Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CPWizard v2.63 Released  (Read 223429 times)

Charles4400

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2016, 02:31:42 am
Re: CPWizard v2.0 Released
« Reply #360 on: January 06, 2009, 01:15:51 pm »
Hey HK! As a follow up on an earlier post, how is the below possible???:  :dunno

Here is the conrol layout generated for 'asteroid':

But here is the CPWizard\data\controls.xml for 'asteroid':

<game romname="asteroid" gamename="Asteroids (rev 2)" numPlayers="2" alternating="0" mirrored="1" usesService="0" tilt="0" cocktail="0">
      <miscDetails>
      </miscDetails>
      <player number="1" numButtons="5">
         <controls>
            <control name="Directional Buttons(2-way left/right)">
               <constant name="joy2way"/>
            </control>
         </controls>
      <labels>
            <label name="P1_BUTTON7" value="Rotate Left"/>
            <label name="P1_BUTTON1" value="Rotate Right"/>
            <label name="P1_BUTTON2" value="Thrust"/>
            <label name="P1_BUTTON3" value="Fire"/>
            <label name="P1_BUTTON6" value="Hyper Space"/>
         </labels>
      </player>
   </game>

Why does player 2 controls show up correctly but not player 1, even though controls are mirrored??

The keys are mapped correctly in CPwiz as many games show up correctly, but I am having problems with the games having 2 directional buttons.....are there other files besides controls.xml I need to edit?

Please help as this is driving me kinda nuts and I think I sprouted a few more gray hairs over this! :banghead:

Thanks!

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #361 on: January 07, 2009, 04:44:26 am »
Editing controls.xml is just going to screw things up in the long run. If your using a ctrlr file make sure your mame.ini is in Mame's root folder. Make sure your labels match those you set in cfg\default.cfg and cfg\[rom].cfg. Sometimes deleting default.cfg or all the cfg's in the cfg folder improves the mapping in CPWizard. Only map the controls you need.

So basically you shouldn't be editing controls.xml at all. CPWizard maps controls for you. The most common reason labels double up is because Player 3 defaults double up the inputs. Press tab in Mame and select "input (general)" and set the P3 Up, P3 Down, P3 Left and P3 Right to none.

Popcorrin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 11:11:43 am
« Reply #362 on: January 07, 2009, 09:19:06 am »
Headkaze,
   Would support for animated gifs be a possibility?

Charles4400

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2016, 02:31:42 am
« Reply #363 on: January 07, 2009, 03:31:58 pm »
Thanks HK I followed the advice you mentioned but am still not able to properly map the controls of games which use directional buttons instead of the joystick by just changing the 'cpntrols for this game' option within mame within the game....

I was able to finally do it however but by manipulating the controls.xml which you told me is not a good thing to do though , but that's the only way I was able to do it...

Do games like asteroid, asteroid deluxe, armor attack, etc... all work correctly on your end as far as the control panel layout and manipulating the controls from just within mame?

flowbot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2009, 09:13:52 pm
« Reply #364 on: January 08, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
I can't seem to apply the bezel patch to 129 using the
Mame compiler without getting an error, saying 1 out of 3 hunks failed or something like that. I've tried applying the patch before the hiscore one and I've also tried it after and I get errors either way. Does the 127 bezel patch still work with 129?

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #365 on: January 08, 2009, 02:10:05 pm »
I can't seem to apply the bezel patch to 129 using the
Mame compiler without getting an error, saying 1 out of 3 hunks failed or something like that. I've tried applying the patch before the hiscore one and I've also tried it after and I get errors either way. Does the 127 bezel patch still work with 129?
Yes, the 127 bezel patch will work with .129.  It will give a message stating that 1 out of 3 hunks failed, but it still works and I've not had a problem with it yet.

flowbot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2009, 09:13:52 pm
« Reply #366 on: January 08, 2009, 05:25:32 pm »
Awesome!  Thanks for the quick reply :-)

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #367 on: January 08, 2009, 06:46:12 pm »
Stupid control panel viewer n00b question   :-[

I was going to use Johnny5 for my cab, but CPWizard seems to have the most current development and awesome HeadKaze support, so I think I'm leaning towards CPWizard now...

I'm not sure if CPWizard does all that I want it to, though.  Here's what I'd like.  I can't tell fer sher from the CPWizard homepage, the wiki, or this thread if I can do all of these things.  [where's the "duh" smiley anyway???]

I'm using MaLa & 5 versions of MAME (ranging from .082 to .115u2, though 99% of the time, I'm using .115) & Daphne.  Because of HD storage limitations and to keep the flexibility of reassigning buttons later on, I'd like CPWizard to generate images on the fly instead of making a library of images that are pulled up when needed.

1 - When I launch a game from MaLa, I want CPWizard to pop up & stay up until a key is pressed.  Then the emulator will load.

2 - When CPWizard pops up, I want it to display its graphics over 1 of 3 images, depending on what game is selected: 1-photo of my default control panel, 2-photo of my panel with the 2nd trackball (X-Arcade) placed on it, 3-photo of my light guns).  99% of the time, image 1 will be used.

3 - I'd like CPWizard to show some indicator of rotating my joysticks from 4-way to 8-way as needed for a game, and perhaps also indicating that the rotary function of sticks are used when launching a rotary stick game.

4 - I'd like to be able to pause a game.  I'd also like to be able to bring up CPWizard in game play (either when paused or not) to be able to review the controls.  I don't necessarily always want to show the CPWizard screen when I pause.  So, I envision using good old "P" to pause, like normal, and then have a separate button to bring up CPWizard (I already have a button labeled "INFO" that's used in MaLa to bring up the info window).

All doable?

Thanks--sorry for the lameness of my inquiry:  :dizzy:
-Jason

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #368 on: January 09, 2009, 06:36:03 am »
1 - Yes you can do that. Infact you can have a timer (which I recommend) but if you interact with CPWizard while it's waiting it will stop the count down and stay open until you exit. You will need to use the -show command line option and if you want a countdown use -timeout.

Eg.
Code: [Select]
CPWizard.exe -emu mame -game {ROM} -timeout 5000
or

CPWizard.exe -emu mame -game {ROM} -show
2 - Currently there is no way to show multiple layouts. Most people create a layout that will fit on the screen. If you want to show other layouts you can use "Layout Override" which you save layouts to the Layout\Mame folder and it will look for {ROM}.xml but you can also have layout overrides for parents Eg. neogeo.xml etc. You can also use "Layout Maps" which allow you to use layouts based on control type, number of players or alternating controls. Very handy to show a certain layout for all lightgun and mahjong games for instance.

3 - Again you can use layout overrides or layout maps along with "Custom Text" labels to show anything you want.

4 - You can use a different button to show CPWizard just turn off "Use Output System" in Mame Options and then set your "Show Key" in Input Options to whatever you like.

BTW There is a help file included with CPWizard but it's a bit old. You can access it by selecting Help->Help from the menu.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #369 on: January 09, 2009, 06:39:14 am »
Do games like asteroid, asteroid deluxe, armor attack, etc... all work correctly on your end as far as the control panel layout and manipulating the controls from just within mame?

The only problems at the moment are analog controls which only have one input code per axis. That makes it hard for me to map and I haven't got around to solving that yet.

But for everything else it should map fine. If you post your Mame's cfg\default.cfg, cfg\asteroid.cfg, ctrlr file (if using one), CPWizard.ini, your layout xml, and then I can take a look for you.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #370 on: January 09, 2009, 06:41:15 am »
Headkaze,
   Would support for animated gifs be a possibility?

Not for now, as I made a bad design decision in the begging of coding CPWizard to support DirectDraw overlays. This meant I had to redraw the entire screen every time the display updated which means it's slow. If I had of designed it not to support them (which I've removed now anyway) I could have had faster rendering by drawing only the graphics that need updating. Maybe one day I'll fix all that.

TAG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2014, 05:52:05 pm
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »
Is CPWizard case sensitive when it comes to the rom names?  For example, if the commandline sends it "MSH" instead of "msh," will that affect whether CPWizard can pull anything up?  Thanks!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

urbecrisch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 08:05:57 pm
  • I was the S**T back in '82
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2009, 04:04:24 pm »
I recently installed Hyperspin v0.8.  Now when I turn on my cab (cpu), CPWiz opens a new window maximized and I cannot use the mouse to exit CP Wiz.  The previous version of Hyperspin did not cause this problem with CPWiz so when I would turn on my cab, CPWiz was running in the background so I'm wondering what can be done so I can use both programs.

TAG

• Offline Offline
« Reply #373 on: January 15, 2009, 05:48:11 pm »
Is CPWizard case sensitive when it comes to the rom names?  For example, if the commandline sends it "MSH" instead of "msh," will that affect whether CPWizard can pull anything up?  Thanks!

Repeated testing seems to indicate that CPWizard is indeed case sensitive in that respect.  Any way to work around that, as my only other option is to regenerate my Mamewah lists (or change them all by hand...ugh)?  Thanks!

Oh, and the program works great for me otherwise!  Really a quality piece of work!!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

-- Dirk Gently

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #374 on: January 16, 2009, 05:17:20 pm »
urbecrisch: Have you reported this to BadBoyBill?

TAG: Thanks for the kind words. Yes I believe the ROM name is case sensitive. I believe I can fix that for next version.

TAG

• Offline Offline
« Reply #375 on: January 16, 2009, 06:09:51 pm »

TAG: Thanks for the kind words. Yes I believe the ROM name is case sensitive. I believe I can fix that for next version.

Oh, great!  I was dreading my other options, so I'll just hold out until the next release, then!  Great program + Responsive creator = Happy users!

-- Dirk Gently

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #376 on: January 16, 2009, 06:11:46 pm »

HK, I have CPWiz working fine in HyperSpin without issue. I think the problem is that Urbecrisch's issue is because he is running a real old version of CPWiz.  I've advised that he setup the newest version and see if that works.

urbecrisch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 08:05:57 pm
  • I was the S**T back in '82
« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2009, 09:22:31 am »
i have yet to install an updated version of cpwiz but i'm sure the problem will be fixed once i do that. if the prob persists i will post in hs forum.

*EDIT*
New version fixed problem
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:03:19 am by urbecrisch »

blind_dado

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2019, 07:34:32 pm
    • Arcade Odyssey
« Reply #378 on: January 25, 2009, 11:55:57 pm »
In Controls.xml, why is asteroids and asteroids deluxe listed with  <Constant Name="joy2way" />?  Shouldn't they be <Control Name="Just Buttons">, and the number of button as 5 instead of 3?  And left and right are identified with joystick left and right instead of buttons.

In CPWizard, it always shows left and right on the joysticks, even though I've remapped left and right to buttons in the gamename.cfg file, and that remapping works when playing the game.

Will it fix things if I edit this:
        <Label Name="P1_JOYSTICK_RIGHT" Value="ROTATE RIGHT" Color="White" />
        <Label Name="P1_JOYSTICK_LEFT" Value="ROTATE LEFT" Color="White" />

To this:
        <Label Name="P1_BUTTON4" Value="Rotate Left" Color="White" />
        <Label Name="P1_BUTTON5" Value="Rotate Right" Color="White" />

?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
Re: CPWizard v2.1 Released
« Reply #379 on: January 27, 2009, 10:20:18 am »
Version 2.1 Released

- Analog inputs now supported. Mame ROM name now lower case. Added Show Retry. Improved Show/Hide

Really important update. I hope I've fixed the show problem for good now. There is a new "Show Retry" option which will attempt to show CPW a number of times if it fails but I don't think I needed to add that in the end. Please let me know if you are still having problems with CPW not showing.

Analog inputs are now supported. I had to do a few changes to implement this but it seems to work well. You have to use the digital input labels in CPW and it will map the analog codes to digital codes.

When the ROM named is passed via command line it now forces it to lower case.

TAG

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: January 27, 2009, 11:26:26 am »
Let me be the first to say "thanks" for the update!  Not only do you add things that will help most users (the analog input support), but you also take time to add things that might only be needed by one user (like the lowercase forcing).  You're a real asset to the community!!

I'm really looking forward to trying it out tonight!

-- Dirk Gently

doctorhifi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2013, 08:21:41 am
    • My cabinet
« Reply #381 on: January 27, 2009, 01:10:48 pm »
This app is great.  Been using it since version 1.0

Dumb  request:   

When the CPW menu is up and you are selecting the various items to view using the joystick up/down,
would be nice if instead of it stopping at the end of the list it would just continue back to the top of the list.

Does that make sense and is it possible?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #382 on: January 27, 2009, 03:10:48 pm »
Verson 2.11 Released

- Added scrollbars to the text viewer, menus now loop around

;)

doctorhifi

• Offline Offline
    • My cabinet
« Reply #383 on: January 27, 2009, 04:02:59 pm »
 :applaud: :notworthy:

Popcorrin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 11:11:43 am
« Reply #384 on: January 27, 2009, 05:59:42 pm »
Verson 2.11 Released

- Added scrollbars to the text viewer, menus now loop around

;)

HK,  doctorhifi asked for that feature at 1:10 p.m. EST and it took you until 3:10 p.m. EST to get it taken care of.   I think we would all agree that you could do a little better than that!

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #385 on: January 28, 2009, 01:35:27 am »
HK,  doctorhifi asked for that feature at 1:10 p.m. EST and it took you until 3:10 p.m. EST to get it taken care of.   I think we would all agree that you could do a little better than that!

Must be getting slow in my old age  ;D

TAG

• Offline Offline
« Reply #386 on: January 28, 2009, 10:44:40 am »
Headkaze, I tried out the new version last night and it took care of my issues perfectly.  Thanks again!

-- Dirk Gently

redketchup

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2021, 09:22:45 pm
« Reply #387 on: January 28, 2009, 07:02:38 pm »
Hi I just try to set up cpwizard  to see the control panel just when I launch a game in mamewah. I use this command line in the pre emul command line :
C:\Program Files\CPWizard\CPWizard.exe -emu mame -game {roms} -show

and I get only my control panel with all the keycode in it, not the real button.

what i have done wrong...
thanks Gino

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #388 on: January 29, 2009, 12:13:46 am »
Try something like this

### Execution Settings ###
pre_emulator_app_commandlines             
emulator_commandline                             C:\Program Files\CPWizard\CPWizard.exe -emu mame -game [name] -timeout 5000 {nodosbox} {safelaunch}

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:29 am »
Version 2.12 Released

- Bug fixes. Improved Show/Hide.

Again important update. I accidently left some debug code in the last release and a few things I have improved in the Show/Hide rountines.

redketchup

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2021, 09:22:45 pm
Re: CPWizard v2.12 Released
« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2009, 08:16:57 am »
thank's work perfectly

doctorhifi

• Offline Offline
    • My cabinet
« Reply #391 on: January 31, 2009, 07:09:33 pm »
I'm still having CPW pop up when I attempt to load or save a save state from within mame.
Was that glitch ever resolved and I just missed it?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #392 on: January 31, 2009, 08:48:46 pm »
I'm still having CPW pop up when I attempt to load or save a save state from within mame.
Was that glitch ever resolved and I just missed it?

The only way to solve this at the moment is to set the following option in mame.ini to auto save state.

autosave                  1

doctorhifi

• Offline Offline
    • My cabinet
« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2009, 10:10:12 pm »
I'll give it a try.
thanks

doctorhifi

• Offline Offline
    • My cabinet
v2.13 only works one time per mame execution for me
« Reply #394 on: February 01, 2009, 12:55:57 am »
I'm using v2.13 and for some reason CPW only works the first time I run mame. 

That first time it works as normal- pause brings up the CPW menu and I can select the various items.  But when I EXIT from the CPW menu for some reason CPW shuts down completely.
I've looked at the verbose log but I can't see anything obvious, not seeing any error reports.

Thoughts?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
Re: v2.13 only works one time per mame execution for me
« Reply #395 on: February 01, 2009, 05:01:54 am »
I'm using v2.13 and for some reason CPW only works the first time I run mame. 

That first time it works as normal- pause brings up the CPW menu and I can select the various items.  But when I EXIT from the CPW menu for some reason CPW shuts down completely.
I've looked at the verbose log but I can't see anything obvious, not seeing any error reports.

Thoughts?

*blush* yeah a small bug that was introduced recently. Try and download again ;)

doctorhifi

• Offline Offline
    • My cabinet
« Reply #396 on: February 01, 2009, 11:15:03 am »
That took care of it, thanks.

There is a HiToText error on certain games.  Try loading X-men (4 player) or The Simpsons using all the default settings and I think you'll see what I mean.
Windows brings up a dialogue box saying that HiToText has to close and after you turn off that box CPW menu comes up and works as normal.
So something is causing HiToText to close.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #397 on: February 01, 2009, 11:28:19 am »
That took care of it, thanks.

There is a HiToText error on certain games.  Try loading X-men (4 player) or The Simpsons using all the default settings and I think you'll see what I mean.
Windows brings up a dialogue box saying that HiToText has to close and after you turn off that box CPW menu comes up and works as normal.
So something is causing HiToText to close.

Can you please post a screenshot or paste the message here please? Also please post the CPWizard.log if there is an error message there.

doctorhifi

• Offline Offline
    • My cabinet
« Reply #398 on: February 01, 2009, 02:51:12 pm »
Here ya go

This is trying to bring up cpw while playing the game x-men.  I also found this happens when I tried Simpsons, but those are the only more than 2-player games I tried.
If I try cpw while playing a 2-player only game like 1942 it works fine, no errors.  I haven't tried more 2-player games to see if they also work, but perhaps it has something to do with 3-4 player games?

Fyrecrypts

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2015, 10:50:47 am
  • .hi guy
« Reply #399 on: February 01, 2009, 03:11:22 pm »
Here ya go

This is trying to bring up cpw while playing the game x-men.  I also found this happens when I tried Simpsons, but those are the only more than 2-player games I tried.
If I try cpw while playing a 2-player only game like 1942 it works fine, no errors.  I haven't tried more 2-player games to see if they also work, but perhaps it has something to do with 3-4 player games?

Could you please zip up those two .hi files, I'm guessing xmen.hi, and simpsons.hi, and upload them? I think this is a problem with HiToText unable to read something correctly.
Help us crack more .hi files here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=83614.0
Generate the newest hiscore.dat here:
http://www.hitotext.com/HiScoreDat/index.php
Sourceforge project page:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hitotext