Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LEDBlinky - Arcade LED Control software and Animation Editor - v8.2  (Read 550871 times)

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 10:31:32 pm
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
LEDBlinky - Arcade LED Control software and Animation Editor (v8.2)

Version 8.2
- Added Pixelcade Ticker mode; Scrolls RSS feed(s) when front-end screen-saver is active.
- Added Pixelcade Continuous Cycle mode; Cycles between custom text and image or animation when a game is active.
- Added GRS tos428 Restrictor integration; Set tos428 Restrictor (for Sanwa joysticks) to 4-way or 8-way based on active game.
- Modified to search for hi2txt data files in <mame>\hiscore folder (in addition to \hi and \nvram folders).
- Added hi2txt data folder override setting.
- Fixed bug when lighting LaunchBox/BigBox button assigned to the keypad asterisk (star) key.
- Fixed bug in GameEx plugins which prevented Pixelcade from displaying Game Name during screen-saver mode.
- Fixed bug when comparing LEDBlinkky.exe and Settings.ini versions for beta build releases.
- Included msvcr100.dll with RocketBlinky installation to allow the app to run on Windows 11.
- Moved UltraStikTest and ServoStikTest apps to \jdr folder.

Version 8.1
LEDBlinky
- Added integration for CoinOps and RetroFE front-ends.
- Added "Game Pause" (16) and "Game Unpause" (17) commands. These commands should only  be executed while a game/emulator is active.
- Modified manual "Set LED Port" command (14) so that the specified port(s) will not be affected by a running animation.
LEDBlinky Controls Editor
- Moved "LEDBlinky" menu option under a new "Test" menu and renamed to "Test LEDBlinky".
- Moved the "Test Single LED" and "Test RGB LED" selection lists from the Edit Controls window to a new "Options" menu under Test menu.

Version 8.0
LEDBlinky:
- Added feature to run external applications on LEDBlinky events.
- Added Serial communication protocol for LEDBlinky Output System.
- Modified how Start and Coin button voice actions are determined; Voice actions can be defined for individual games using the Controls Editor (RocketBlinky does this also). If no voice action is defined, the default values "Start Game" and "Insert Coin" will be used. The default values can be manually overridden in the Settings.ini file, under [GameOptions].
- Modified to better handle "stuck" joystick signals from Ultimarc joysticks.
- Modified to include debug data for controls with no input codes defined. This should help the LEDBlinkyTroubleshooter app provide better information.
- Modified to display 'New Version Available' messages on the splash screen. Other critical messages may also be displayed.
- Updated RocketBlinky Base.xml file to include data for LaunchBox and updated values for other FEs.
LEDBlinky Config
- Modified to save on exit when LEDBlinkyInputMap.xml is not detected and user answers "No" when prompted if the the control panel has any LEDs.
- Added "Use Default Start/Coin Voice Actions For All Games" option. With this option enabled, any custom voice actions defined using the Controls Editor (or RocketBlinky) will be ignored. This can be used to replicate the voice action logic prior to the 7.3 update.
- Added "Messages" to main menu. Under Messages there are two options; "Check Now" to check for any messages, and "Check at Startup" to toggle the feature (on by default).
- Added "Support Key" under "Help" menu. The support key may be required to resolve some support issues.
- Modified to confirm LEDBlinky.exe version matches settings.ini version.
- Modified "About" menu option to additionally display LEDBlinky support applications versions.
- Removed "Enabled" from "Enable Cabinet LEDs" checkbox.
- Removed "Enabled" from "Enable LEDBlinky Output" checkbox.
- Removed "Enabled" from "Enable Pixelcade" checkbox.
- Fixed error when enabling Cabinet LEDs and no LED controllers are active.
LEDBlinky Controls Editor
- Modified to allow setting "Voice Action" value for Start and Coin buttons. If not set, the global default value (as defined in settings.ini) will be used.
- Added feature when using the "Copy ROM/Game" option; if the destination emulator has any unknown games (same as from the "Import Unknown Games" list), the "ROM/Game" name field will include a drop-down list of the unknown names. This can be useful when copying a known set of controls to a new (unknown) game.
- Renamed "Name (Voice)" to "Voice Action" on New/Edit Control form.
- Added P1_PEDAL, P1_PEDAL_EXT, P2_PEDAL, P2_PEDAL_EXT, P1_PEDAL2, P1_PEDAL2_EXT, P2_PEDAL2, and P2_PEDAL2_EXT as selectable when adding new Player 1 and Player 2 controls. Note, this is not included with any upgrade, only from a new install.
- Modified for MaLa FE to use mame.xml and Controls.ini files when specified in LEDBlinkyConfig (settings.ini). If either file path is not specified, then values will be used from MaLa.ini.
LEDBlinky Animation Editor
- Modified Color Transition dialog to set Starting and Ending Color drop-downs to blank when associated "Use Current" option is checked.
- Fixed a couple typos.
LEDBlinky TroubleShooter
- Modified to better handle regional date formats.
- Modified to display "No Emulators were run..." message in the text panel rather than a pop-up message. This makes scrolling through sessions easier.
- Minor update to message when control has invalid debug data.

Version 7.2
LEDBlinky:
- Added feature to optionally speak MAME high score values at Game Start and Game Pause. This is a MAME only feature.
- Added feature to optionally display high score values on the Pixelcade marquee. This is a MAME only feature.
- Updated to support Pixelcade LCD displays.
- Modified to handle command parameters that include a tilde character (~). Any tilde in the command parameter will be replaced with a space. This will allow ROM/Game and Emulator/System names to include tildes.
- Fixed issue where LEDBlinky would display the ROM rather than the Game Name on Pixelcade.
LEDBlinky Configuration Wizard
- New application for creating the LEDBlinky Input Map and setting basic configuration options using step-by-step questions.
LEDBlinky Config
- Added option to speak hi-score value on Game Start.
- Added a global option to "Strobe LEDs With Speech" for Game Name, Game High Scores, and Game Start Text. Note: Individual options to strobe when speaking Game Start Name and Game Start Text have been removed.
- Added "Hi2txt Folder" on MAME tab.
- Changed "Mame Config Folder" to "Mame Folder" on MAME tab.
- Controls.ini and MAME.xml fields on MAME tab are now visible when FE is MaLa. This allows overriding the value in the MaLa.ini file.
- Reordered fields on MAME tab.
- Moved LEDBlinky Output System options to their own group on the Misc Options tab.
LEDBlinky Animation Editor v7.2
- Modified to allow re-selecting the Input Map file when it is not found for an existing layout. This handles the case when the .lay file or \LEDBlinky folder is moved.

Version 7.1
LEDBlinky:
- Added plugin and integration for Attract-Mode FE.
- Added support for game controllers (joysticks) when detecting button press for "Speech Abort" and "FE Speak Controls" features.
- Improved FE support for game controllers (joysticks).
- Modified to light ports based on GameEx joystick values for up/down/left/right.
- Other minor enhancements and bug fixes.
Configuration
- Added Attract-Mode FE options.
- Added support for game controllers (joysticks) when selecting button for "Speech Abort" and "FE Speak Controls" features.
Controls Editor:
- Added Pn_BUTTON11 and Pn_BUTTON12 to new button list for all players.

Version 7.0.4
- Added option in Controls Editor to configure any emulator to ignore GameQuit commands. This is a work-around for front-ends that incorrectly send a GameQuit command immediately after launching a game.
- Added 64 bit plugin for GameEx (LEDBlinky_GX64.dll).
- Added 64 bit plugin for PinballX (LEDBlinky_PX64.dll).
- Modified LEDBlinkyTroubleshooter to correctly identify MAME emulators using new Controls Editor MAME/Not-MAME configuration option.

Version 7.0.3
- Added Pixelcade integration. Pixelcade is an LED Marquee for Arcade Machines.
- LEDBlinky now installs and/or upgrades with setup package rather than zip file.
- RocketBlinky included as optional installation component.
- Fixed bug with NanoLED 60 port firmware.
- Modified command-line parameter to default to FEStart (1) when no parameters are specified (new installs only).
- Modified to correctly light buttons for latest version of LaunchBox/BigBox. This will also light player 2, player 3, and player 4 buttons when configured in BigBox.
- Modified to allow lighting the FE Controls and running the FE Active Animation at the same time. Prior to this these options were mutually exclusive.
- Modified to allow for multiple MAME Output values (Controls/LED Ports) for each output signal (LED0, LED1, etc).
- Modified to work with I-PAC Ultimate I/O in gamepad mode.
- Added option in Controls Editor to configure any emulator without "mame" in the name to be considered MAME. Inversely, any emulator with "mame" in the name can be configured as Not MAME.
- Modified to handle MAME Output values with spaces in the name.

Version 6.6
LEDBlinky:
- Modified to use minimized data for mame.xml to improve startup performance.
- Added support for Ultimarc NanoLED controller. Note; the NanoLED firmware may require an upgrade for LEDBlinky to correctly identify the hardware. Please contact Ultimarc for the latest NanoLED firmware.
- Included the Controls.ini file with LEDBlinky installation.
LEDBlinky_GX:
- Added option when GameEx is configured to run a random game from the screen saver.
Version 6.5
LEDBlinky:
- Added <Audio Animation> to FE Start-up Animation selection list.
- Added option to not speak joystick up/down/left/right actions.
- Added option to include always active controls when Demo Game Controls is enabled.
Animation Editor:
- Added Copy and Paste functions.
- Added Set Color/Intensity functions for all frames or current frame to end.
- Added feature to view a grid of the entire animation.
- Added option to display LED Name under each LED when in Animation Edit mode.
- Many other enhancements and bug fixes!
Version 6.4
- Added LEDBlinky Output System. LEDBlinky can broadcast output data over TCP or UDP protocols for consumption by custom or third-party hardware to light LEDs.
- Added support for LaunchBox Controller values (in addition to Keyboard values).
Version 6.3
- Added full support for LaunchBox and BigBox front ends.
- Added Color Adjust feature. This allows a global offset value (+/-) to be applied to individual ports so that color variations between buttons or other illuminated controls can be fine-tuned.
- Modified to identify mame.exe version and for version 0.176 and later, if necessary update mame.ini to enable legacy Output System.
- Modified to work with latest versions of mame and mame.xml.
Version 6.2.2
- Added support for HyperSpin with RocketLauncher.
- Added option to use ROM/Game name as default for speaking the game name when a ROM/Game is not defined in the Controls Editor or a Name (Voice) is not specified.
- Recompiled with latest UltraStik 360 function library required to detect newer UltraStik 360 firmware.
- Modified Controls Editor to import MAME games from mame.xml version 0.162 and later.
Version 6.2.1
- Added 'NoClear' parameter to Animation Start and Stop commands.
- Modified to support MAME.xml version 0.162 and later.
Version 6.2
- Added native support for PinballX
- Added new command line option to manually light the controls for a specified game.
- Updated PacDrive32.dll via Ultimarc. Provides better performance for Ultimarc controllers.
Version 6.1
- Added option to speak and blink the start and coin buttons on game start.
- Added option to speak and blink the FE Controls on startup.
- Added option to run the FE start animation for a single loop or a variable time specified in seconds. This is useful if you need to sync the LED animation with a FE video animation.
- Added variable Game Start delay in seconds. This option will add a delay after the FE game start event before LEDBlinky runs the configured Game Start options.
- Added option to load MAME configuration files (mame.xml, controls.ini, colors.ini) at start-up rather than when the emulator (MAME) is selected for the first time.
- Added new command line option to manually set one or more ports. So you can custom control the LEDs via batch or script file.
- Improved performance when loading animation files.
- Improved default voice actions when speaking HyperSpin controls; added pause after "Player 1..." and "Player 2...".
Version 6.0
- Added support for the Ultimarc iPAC Ultimate I/O LED control hardware.
- Added support for the Wolfware Tech Howler LED control hardware.

See the readme file for the complete list of updates.

Downloads, Features, Screen Shots, Demo Videos, Installation and Configuration Information, Support, and all things LEDBlinky can be found on the LEDBlinky.net website.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 09:15:38 am by arzoo »
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
Re: LEDBlinky MaLa Plugin and Animation Editor - Version 3.0
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 10:07:34 pm »
Nothing to see here - move along.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:42:03 pm by arzoo »
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

headkaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 01:10:24 am »
Fantastic to see this released Arzoo, great work! People will love this :)

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 01:37:06 am »
 :notworthy:

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:47:06 am »
Awesome - can't wait to try it out!   Thanks!

polaris

• You're a genius! Sheer genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 05:18:59 pm
  • veni vidi congai
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 04:21:54 pm »
wow
i think this is exactly what im looking for,
i say i think as i dont fully understand it ;) im a bit slow with this software caper.

great skills dude and that goes out to all you software developers , im blown away by the abilities and generosity in making these things :cheers:

mucho respect
got COLOR codes from projects, post them here

add stuff to the uk wiki section

CM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2012, 08:59:17 pm
  • The internet?!? Is that thing still around?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 05:48:16 pm »
I will try this out tonight!  My dual PacDrive setup may finally work!

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 06:04:04 pm »

:-)  FYI...  I'm sure Swindus will fix the native PacDrive bug eventually (using multiple PacDrives). He has not worked on MaLa for a while  :-)

CM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2012, 08:59:17 pm
  • The internet?!? Is that thing still around?
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 07:51:58 pm »

:-)  FYI...  I'm sure Swindus will fix the native PacDrive bug eventually (using multiple PacDrives). He has not worked on MaLa for a while  :-)

I'm a patient man  ;)

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 12:13:06 am »

LEDBlinky has gone far beyond Mala's native support for the PacDrive now. I'm fairly certain that even if Swindus added support for multiple PacDrives you'd still be better off using this plugin IMHO.

kegger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2011, 10:59:14 am
  • There are no unsingable songs....
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 10:50:13 pm »
This is an awesome plugin, started using it today. Now I'm new to the setup and I am having a few problems.... I have an asteroids layout but i can't get a couple of button's to light. I did remap them in  the game but still no luck. Also having the same problem with no matter what game it is. The button will light when in animation but will not light in Mame any ideas on this.  I am using Pac Drive's 2 of them.  ;D 

Thanks

Keg

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 12:22:21 am »
Arzoo: There also seems to be a few people (including me) who are getting access violations when running the LEDBlinky Animation Editor. Sorry I don't have a screenshot of it right now, but I can get one if needed.

rdenis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2011, 04:19:38 pm
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 01:49:34 am »
I'm having a couple of issues which I am not sure are software or hardware related.  Hopefully someone can shed some light or point me in the right direction.  I am using version 3.0 of Blinky and a few of my control panel buttons are lit with RGB's driven by LED Wiz.  I have RGB's at P1B1, P1B3, P1B5 and P2B1, P2B3, P2B5.

First issue:  I am not getting all game controls lit up properly - eg.  Street Fighter 2 - Player one buttons 1,3,5 all light properly in correct colors, however player 2 only lights buttons 1 and 3 correctly - button 5 does not light at all.  I looked in the colors.ini file and it looks correct, even changed some of the colors to make sure I had the right ini file.  The RGB buttons all light up properly otherwise (Mala Start, Mala Exit, Game Pause, etc.)  This one really has me stumped.

2)  I am trying to get the "Flash start buttons when credits are available" to work properly but I am getting some weird behavior.  I have single LED's in the P1 and P2 buttons (driven by LED Wiz).  I have intensity set to 49 for both of them (no blinking).  When I get credits, the P1 and/or P2 lights flash in an erratic pattern with different time intervals - I can best describe the pattern as quick flash, pause, quick flash, pause, long flash, pause - and then it repeats.  I have had the exact same results on Galaga, Dig Dug, and Asteroids.  I have run the MameOutput utility to record the game outputs and everything looks good.  Unfortunately the utility does not report the length of time of each output state so I can't tell if this is a Mame issue or hardware issue.  I have tried various configurations - blinking/not blinking, active/inactive, etc. and still the same results.

ANy thoughts?

kegger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 08:41:36 am »
I also have the same behavior for blink on credits flashes quick a couple of times then stay lit then back to quick flash ???

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 10:30:50 am »
Arzoo: There also seems to be a few people (including me) who are getting access violations when running the LEDBlinky Animation Editor. Sorry I don't have a screenshot of it right now, but I can get one if needed.

hk,
When do you get the access violation, at startup, on exit, playing an animation? Tx.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 10:49:59 am »
This is an awesome plugin, started using it today. Now I'm new to the setup and I am having a few problems.... I have an asteroids layout but i can't get a couple of button's to light. I did remap them in  the game but still no luck. Also having the same problem with no matter what game it is. The button will light when in animation but will not light in Mame any ideas on this.  I am using Pac Drive's 2 of them.  ;D 

Thanks

Keg

Kegger,
Seems like this is a config issue. I'll need to see the debug log. From the config app on the "More Options" tab, check "Enable Debug Log" and "Verbose Logging". Run some games and then send me a pm or post the debug.log results back here. Afterward, remember to uncheck the debug option.

By the way, I don't know which version of mame you're using, but I've noticed that at some point after .111 the Asteroids controls were changed from "3 buttons and a two-way joystick" to the more correct "5 buttons". But controls.dat (controls.ini) has not yet been updated, so the rotate left and rotate right buttons won't light - also the order of the button functions has changed. So if you're using a recent mame version, you can manually update controls.ini - here's the correct values:

P1NumButtons=5
P1Controls=
P1_BUTTON1=Rotate Left
P1_BUTTON2=Rotate Right
P1_BUTTON3=FIRE
P1_BUTTON4=THRUST
P1_BUTTON5=HYPER SPACE

As to the issue with the credit flashing feature - this turned out to be a major headache and a problem I've been working on for the past 3 weeks or so. It's actually not a bug in LEDBlinky but a thread priority issue between MaLa and Mame and LEDBlinky. Anyway, I have a fix which I'll post later this week.

Thanks,
arzoo
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 10:56:08 am »
I'm having a couple of issues which I am not sure are software or hardware related.  Hopefully someone can shed some light or point me in the right direction.  I am using version 3.0 of Blinky and a few of my control panel buttons are lit with RGB's driven by LED Wiz.  I have RGB's at P1B1, P1B3, P1B5 and P2B1, P2B3, P2B5.

First issue:  I am not getting all game controls lit up properly - eg.  Street Fighter 2 - Player one buttons 1,3,5 all light properly in correct colors, however player 2 only lights buttons 1 and 3 correctly - button 5 does not light at all.  I looked in the colors.ini file and it looks correct, even changed some of the colors to make sure I had the right ini file.  The RGB buttons all light up properly otherwise (Mala Start, Mala Exit, Game Pause, etc.)  This one really has me stumped.

2)  I am trying to get the "Flash start buttons when credits are available" to work properly but I am getting some weird behavior.  I have single LED's in the P1 and P2 buttons (driven by LED Wiz).  I have intensity set to 49 for both of them (no blinking).  When I get credits, the P1 and/or P2 lights flash in an erratic pattern with different time intervals - I can best describe the pattern as quick flash, pause, quick flash, pause, long flash, pause - and then it repeats.  I have had the exact same results on Galaga, Dig Dug, and Asteroids.  I have run the MameOutput utility to record the game outputs and everything looks good.  Unfortunately the utility does not report the length of time of each output state so I can't tell if this is a Mame issue or hardware issue.  I have tried various configurations - blinking/not blinking, active/inactive, etc. and still the same results.

ANy thoughts?

rdenis,
Post or pm your debug.log (see my prior reply to kegger), and we can figure out why the button is not lighting correctly. I've also fixed the mame output timing issue - see my prior post. Tx.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

kegger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 12:02:03 pm »
Here is the log

Great Job on the plugin It's Very Cool ;D

And Thank You for having a look, I'm using Mame122 so I will adjust the ini for Asteroids

Keg

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 01:42:25 pm »
Here is the log

Great Job on the plugin It's Very Cool ;D

And Thank You for having a look, I'm using Mame122 so I will adjust the ini for Asteroids

Keg

Ok, here's what I think the problem is - from the debug file, the only game you launched was Missile Command - and it seems that you have one of the buttons mapped to a joystick button and the other 2 buttons are mapped to mouse buttons, correct? I'm guessing that the LEDBlinky input map file (DevicePort-Input.ini) does not have the joystick and mouse button codes assigned to the various LEDWiz ports. For example, you should have JOYCODE_1_BUTTON7, MOUSECODE_2_BUTTON1, and MOUSECODE_2_BUTTON2 mapped to the correct LED ports - these are the Missile Command controls. Use the "Generate Input Map" tool to add the correct input codes.

If this doesn't make any sense, could you post your DevicePort-Input.ini file?

arzoo
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

kegger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 03:31:05 pm »
Arzoo, That fixed it :cheers:

Sorry for the error's on my part and
Thanks again for the help.

Keg

rdenis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 01:12:00 am »

As to the issue with the credit flashing feature - this turned out to be a major headache and a problem I've been working on for the past 3 weeks or so. It's actually not a bug in LEDBlinky but a thread priority issue between MaLa and Mame and LEDBlinky. Anyway, I have a fix which I'll post later this week.

Thanks,
arzoo

Cool - now I don't have to come up with a funky hardware solution - ie - putting an on/off switch inline with me pressing it on/off continuously once the credits are available!!  ;D

rdenis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 02:59:56 am »
rdenis,
Post or pm your debug.log (see my prior reply to kegger), and we can figure out why the button is not lighting correctly. I've also fixed the mame output timing issue - see my prior post. Tx.

Okay I looked at the debug file and looked like a MAME config issue - went into a game and selected Admin menu/General Controls and selected Player 2 controls.  Sure enough Player 2 buttons 4,5,6,7 were mapped to Joycodes with no corresponding Keyboard input.  I manually overode the default configs to have keyboard inputs and the lighting works now.  However, with the override, I lost the original Joycodes (not sure it matters or not?) and the change in mapping I made within MAME is not reflected in the Control-Input_mame.ini file which says it is generated by GenMameDefault.exe from the Mame Source file (input.c).  I ran (double clicked) GenMameDefault.exe again and while it seemed to do something my  Control-Input_mame.ini file is still the same.  Huh?  Me confused. ???

The short answer is I got it working - but I don't really understand how.  I seem to recall in the dark recesses of my mind that MAME does not assign keyboard inputs beyond four buttons but I thought that was only for Players 3 and 4.

Anyhoo, it works, I don't know why - but I would like to know the proper way to correct this for future reference.  If someone asked me tomorrow how to fix it I'd tell them they were high.  :dizzy:

rdenis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 03:59:32 am »
Alright I think I am starting to figure some of this out - put all my Mame General Input controls back to default configurations and then added the relevant Joycodes in GenLEdBlinkyInput for all my buttons.  Works like a charm now.

Another thing I am trying to figure out is how to light the Player and Credit buttons at the same time the game controls are dislayed when scrolling in the Mala UI screen.

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 10:06:10 am »
Alright I think I am starting to figure some of this out - put all my Mame General Input controls back to default configurations and then added the relevant Joycodes in GenLEdBlinkyInput for all my buttons.  Works like a charm now.
rdenis,
Glad you got it working!

The thing to remember when using the GenLEDBlinkyInputMap is that you need to assign the same keycode, joycode, or mousecode to each LED port as is physically wired to the keyboard or joystick encoder. So for example, if player 2 button 5 is wired to a joystick encoder, joystick 2 button 1, then use JOYCODE_2_BUTTON1. But if it's wired to a keboard encoder, "Y", then use KEYCODE_Y. But again, you've got it working so that's all that counts!  :)

Just for reference - for a control that has never been remapped within Mame, LEDBlinky uses the value in Control_Input_mame.ini. When you remap a control in the General Input section (which effects all games), LEDBlinky uses the Default.cfg file (in the Mame cfg folder). And when you remap controls for a specific game, LEDBlinky uses the <rom>.cfg file.

You should never really need to run the GenMameDefault.exe app - in fact I've removed from the most recent LEDBlinky install because it's of no use anymore. You can delete it.

Another thing I am trying to figure out is how to light the Player and Credit buttons at the same time the game controls are dislayed when scrolling in the Mala UI screen.

This is a new feature that I've already added for the next release. It will work for both the MaLa scrolling and during game play.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

rdenis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 11:34:03 am »
Thanks Arzoo - this is an awesome app!!! :cheers:

iano

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2011, 03:39:11 pm
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 09:55:20 pm »
Hi Arzoo. I have 2 problems with the ledblinky animation editor. My first problem is violation access errors. They occur everytime i try to create a cp layout (by selecting the deviceport-input file). Please see screenshots. The 2nd problem i'm having is i have a trackball with 4 single leds wired to 4 ports of my ledwiz. I have given them mousecodes but when i try to create a cp layout (i did manage to open it once without a violation access error) i only see one led on my cp layout instead of 4 leds. I would like to be able to control the 4 trackball leds individually for animation purposes. Any advice would be great. Thanks for the app.

ian.

:)

[LEDWiz-Device1]
Port01=P1Coin,S,KEYCODE_5
Port04=P1B1,R,KEYCODE_LCONTROL
Port05=P1B1,G,KEYCODE_LCONTROL
Port06=P1B1,B,KEYCODE_LCONTROL
Port07=P1B2,R,KEYCODE_LALT
Port08=P1B2,G,KEYCODE_LALT
Port09=P1B2,B,KEYCODE_LALT
Port10=P1B3,R,KEYCODE_SPACE
Port11=P1B3,G,KEYCODE_SPACE
Port12=P1B3,B,KEYCODE_SPACE
Port13=P1B4,R,KEYCODE_LSHIFT
Port14=P1B4,G,KEYCODE_LSHIFT
Port15=P1B4,B,KEYCODE_LSHIFT
Port21=P1B5,R,KEYCODE_Z
Port22=P1B5,G,KEYCODE_Z
Port23=P1B5,B,KEYCODE_Z
Port24=P1B6,R,KEYCODE_X
Port25=P1B6,G,KEYCODE_X
Port26=P1B6,B,KEYCODE_X
Port27=P1B7,R,KEYCODE_C
Port28=P1B7,G,KEYCODE_C
Port29=P1B7,B,KEYCODE_C
Port30=P1B8,R,KEYCODE_V
Port31=P1B8,G,KEYCODE_V
Port32=P1B8,B,KEYCODE_V
Port17=,S,MOUSECODE_1_UP
Port18=,S,MOUSECODE_1_RIGHT
Port19=,S,MOUSECODE_1_DOWN
Port20=,S,MOUSECODE_1_LEFT
[LEDWiz-Device2]
Port01=P2Coin,S,KEYCODE_6
Port04=P2B1,R,KEYCODE_A
Port05=P2B1,G,KEYCODE_A
Port06=P2B1,B,KEYCODE_A
Port07=P2B2,R,KEYCODE_S
Port08=P2B2,G,KEYCODE_S
Port09=P2B2,B,KEYCODE_S
Port10=P2B3,R,KEYCODE_Q
Port11=P2B3,G,KEYCODE_Q
Port12=P2B3,B,KEYCODE_Q
Port13=P2B4,R,KEYCODE_W
Port14=P2B4,G,KEYCODE_W
Port15=P2B4,B,KEYCODE_W
Port21=P2B5,R,KEYCODE_I
Port22=P2B5,G,KEYCODE_I
Port23=P2B5,B,KEYCODE_I
Port24=P2B6,R,KEYCODE_K
Port25=P2B6,G,KEYCODE_K
Port26=P2B6,B,KEYCODE_K
Port27=P2B7,R,KEYCODE_J
Port28=P2B7,G,KEYCODE_J
Port29=P2B7,B,KEYCODE_J
Port30=P2B8,R,KEYCODE_L
Port31=P2B8,G,KEYCODE_L
Port32=P2B8,B,KEYCODE_L

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 10:16:13 pm »
Arzoo: I just wanted to add that iano's errors are the same I was getting. Sorry I don't have access to my cab at the moment but they are the same errors anyway. They seem to occur when trying to open the deviceport-input or closing the application.

Also that deviceport-input file that iano has posted is generated by my plugin. Can you let me know if I need to do anything different when creating that file? Perhaps it's something in that file your program is not liking?

Thanks mate appreciate your time :)

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 09:21:04 am »
Hi Arzoo. I have 2 problems with the ledblinky animation editor. My first problem is violation access errors. They occur everytime i try to create a cp layout (by selecting the deviceport-input file). Please see screenshots. The 2nd problem i'm having is i have a trackball with 4 single leds wired to 4 ports of my ledwiz. I have given them mousecodes but when i try to create a cp layout (i did manage to open it once without a violation access error) i only see one led on my cp layout instead of 4 leds. I would like to be able to control the 4 trackball leds individually for animation purposes. Any advice would be great. Thanks for the app.

ian.

Port17=,S,MOUSECODE_1_UP

Ian,
Looking at your DevicePort-Input.ini, I noticed that you don't have any port labels defined for ports 17, 18, 19, and 20 on device 1 (the mouse ports). I wonder if that's the problem? I'll look over my code tonight and see what's going on.

By the way - that's an awesome idea to use 4 LEDs under the mouse to indicate up/down/left/right. I only wired three LEDs under my mouse, and they're in a triangle pattern - looks like I'll be reworking that! As long as you provide a different port label for each mouse LED, the animation editor will treat them as separate controls.

arzoo
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 09:36:04 am »

ian.

Port17=,S,MOUSECODE_1_UP

Ian,
Looking at your DevicePort-Input.ini, I noticed that you don't have any port labels defined for ports 17, 18, 19, and 20 on device 1 (the mouse ports). I wonder if that's the problem? I'll look over my code tonight and see what's going on.

By the way - that's an awesome idea to use 4 LEDs under the mouse to indicate up/down/left/right. I only wired three LEDs under my mouse, and they're in a triangle pattern - looks like I'll be reworking that! As long as you provide a different port label for each mouse LED, the animation editor will treat them as separate controls.

arzoo

Arzoo, I just noticed that my plugin generates the following for P1_CUSTOM1, P1_CUSTOM2, P1_CUSTOM3 and P1_CUSTOM4...

Port17=,S,MOUSECODE_1_UP

Since you didn't have any name that matched my custom ones. Any chance you could add them in for the case when someone needs 4 inputs for the trackball?

Or maybe we should make it P1_TRACKBALL1, P1_TRACKBALL2, P1_TRACKBALL3 & P1_TRACKBALL4?

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 09:55:02 am »
hk,
The port label (1st value in comma separated string) can be anything you want - it's just a tag to help identify each button and it also ties together the RGB ports. Also, the 3rd value is the input code and that's only required for my LEDBlinky app. So if you're only using the animation editor, you don't need to specify any input code. This should work fine:

Port17=P1_TRACKBALL1,S,
Port18=P1_TRACKBALL2,S,
Port19=P1_TRACKBALL3,S,
Port20=P1_TRACKBALL4,S,

OR this:

Port17=MOUSE_UP,S,
Port18=MOUSE_DOWN,S,
Port19=MOUSE_LEFT,S,
Port20=MOUSE_RIGHT,S,
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 10:26:31 am »
Arzoo: Thanks mate :)

iano: I have released a new version of the plugin so it will output names for all entries in the DevicePort-Input.ini file. So you can download that and it will generate a new file when you exit the config or just put in some dummy names in there.

Eg.
Code: [Select]
Port17=Trackball1,S,MOUSECODE_1_UP
Port18=Trackball2,S,MOUSECODE_1_RIGHT
Port19=Trackball3,S,MOUSECODE_1_DOWN
Port20=Trackball4,S,MOUSECODE_1_LEFT

Now we just need arzoo to check out the errors :)

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 10:33:06 am »

If you provide the port labels for all the ports, do you still get the error?
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 10:56:40 am »

If you provide the port labels for all the ports, do you still get the error?

It's not the port labels causing it because it doesn't crash on my dev machine when I use a DevicePort-Input.ini generated by my plugin. I have the PACDrive here to test and it works fine.

Okay I just booted up my cab and it's not crashing for me anymore on there either :) So iano you might want to try the new DevicePort-Input.ini and download the latest Animation Editor from this thread.

Cool, now I can make some custom animations for my cab :)

iano

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2011, 03:39:11 pm
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 10:31:34 pm »
Big thank you Guys ! Everything seems to be working great now !

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 05:08:59 am »
A few suggestions Arzoo for your LEDBlinky Animation Editor (if you don't mind) when you click an led the color sliders don't adjust to the color of the selected led. So when you go to change the color it will start at white. Also, for every frame intensity is set, even if the values are the same between two frames. The intensity command is quite bandwidth expensive.  Perhaps add a button called "Optimize" which will got through and remove commands that repeat between frames (or even better would be to calculate that "on the fly"). Also I noticed it changes commands that are sent to id 0 (all) into individual commands for each id 1 and 2. Not sure why it would do that (again if the state/intensity of led's for id 1 and 2 are the same you could have it send it to id 0). It also seemed to remove the PacDrive commands because I didn't have it plugged in. I'm not sure why the display is so slow as your only drawing a few ellipses with some text. GDI+ should be fast enough to draw the frames in realtime. Finally I like the new animation control buttons but it would make sense to also add a |> play button that turns into || pause when it's playing. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:13:05 am by headkaze »

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 09:08:43 am »
A few suggestions Arzoo for your LEDBlinky Animation Editor (if you don't mind) when you click an led the color sliders don't adjust to the color of the selected led. So when you go to change the color it will start at white.
I agree - but it was a 50/50 decision - should clicking the button set the current color or clicking the current color set the button? There are times when I'm working on an animation and I feel it should work the way you describe - but other times it seems right the way it is. Anyway, you can right-click a button and select "Get Color" which sets the current color box.
Also, for every frame intensity is set, even if the values are the same between two frames. The intensity command is quite bandwidth expensive.  Perhaps add a button called "Optimize" which will got through and remove commands that repeat between frames (or even better would be to calculate that "on the fly").
The editor handles each frame individually with no memory of the prior frame. But when you save the animation is will be fully optimized.
Also I noticed it changes commands that are sent to id 0 (all) into individual commands for each id 1 and 2. Not sure why it would do that (again if the state/intensity of led's for id 1 and 2 are the same you could have it send it to id 0).
Here's my thinking on this - the editor works with individual buttons, not ports. So the concept of all on or off across multiple devices doesn't make sense. Conceivably you could wire RGBs across devices.
It also seemed to remove the PacDrive commands because I didn't have it plugged in.
Not sure about this, I'll have to try it myself.
I'm not sure why the display is so slow as your only drawing a few ellipses with some text. GDI+ should be fast enough to draw the frames in realtime.
A lot is going on under the covers - but I agree, it should be faster. I'll see what I can do.
Finally I like the new animation control buttons but it would make sense to also add a |> play button that turns into || pause when it's playing. Thanks!
Good idea. Thanks for the feedback!
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

milhouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2023, 08:03:32 pm
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 10:16:29 am »
Is there a way to have LEDs for each Player buttons light within Mala, so that you can tell how many players a game supports? 

Right now, my Players 1-4 buttons are off in Mala and it would be cool if they would light depending on whether the game was a one player or four player game etc.

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 10:23:58 am »
Is there a way to have LEDs for each Player buttons light within Mala, so that you can tell how many players a game supports? 

Right now, my Players 1-4 buttons are off in Mala and it would be cool if they would light depending on whether the game was a one player or four player game etc.

milhouse - great timing! I'm about to release a LEDBlinky update within a few minutes that includes the feature you are requesting.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

arzoo

• Offline Offline
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
Re: LEDBlinky - Arcade LED Control software and Animation Editor - Version 3.5
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 11:01:59 am »
Version 3.5 released - see 1st post for details and download links.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:03:58 am by arzoo »
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
Re: LEDBlinky - Arcade LED Control software and Animation Editor - Version 3.5
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2008, 11:03:15 am »
Great job!!

Just one point , in the documentation i think you have forgotten to update your index table.  ;)