Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finally scored a nice freebie off of craigslist...not an arcade game though...  (Read 3008 times)

2PacMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2009, 08:33:45 am
  • PacMan collection
I scored this nice pop machine for free off of craigslist last night.  It's nice because it's thinner than the standard pop machines and takes up less room, the thing weighs a ton though, i can't believe how heavy it is.  Everything seems to work great on it, except it doesn't cool the pop.  The motor blows air and everything, but it's just warm air.  Anyone know anything about pop machines?  Is there a way to disconnect the cooling part and just have it dispense warm pop?  I'm not sure I want the cooling motor running constantly if i leave it plugged in. 

Anyone know the particulars of this type of machine, such as value, etc?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 08:38:51 am by 2PacMan »

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Congrats on the score. The compressor is probably shot in it. You can pull the info for the compressor, and even the machine and start posting at http://www.colamachines.com/forums/index.php .
Their forum isn't incredibly active, and even less so for machines newer than 1970.

If I were you, I would get some coke red enamel paint and some vinyl coke stickers. That thing would take much at all to look cool.

JackTucky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
that looks like the kind of machines they sell at Sam's Club.  Check 'em out.
=J
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
Yes, it does sort of look like the ones that Sam's Club sells.  After doing alot of research on the net, it looks like I have a Selectivend CD-6SA model cola machine.  Selectivend does sell through Sam's Club, so that makes sense, although the one they have on their website now must be a newer model.  I still have no idea on value or anything like that.  Best I could do was find a service manual on it.

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
it possibly could have a bad electronic thermastat or therma sensor if it even has something like that where it works but is not kicking the cold part on becuase the reader is ceased or something.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
Everything seems to work great on it, except it doesn't cool the pop. 

thats funny right there... it does everything good, except what it was designed to do. Also, it's soda not pop.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
Yeah, cooling the pop is a big part of it.  But it still dispenses the pop, the bill validator works, gives change, the digital readout works, etc.  It's in my basement, which is cooler, so the pop is cooler than room temperature.  I'm not sure i'd even leave it plugged in constantly, I probably wouldn't use it much unless i'm having a party.  Still not bad for free.....

It does have a thermastat.  It says #2 should be all the higher you need to go to cool the pop, I turned it up all the way to #10 just for kicks.  The machine got slightly colder, but nothing major.

psik0tik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2008, 11:32:31 pm
  • Bah Bah Bah
It probably just needs a freon charge it's a pretty cheap fix.
Going to Mcdonalds for a salad is like going to a crack house for vitamins.

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Everything seems to work great on it, except it doesn't cool the pop. 

thats funny right there... it does everything good, except what it was designed to do. Also, it's soda not pop.

To you city folk yes.

What kind of soda do you have in it?
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
It probably just needs a freon charge it's a pretty cheap fix.

Wouldn't you want to check the seals, gaskets or whatever to ensure the freon doesn't leak out too quickly?

skippy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2014, 05:23:26 pm
http://www.soda-machines.com/

Go and register on the forums.  Tons of great guys who are very helpful.  The not cooling could be any number of things from a bad thermostat to a bad compressor to low refrigerant.  I think one of the mods on the forum is a selectivend type guy, look for post from Johnnieg
I used to be cool,  then they changed what cool was

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
If the compressor comes on and "runs"...then it's probably ok.

More than likely it's just low on refrigerant.
Alot of the newer/smaller units use the now common 132A. (check for labels on your unit)
I've recharged small cooler units by simply buying an adapter for the fitting from an auto parts store and then using off the shelf 132A kit.

If yours uses 12 or 22 freon then disregard everything I just said about recharging it.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
Yeah, it's running.  When i turn the thermostat up (down?) it'll kick on.  I remember it did give a number for coolant, i'll have to look it up.  I still have no idea how to charge it.  I took the cooling apparatus apart the other day and cleaned the dust off of it (someone said if it were really dusty, it could affect the cooling), but no luck.  I had no idea what i was looking at.  I'll look up the refrigerant numbers tonight.  There was some orange/brownish (rust color) dried liquid in the drain.  I couldn't tell what it was, thought it was just dried pop, but it could be the coolant that leaked out, or oil of some sort...but it didn't have an oily feel to it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:01:52 pm by 2PacMan »

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
OK, I looked at the tag on the back of the machine.  It says it takes 4.0 oz of 12 refrigerant.  I'm not sure what that means, but i guess recharging is out of the question then?  The tag also says it's a 115 volt 60 cycle machine.  Then it says phase 1, 3.5 fl. amps.  I'm not really sure what that means either.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
115 volts - roughly north american voltage.
60 cycles - frequency of the AC it expects.
3.5 amps - the current draw.

Looks like you have all of the info you need.  Takes 4 ounces of r-12 freon, I believe.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
Takes 4 ounces of r-12 freon, I believe.

Correct.

But to get R-12 serviced you'd have have to call an actual AC/Refrigeration place to have them do it unless you know of someone that can do it for you.
As long as there are service ports already there then it shouldn't be hard. If they are not there, then it will add to the cost a bit for installing them. Be forwarned that R-12 is kinda spendy these days. Probably should have the system leak checked first so as not to waste money on freon.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
I don't see any service ports in the back of the machine, but i'm not sure what i'm looking for exactly.  Could you give me a rough ballpark figure of what i would expect to pay to have someone come out and leak check the machine and put new freon in it....is it expensive?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

I'd call an appliance repair shop and ask them that question.  That's an environmental issue, too - freon is highly toxic.   Make sure it gets done right.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
OK, i'll do that.  I'm having trouble finding anyone who specifically repairs soda vending machines, but maybe an appliance repair guy could do it.  You are right, I don't want to risk doing the repair myself if the freon is toxic.  I'm hoping the repair wouldn't be more than about $100.00.  If it's much more than that, I'm not sure i'll bother getting it fixed.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

That could be why you got it free.  If it's more than you want to pay you can just have it dispense and not cool.  That would save you a lot of money on running it, too.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  I'm sure the guy who gave it to me priced getting it fixed and realized it was too expensive.

I wouldn't leave it plugged in all the time anyway, as I don't drink alot of soda, and would probably only use it for when I had parties.  It's in my basement, so the soda's a little cooler than room temp.  The dispenser still works great.  So you're right, if it's too much to get it fixed, i'll just use it as is....it's still neat to have.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
I don't really plan on having mine dispense cold pop either. i know for a fact the compressor is shot, but the guy who gave it to me has a new replacement. Unfortunately, sending off the AC unit to get it serviced costs like $300. Granted that makes it bulletproof, that is a hell of a lot of money for a pop machine that is basically just a decoration. ;D

geomartin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2017, 08:55:24 am
If you want to be under $100 you better plan on taking it in to an appliance shop.  A service call is usually $80 just to knock on your door.  Then $75-$80/hr. from there.
Please!  Give me the good news first!