Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A couple Mala questions  (Read 3650 times)

Funky_K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2008, 04:03:20 pm
A couple Mala questions
« on: November 22, 2006, 06:15:42 pm »
Hi,
I have just started using Mala as my frontend to give it a try (was using MameWah before), and I have a couple questions.

1.  Is there a way to change which key brings up the menu in the GUI?  It is by default set to right mouse click, but I would like to change it to a different button (under the control panel) so that this is not accessible to the casual user.

2.  Is there a way to accelerate the trackball when scrolling through games?  I would like to be able to scroll much faster than it allows me to.  I do have the Shift option enabled that allows you to scroll X games at a time when shifting, but I would still like to just rip through several hundred games with a couple quick spins of the trackball.

Thanks   

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2024, 05:14:32 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: A couple Mala questions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 06:24:28 pm »
1.  Is there a way to change which key brings up the menu in the GUI?  It is by default set to right mouse click, but I would like to change it to a different button (under the control panel) so that this is not accessible to the casual user.
No.  Could you arrange you mapping so the right mouse button is not used for anything else?

2.  Is there a way to accelerate the trackball when scrolling through games?  I would like to be able to scroll much faster than it allows me to.  I do have the Shift option enabled that allows you to scroll X games at a time when shifting, but I would still like to just rip through several hundred games with a couple quick spins of the trackball.
have youu tried:
- options/controller/scrolling acceleration(speed)
- options/gui/options(display delay and exceptions) these can effect speed

Hope that helps

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 08:08:13 pm »
I would definitely like the ability to be able to at least select "any bindable mouse buton" to open the menu, such as the 4th (thumb) button.. so again the layman user cannot get access, and at the same time you can utilize as many buttons as possible (namely the 3 mouse buttons that come with the Happ USB trackball  ;D )

Not to mention the fact that many PC games with mouse/trackball functions use the second button..  For example, I have "Zuma" from PopCap games (Link) in my set up, and it works magically with the trackball, with the right click set to change your current ball color.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 08:10:37 pm by OrganicJerk »

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 08:15:08 pm »
Not to mention the fact that many PC games with mouse/trackball functions use the second button..  For example, I have "Zuma" from PopCap games (Link) in my set up, and it works magically with the trackball, with the right click set to change your current ball color.

I would have thought that this would not be an issue as the MaLa options should only come up when MaLa is in focus not when playing a game? I s that not the case?

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 08:28:25 pm »
That is the case, but it's just the fact that random people idly browsing games can have access to that menu at all, really...

It not only poses a security risk as far as the stability of your setup (unless you're constantly monitoring the cab when used by others) but it removes from the arcade experience by very bluntly reminding (or informing) a person that the machine is really just a regular old PC sitting in a big box..

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 08:42:48 pm »
That is the case, but it's just the fact that random people idly browsing games can have access to that menu at all, really...

It not only poses a security risk as far as the stability of your setup (unless you're constantly monitoring the cab when used by others) but it removes from the arcade experience by very bluntly reminding (or informing) a person that the machine is really just a regular old PC sitting in a big box..

Yeah I see your point.

I just take it for granted as my mouse is locked in my cab. And the only access friends and their kids have to it is via buttons and joysticks and I have never had such an issue.

Maybe you should PM Swindus about it with some suggestions (I think is away at present?)
- Eg
* Ability to use another Mouse Button
* Complete lockout of right mouse button (unless setting in mala.ini was changed) etc

Good luck  ;)

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 03:55:45 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 10:08:17 pm »
Hi guys, long-time lurker, first time poster here:

I recently switched to mala from 3d-Arcade, as I could no longer handle the ridiculous set-up required to get 3d-Arcade to do what I wanted(!)  The single, solitary, ONLY problem I have with mala is that right-click context menu.  In my cab build I have a Betson Imperial trackball, which of course functions as a mouse in Windows.  Hitting that right mouse button just ruins the feeling of playing on a "real cabinet."  Granted, I could just run that button through the IPAC if I really had to, but the right mouse button does come in handy for other things.

Don't you think that the Options window would be better served if accessed from the Menu anyway? (default key: 2)  At least then it would be map-able to something other than an essential key such as the right mouse button.

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 10:11:45 pm »

http://www.arcadezentrum.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=4984

SWINDUS has been given this request here at the MaLa Forum and appears to be open to the idea

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 11:49:41 pm »
Coming very soon   ;D

See pic attached

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 10:49:35 am »
Coming very soon   ;D

Okay Loadman, spill your guts.  How soon, is "very soon"? :applaud:

swindus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2021, 05:52:50 am
    • MaLa - M.A.M.E. Launcher
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 10:54:48 am »
I think I will release the new version next week. Still some things to do .....

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

w00t! :applaud: :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:47:52 am by SGT »

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 05:13:04 pm »

w00t! :applaud: :cheers:

Good one SGT...  ;) You will get get me in trouble with SWINDUS    :laugh2:

No more secrets for you  ;D