Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arbor adventures  (Read 1738 times)

clockwork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2008, 11:15:29 pm
  • Time to play!
Arbor adventures
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:42:53 pm »
After reading the forums here, I figured I'd have trouble finding a 1/16" slot cutting bit locally, but I really wanted to have it for this weekend (short of paying $30 for overnight shipping), so I began the hunt. First place I stopped had a 1/16" bit but no arbor. I tried three other places, no arbor. I haven't tried Lowes or Home Depot (maybe Menard's?) on the other side of town yet.

Is the arbor specific to this bit and to routers or is there something else I should be able to find and make work?
Charlie Brown: I'm still hoping that yesterday will get better.

scotthh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2012, 10:03:42 pm
Re: Arbor adventures
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:45:41 pm »
The most important things are the arbor diameter and that you have a bearing that fits on the arbor.

Look at Whiteside's online catalog. I purchased a 6700A slot cutter and a A210B arbor from holbren. These are listed under "Slotting Cutters/Arbors" If you look under Accessories -  Arbors, they make an A210 arbor which looks like my A210B arbor. The A210 is 2 5/8" long, vs. 2 3/8" for the A210B (all of the other dimensions are the same). The A210B comes with a B5 bearing and three washers, which I don't think the A210 comes with. I would guess that the A210 plus the bearing and washers would be a perfectly fine substitute for the "real thing".  See this thread for info about what to do with the bearing, nut and washers (there are others with contradictory information). But, by the time you get done finding all of that stuff, it would have been easier and quicker to have ordered them and waited for delivery.

Home Depot carries slot cutters and arbors. As does Lowes.

clockwork

• Offline Offline
  • Time to play!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:40:43 pm »
Thanks for the info. The thread was helpful. I ended up finding an arbor (with bearing, nut, and washers) locally. I know I could have gotten them easily online but, as I said, I really wanted them for this weekend and without having to pay the outrageous price for 1-2 day delivery.

scotthh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2012, 10:03:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 06:11:54 pm »
Just make sure you put the slot cutter on the right way. See this thread to read about what happens if it's reversed, and the right way to put it on. I usually just compare the slot cutter and arbor to a cove, rabbeting or round over bit to make sure the carbide blades are facing the right way. Make some nice slots this weekend!

clockwork

• Offline Offline
  • Time to play!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:41:09 pm »
I did consider direction of the blade and compared it to the pics in the first thread you sent me. I set it up and did a test cut tonight. Seemed to go well. Tomorrow will be the real thing. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:51:33 am »
Im keeping my fingers crossed that you keep your fingers! 

Good luck  :)

clockwork

• Offline Offline
  • Time to play!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 09:18:28 pm »
Hehe, thanks. Slots are cut. Fingers are intact. It was a good day.  ;D