sturdy enough - ours uses wheels at the front and rubber feet at the back and it's plenty sturdy enough for hectic gaming:

StudioQue

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 02:21:02 pm »
Awesome, thanks for the great feedback – made me feel a lot better about what I wanted to do now. The Dynamo build sounds like a great starting place for me - glad you were able to confirm the cp can stand on its own. Just have to keep an eye out for those conflicting measurements!

Paladin, looks like you used a 38" monitor...I was planning on using a 36" CRT TV. Is the distance between where you stand and the monitor comfortable for you? Would you recommend bringing it closer or further away?

Thanks for the advice guys -- its much appreciated!

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 04:19:24 pm »
You should find if you angle the back slightly the pedestal will be plenty sturdy enough - ours uses wheels at the front and rubber feet at the back and it's plenty sturdy enough for hectic gaming:

that looks exactly what my friend wants to build, to use with his LCD tv that is wall mounted...would you mind providing some rough dimensions of that unit?

Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Turnarcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2017, 08:14:29 am
  • Craig @ Turnarcades
    • Turnarcades
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 11:43:03 pm »
No worries. The whole unit's about 39" x 38" x 15" (HxWxD). I'll check the plans when I hit the office in the morning...

Paladin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 11:57:37 pm »
The distance feels perfect to me.  Of course since my monitor freaks out after half an hour or so, I haven't had a marathon gaming session on it.