... and what an UGLY box is was.
The longer I had it sitting on the cabinet, the more I hated it.
Needless to say... that control panel box now sits in the garage holding household cleaners.
I decided that 3.5 hours wasn't that much time to throw away so a redesign was in order. BUT... I had used up the larger scraps of MDF. It was time to visit the store for some more MDF. Luckily, I still had a largish piece of 5/8" for the control panel top (perfect, as once I add plexi, it's be the perfect 3/4" for the T-molding).
I decided to build the new control panel box from 3/4" MDF (mainly because I wasn't about to special order a sheet of 5/8" just for a control panel).
When I went to the check out at Home Depot, my 1/4 sheet of 3/4" MDF rang up at about $27. Ouch. I knew that there was a problem so I took it back to the racks and found a sales person. It happened that my little piece of MDF had the barcode for the entire sheet attached. I suppose that they forgot to remove it when the cut the sheet into pieces.
With his trusty can of spray paint, the salesperson sprayed over the bardcode and said... there!... now it's $1. Excellent... "such a deal". I was happy.
With my wood in hand... I started my redesign.
This time... I'm going to add some character.
I also realized that I didn't have any slant on the UGLY box... so this new one is 1 inch lower in the front than in the back.
This one took me 6 hours on Memorial Day to build.