Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can't get Light Gun to work in Mame  (Read 5628 times)

442much

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2008, 09:27:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Can't get Light Gun to work in Mame
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:32:39 pm »
I have an LCD Top Gun and I'm using Mame32 Version 0.104u7.  I also have a trackball and spinner (both USB) which I suspect may be part of the problem.  The light gun works fine in Windows, but is not recognized in Mame32.  I have enabled both mouse input and Light Gun support in MAME32.  I figured I needed to go into the game setup and setup the gun, but when I go into the controls section and I want to change the player one button to my trigger, the trigger pull is not recognized.  I've searched around for answers but haven't come up with anything.

btp2k2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2011, 01:02:36 pm
Re: Can't get Light Gun to work in Mame
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 01:31:16 am »
I had the same problem....screen would flash but no hit registered and MAME would map the button click....ended up returning the gun and getting a new one

442much

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 10:52:16 am »
After reading the above post it made me think it is not the gun, because it does work in Windows.  I tried a simple test to remove the USB spinner and restart the cab.  After that the gun was working in MAME.  javascript:replaceText(' :applaud:', document.forms.postmodify.message); 

I guess this is really a USB / MAME / XP issue as I believe XP doesn't statically assign the same USB inputs every time. 

What is the best way to trouble shoot this and get it working?

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 03:01:21 pm »
I have enabled both mouse input and Light Gun support in MAME32.

IIRC, lightgun option is not needed in XP, and if enabled, forces the lightguns to be mouse 1 or 2.

Could you test with mouse enabled, lightgun disabled, and your mouse, spinner & lightgun plugged in?  And report if works?  Hmm, I could be confusing reload_offscreen option with your problem.  Could you also try the reload_offscreen option on and off, with & without the spinner, please?  Thanks, I hope to find a fix it it's mame. :)
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2018, 11:06:19 am
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:42:41 pm »
mame gamename -verbose
tells you what devices MAME finds connected and their numbers.

D.

442much

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:50:34 pm »
I have enabled both mouse input and Light Gun support in MAME32.
Could you test with mouse enabled, lightgun disabled, and your mouse, spinner & lightgun plugged in?  And report if works?  Hmm, I could be confusing reload_offscreen option with your problem.  Could you also try the reload_offscreen option on and off, with & without the spinner, please? 

I tried it with mouse enabled, lightgun disable + spinner, trackball & lightgun -- it didn't work.  I tried turning on/off reload_offscreen, enabling/disabling the mouse input and could not get it to work.  The only way is to unplug the spinner.  I did discover that my trackball works for lightgun 1 and the spinner for lightgun 2.  Given that, you would think I would need to unplug the trackball, instead of the light gun.

442much

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:58:23 pm »
mame gamename -verbose
tells you what devices MAME finds connected and their numbers.

D.

I tried that and it didn't help because I hadn't setup my config file for MAME (I normally run MAME32) and all the inputs were defaulted as off.  Then I generated a config file and set:
     mouse      1
     joystick     1
     lightgun    1
     offscreen_reload 1

When I ran MAME, the lightgun worked! :applaud:  In fact, I could control it with the mouse or the lightgun.  I went to the MAME32 directory to find a similar .ini file, but it did not contain these type of settings.  Also, the game I picked (Area51) had the video messed up along with the sound.  I guess this is why I run MAME32, because it was easier to set up. 

I would think if this works with MAME, then it should work with MAME32.