Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Side Quest / Easter Egg Question  (Read 1574 times)

97thruhiker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2014, 01:55:30 pm
Side Quest / Easter Egg Question
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:16:22 pm »
I've got a question for those of you here dealing with a games side quests / hidden secrets.  Am I stupid or can most of you here figure out all the various side quests / secrets in a game without looking at a guide or walkthrough?  I have been playing the Legend of Zelda Wind Waker (absolutely love the game) and was having trouble with one of the bosses.  I resisted as long as I could but finally looked online at one of IGN's guides for help.  When I looked I saw a link to some of the sidequests and was floored at all of the different things that can be done outside the direct line of finishing the game.  I would of never thought to do many of the things listed.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: Side Quest / Easter Egg Question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 12:20:15 pm »
It is best to just beat a game and be done with it. Anything else is just a waste of time. When I played Kingdom hearts, there were a TON of side projects, all of which weren't even remotely required to beat the game. After I beat it, I started trying to collect all of the Dalmations, trying to make all of the items, etc. It was all a waste of time and nothing extra was accomplished by it. You could play on to beat a few special bosses, which was neat. Those extra missions are fine by me.

DaveMMR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
Re: Side Quest / Easter Egg Question
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:46:08 pm »
Am I stupid or can most of you here figure out all the various side quests / secrets in a game without looking at a guide or walkthrough? 

Depends.  As a rule, I try not to look at walkthroughs (where's the challenge when you're being told how to beat it).  But occasionally, I'll give a glance if I'm really stuck or, as you said, you want to find out what else you can do to extend a game's life.   I have this feeling that some quests/secrets are really obscure on purpose just so they can sell strategy guides.