Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Thought this was Interesting  (Read 3231 times)

97thruhiker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2014, 01:55:30 pm
Thought this was Interesting
« on: December 24, 2007, 04:06:14 pm »
In the holiday shopping spirit I thought this news story was interesting.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/12/21/slackers-employees-explain-wii-scalping-business

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Thought this was Interesting
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 05:04:44 pm »

Eh, I just don't see a reason to be outraged.  It's not a vaccine.  It's a consumer electronic.

97thruhiker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2014, 01:55:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 08:19:25 pm »
I didn't say I was outraged, not sure where you got that from.  Thought it was interesting with all the shopping stories you always seem to hear about this time of year.

tommy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 01:16:58 am »
I'm outraged. Retail stores are not supposed to scalp their stock to the highest bidder.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 03:40:59 am »
I'm outraged. Retail stores are not supposed to scalp their stock to the highest bidder.

Then what's markup?

MSRP is just that, a suggested retail from the manufacturer. As far as I know, there is no obligation by anyone to actually sell it at that price.

I don't agree with it, I don't think it's right. But what are you going to do? Go home and cry to Nintendo on the phone?

I was ---smurfing--- pissed when stores were selling then brand new Xboxes and PS3's as bundles at nearly double the MSRP of the standalone with no option to buy just a core unit (despite the fact the consoles sold were core units). It was such a ---smurfing--- rip off that people were buying the bundles and returning the extra crap until the stores caught on. But in the end, what are you going to do? There is nothing anywhere that says this can't be done.

tommy

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 04:30:43 am »

Then what's markup?

Markups are not an auction, It maybe a bit more then the suggested price but I can deal with that. It's also not taken out of the stores where people should be able to buy these things and have no choice but to get ripped off if they really want to buy it.

It's almost like selling water to thirsty people at a high price who really need it. It's not right for a store to do. An independent person can get away with it but not a store, they shouldn't anyway.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 04:34:03 am by tommy »

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:57:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 09:16:56 am »

I can't believe you have a retail chain called slackers. Do they not work very hard?

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 10:34:14 am »
Frankly, I prefer the auctioning to the bundles.  Something about it strikes me as more up front.  I mean, sure, I'd rather pay MSRP.  And, in fact, I'd just go without the item rather than pay extra in an auction.  But bundles irritate me far worse.  The retailer is doing EXACTLY the same thing, but they're also insulting your intelligence by pretending that they're doing something else.  I don't know.  The retailer is well within its rights to engage in either practice, but something about bundling gets under my skin worse than hocking the stuff on eBay.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

bishmasterb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2014, 09:27:47 pm
  • Pressing the limits of my wife's patience...
    • Bishopzone
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 12:35:31 pm »
Wiis are worth more than $250. Would any of us voluntarily sell something we owned for far less than it was worth? Of course not. So we shouldn't be surprised when a retailer does the same thing.

Frankly, I'd have no problem with them simply marking them up inside the store as it would save lots of time for those willing to pay the price from having to track them down on eBay or elsewhere, but I understand their reasons for going the clandestine route.
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." -Jonathan Swift

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 12:46:11 pm »
Frankly, I prefer the auctioning to the bundles.  Something about it strikes me as more up front.  I mean, sure, I'd rather pay MSRP.  And, in fact, I'd just go without the item rather than pay extra in an auction.  But bundles irritate me far worse.  The retailer is doing EXACTLY the same thing, but they're also insulting your intelligence by pretending that they're doing something else.  I don't know.  The retailer is well within its rights to engage in either practice, but something about bundling gets under my skin worse than hocking the stuff on eBay.

It took me quite a while to find a bundle that included only things I would have bought separately anyway.  Most of them are 3-4 crappy games I'd never buy.  Finally I found one that was "choose any 3 from this list" and I chose Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, and a nunchuk.  I may not have bought those two games immediately but I definitely would have bought them before their prices started dropping.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 01:23:57 pm »
Markups are not an auction, It maybe a bit more then the suggested price but I can deal with that. It's also not taken out of the stores where people should be able to buy these things and have no choice but to get ripped off if they really want to buy it.

I repeat, stores are under no contractual obligation to sell merchandise at a physical brick & mortar store. Nor are they under any obligation to sell such merchandise at a reasonable price. If the price is pushed up too high, then people simply won't buy, it's that simple.

Do I think it's always the right thing to do? No, I don't. But I'm not going to ---smurfette--- about it because the same mechanism that allows stores like Slackers to rip people off also allows other stores to under sell their competition.

It's almost like selling water to thirsty people at a high price who really need it. It's not right for a store to do. An independent person can get away with it but not a store, they shouldn't anyway.

Again, it's an issue of supply and demand. Have you seen the soda vending machines with thermometers built in? As the temperature rises, the machine will actually bump the price of a soda up to whatever the vendor specifies. One machine I spotted was charging almost $1.50 per can when the weather got too hot. Right now, with the rain and the cold, I believe the same machine charges something like .60 or .65 per can. I remember how pissed I was when I encountered that machine for the first time.

I agree it's not right, but trying to change that kind of mechanism violates the entrepreneurial principle this country depends on.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 01:27:28 pm »

People really need a Wii in the same manner thirsty people need water?  Seriously - it's a game device.  It's not clean water or medication.

bishmasterb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2014, 09:27:47 pm
  • Pressing the limits of my wife's patience...
    • Bishopzone
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 06:07:40 pm »
IANAL, but I don't think it's legal for manufacturers to set retail prices (price fixing). Even with Saturn dealers, GM could only apply rules that said they had to have a fixed-price (no negotiating), but they couldn't tell the dealers what price they could sell cars for.

The reason I assume you don't see very much price differentiation BELOW the MSRP is because the margins are tight. And I assume the reason you don't see very much price differentiation ABOVE the MSRP is because the MSRP is so well advertised and consumers are typically very aware of it, and charging a premium would cause anger among consumers (see this thread!).
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." -Jonathan Swift

slycrel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2022, 06:20:59 pm
  • Mmm... Portal.
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 08:53:07 pm »
For me, I really don't give a rip if they're selling wii's higher than MSRP.  I do care that they are lying to people that they don't have them in stock and are instead selling them on ebay.

Yeah, thjey can do whatever they want in that regard.  I am just surprised they feel the need to lie about it.  That implies that what they are doing is wrong or in some way, shape or form needs covered up.  And if that's the case...  is the potential loss of reputation worth a few hundred bucks?

Spaz Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2011, 11:33:55 pm
  • Hit me with a chicken quesadilla and a Coke.
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 09:26:36 pm »
Remember, it's the mfg's SUGGESTED retail price.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 03:31:44 am »
wii is still hard to find ? I saw like 30 of em at best buy last week  :dunno

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 08:38:51 am »

It's probably regional distribution issues. In my city, every store I've checked out don't have enough and half of them have purchasing restrictions. ie, one wii per person per day.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 01:29:34 pm »
IANAL, but I don't think it's legal for manufacturers to set retail prices (price fixing). Even with Saturn dealers, GM could only apply rules that said they had to have a fixed-price (no negotiating), but they couldn't tell the dealers what price they could sell cars for.

The reason I assume you don't see very much price differentiation BELOW the MSRP is because the margins are tight. And I assume the reason you don't see very much price differentiation ABOVE the MSRP is because the MSRP is so well advertised and consumers are typically very aware of it, and charging a premium would cause anger among consumers (see this thread!).

No, I think this is incorrect re video games.  Also look at magazines and newspapers... I think the situation is the same.  Retailer doesn't really own the goods, they just facilitate the sale and take a margin off the top, and then the distributor takes back unsold product and does something else with it.  I'm sure once a game gets old, the situation changes.

I'm not talking about premiums, I'm talking about this is the reason Wal-Mart doesn't clear out dud games at $30 when they're two weeks old.

Err.... No. AFAIK, that business model for video games hasn't been around since the NES days. Retailers buy their stock prior to sale. Manufacturers can buy back their stock if they so choose, but they're generally under no obligation to do so. And sorry, Wal*Mart does clear out their games from time to time. In fact, Wal*Mart has a clearance bin filled with nothing but poor selling games at $5 to $15 a pop.

Most stores do employ a similar model to what you're describing. However the store does own the goods once it is in their posession. There is a business model (I can't recall what it's called right now) where they either get credit for damaged merchandise (common) or the manufacturer buys back the merchandise (rare). From most manufacturers, there is usually a monthly limit to this quantity based on the merchandise purchased. This prevents a retailer from returning their entire stock if it doesn't sell (though this isn't unheard of either but it is not nearly as common as what Nintendo did during the NES cycle).

This is why sales numbers from companies like Sony and Microsoft tend to be heavily skewed. They're not counting actual consoles sold at the retailers, they're counting consoles sold to retailers.

The difference is minor on paper, but it makes a world of difference in terms of who gets what in profits and where stock goes.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 01:32:28 pm »
In fact, Wal*Mart has a clearance bin filled with nothing but poor selling games at $5 to $15 a pop.

When they're two weeks old?  Show me where.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 02:59:18 pm »
In fact, Wal*Mart has a clearance bin filled with nothing but poor selling games at $5 to $15 a pop.
When they're two weeks old?  Show me where.

That's out of context.

And sorry, Wal*Mart does clear out their games from time to time. In fact, Wal*Mart has a clearance bin filled with nothing but poor selling games at $5 to $15 a pop.

Wal*Mart does eventually mark down titles. Come to think of it, a two week markdown on titles is a bit of a exaggeration. Stores sit on some ridiculously crappy titles priced out at MSRP for months before marking them down. There's a shop downtown that sits on titles so long, they're covered in thick dust before the owner marks them down. Picked up a MIB B&W Gameboy title for $5 that had been sitting there for God knows how long.

Edit: fixed spelling.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:27:54 pm by SavannahLion »

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 03:09:19 pm »

If I saw 30 of them I would probably buy 20 of them and turn around and sale them on ebay.

Just did a quick check and the lowest price I saw them going for is $300 for the stock system not including shipping.  If you had all 30 of them thats a cool $1500 minimum profit, probably closer to $2000.
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 03:11:37 pm »

Yeah, if he had up 7.5-8 grand available to do it (depending on sales tax).

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 08:41:26 pm »

If I saw 30 of them I would probably buy 20 of them and turn around and sale them on ebay.

Just did a quick check and the lowest price I saw them going for is $300 for the stock system not including shipping.  If you had all 30 of them thats a cool $1500 minimum profit, probably closer to $2000.

hmm...I didnt realize wii was still hard to find. that and I wouldnt take a chance with 20 wiis. I will probably get 4-5 next time I am at bestbuy though..they always have them on sunday and monday.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 08:43:27 pm by SNAAKE »