Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What would need to be done to restore this Galaga?  (Read 5041 times)

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
What would need to be done to restore this Galaga?
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:35:07 am »
I know there isn't much info, but from the (crappy) pics on the craigslist ad, I can tell this is a Galaga-converted-to-multgame cabinet. The obvious things I can think of by looking at the pictures are marquee, artwork, PCB, and possibly CPO.

Can you think of what else I might be in for if I get this cab to restore to Galaga? About how much would I expect for sideart and marquee? And how much do PCBs go for?

Thanks in advance.

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
Re: What would need to be done to restore this Galaga?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:52:34 am »
IMO that is too expensive for a Galaga restoration candidate. The price reflects the multi-game, and since that isn't what you want to do with the cab, that's is expensive as a base price for a restoration.

As afr as your question, you'll need the artwork you pointed out. The coin door isn't original either. You'll have to find out if the insides (wiring) are JAMMAtized.

1. Are the internals JAMMA or is an adapter being used?

2. If the internals are JAMMA, it won't be original, but you could just buy a Galaga PCB to jamma connector.

3. If an adapter is being used with original internals, then you'll just need Galaga PCB.

In any event the price you will pay for what you need, added to the 650.00, makes this cab way too expensive for a resto IMO.

Others may disagree though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:57:54 am by WunderCade »

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:12:31 pm »
IMO that is too expensive for a Galaga restoration candidate.

Yes, I agree. I was thinking of making an offer when she realizes she can't sell it for $650. I am also trying to figure out what I think is a reasonable offer, considering I may be able to sell the existing board to make back a little.

I also forgot about the kickplate art... Damn these Galagas have a lot of art!

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:19:53 pm »
Damn these Galagas have a lot of art!

Not really anymore than most with the kick plate being the item that not all machines have.  If you want to talk about lots of art, try restoring a Tron.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:06:04 pm »
IMO that is too expensive for a Galaga restoration candidate.

Yes, I agree. I was thinking of making an offer when she realizes she can't sell it for $650.

She might.  The multi machines have been making decent money.  That's why I'm making one.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 02:40:48 pm »
She might.  The multi machines have been making decent money.  That's why I'm making one.

That's too bad. Not for you... I mean too bad a Galaga could get turned into this.

But it's probably just my nostalgia - I think I have a place in my heart for a Galaga... not necessarily in my garage, but that's a different problem.

Mauzy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:51:40 pm »
On the other hand, if you could get it for cheaper, you would have what looks to be a very solid cab with a nice monitor. All you would really need to do is get a boardset and possibly a harness/converter. The multi-game board and marquee would probably sell on ebay for a decent price. Galaga artwork has been on ebay a lot recently, but I'm not sure of the quality.

Plus, if you bought it now, you could play whatever is on there now until you have the extra cash in the future to restore.

Sure it might cost you a little more money, but you would be getting it without having to do the woodworking and monitor work. Nearly plug and play.
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 08:35:02 pm »
That's too bad. Not for you... I mean too bad a Galaga could get turned into this.

Agreed.  At least what I'm working on was converted a few times already.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:10:45 am »
The ad was deleted. I guess it sold after all.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 08:10:21 am »
To be honest, she wasn't asking enough at $650. Those crappy multicades sell for big bucks.

Neverending Project

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 01:45:51 pm »
To be honest, she wasn't asking enough at $650. Those crappy multicades sell for big bucks.

Talk about not asking enough... Last week I saw a local craigslist ad for an upright Star Wars in good condition (excellent cab, and monitor faded in and out) being sold with a mid-90's pinball for $500. I replied to the ad and she told me to call back the next morning after 10. When I called at 10:01, she said the cab was sold first thing in the morning. I guess I wasn't first in line.  :cry:

Wade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 07:28:07 pm »
I know there isn't much info, but from the (crappy) pics on the craigslist ad, I can tell this is a Galaga-converted-to-multgame cabinet. The obvious things I can think of by looking at the pictures are marquee, artwork, PCB, and possibly CPO.

Can you think of what else I might be in for if I get this cab to restore to Galaga? About how much would I expect for sideart and marquee? And how much do PCBs go for?

Thanks in advance.

What makes you think that was a Galaga??  Looks like a brand new scratch built multicade to me.  And it's likely worth more than a Galaga anyway.

Wade