Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook Error  (Read 24868 times)

hypernova

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
Microsoft Outlook Error
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:45:45 pm »
In the last couple months, at one point, my laptop's Outlook program stopped working correctly.  I've tried uninstalling it, and I get the same message anyway, with reboots in between to ensure everything is wiped clean.  I've tried off and on to fix this damn issue, and my searches and efforts have yielded absolutely no results.  Here's the problem.  When I open Outlook, I am greeted with this message:
You have a previous version of the Microsoft Exchange Messaging Service.  Create a new profile.
I click OK, and another message pops up.
Cannot open your default e-mail folders.  The information store could not be opened.
I click OK again.
And Outlook closes.  Doesn't give me a chance to change any settings in Outlook.  I don't even have the MEMS installed on my computer.  Never did.  So how can I uninstall something I've never had?  It's not listed in the control panel for add/remove programs, even when listing the MS programs.
I'm in the process of "acquiring" Exchange.  Just to see if installing then uninstalling it or whatever with it can remedy this problem.  Because it's not about the fact that I can't use it.  It's about the fact I can't figure out how to fix it, short of wiping the HD, which is silly for this.

I have another pc with Outlook, and it works fine.  So if anyone knows what file(s) I need to port over to my laptop to get it to work, I am open to that possibility as well.  Otherwise, I think I'll be trying out Thunderbird soon.  I'd just rather use Outlook because it's what I'm used to, and exposed to most often.
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Microsoft Outlook Error
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:22:20 pm »
You might try deleting your Outlook Mail profile.  I've had strange issues with Outlook where deleting the profile and starting over will correct the problem. 

You will want to make sure you backup your ".pst" file first if you have any locally stored email, calendar, contacts you want to save. Removing your profile is not supposed to delete any files but you can never be too careful.  If all your information is stored on the email server this is not an issue.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012304771033.aspx

Once you delete your profile Outlook should walk you through the email setup wizard the next time you start it.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:23:45 pm »
I've tried uninstalling it, and I get the same message anyway, with reboots in between to ensure everything is wiped clean. 

What are you using to Re-Install it ?
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

hypernova

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:18:57 pm »
You might try deleting your Outlook Mail profile.  I've had strange issues with Outlook where deleting the profile and starting over will correct the problem. 

You will want to make sure you backup your ".pst" file first if you have any locally stored email, calendar, contacts you want to save. Removing your profile is not supposed to delete any files but you can never be too careful.  If all your information is stored on the email server this is not an issue.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012304771033.aspx

Once you delete your profile Outlook should walk you through the email setup wizard the next time you start it.

That did it.  Thank you.  I could not for the life of me figure out where I needed to go.  Also had trouble finding the mail icon.  It was under the 32 bit cp items, not even listed on the normal cp. 

Why in God's name did MS make it so hard to find something so simple?  Makes no sense why it wasn't able to be modified through Outlook itself.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:34:34 am »
Why in God's name did MS make it so hard to find something so simple?  Makes no sense why it wasn't able to be modified through Outlook itself.

That's Microsoft for you. There are times that I find configuring a mishmash of Linux tools is far easier than trying to slug through the crap Microsoft likes to put out.  Seriously, I'm not kidding. I'd rather ---fudgesicle--- with sendmail voodoo than spend more time than I absolutely have to with Outlook.

hypernova

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:44:10 pm »
I'll probably check out Thunderbird eventually anyway at some point.