Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first arcade controls  (Read 33592 times)

Bountyhunterinc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2008, 06:22:18 pm
My first arcade controls
« on: August 30, 2006, 03:02:29 am »
Hey guys, as my first post here I figured I'd make it about the projects you all helped me build  ;)

I found this site with an interest in building an arcade stick (for my xbox 360), I have some electrical + woodworking backround and now I can't leave it be.

So what i've wound up with is nothing as complicated as many of the full cabs (beautiful I must say) that so many of you have made, but it's a start for me. So here we go.

Wireless 360 arcade stick pics of Heineken stick and Black/Blue

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
Re: My first arcade controls
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 03:29:15 pm »
Looks great.  As soon as you starl looking around for cab designs and then start downloading a few plans you are in trouble.  Once the bug bites it is hard to shake it off.  :)

D-

Scratch built upright MAME Cab

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 08:08:08 pm »
thats a huge beeeeach !! :D looks good for a first stick

Anakin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2008, 02:30:15 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 08:52:07 pm »
 :o a 360 joystick?!?!?!  Did you use the microsoft pad or a 3rd party pad to hack?  Can u give more info on this website you found?  Xbox live arcade in my cab would kick ass

Bountyhunterinc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:34:41 pm »
:o a 360 joystick?!?!?!  Did you use the microsoft pad or a 3rd party pad to hack?  Can u give more info on this website you found?  Xbox live arcade in my cab would kick ass

I used the original MS wireless pad. And "the site" i'm talking about is this one! Very inspirational, filled with knowledge... what a great community. Anyway, here's some juicy guts pics for you. If you want I can link to some references as far as hacking the 360 pad. There is nothing on wireless though... so I had to figure something out with advice on other forums such as how to relocate the battery holder for easy access.

Anyways thanks all for the nice comments  :)

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 12:36:18 am »
Very gutsy move hacking a presumably expensive controller.  I love it ! 

Once you're sure it is the way you want, you might want to ditch the wire connectors and solder the wires in place.  Connectors have a tendency of coming lose at the most inappropriate times.  They seem to sense when you're showing your baby off to a friend or co-worker.

Nice job.

Bountyhunterinc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 01:25:19 am »
Very gutsy move hacking a presumably expensive controller.  I love it ! 

Once you're sure it is the way you want, you might want to ditch the wire connectors and solder the wires in place.  Connectors have a tendency of coming lose at the most inappropriate times.  They seem to sense when you're showing your baby off to a friend or co-worker.

Nice job.

Thanks coder. Yes, the dang thing cost 50 bucks... (just the controller) no room for error. But trust me.. I killed a few 20 dollar 3rd party pads before I attacked the "big boy".

I think you're right too. I used the Quick DC's for simplicity in putting it all together, but whether I keep this one or send it to my brother I think I'm going to have to solder those connections.

Anakin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2008, 02:30:15 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 02:25:12 pm »
so are the 360 buttons digital or analog?  I just always assumed they were analog buttons.  If you could post more info on hacking it I would really appreciate it.  You just got me falling in love with playing high def fighting games and xbox live arcade in a brand new cab!!!  DAMN YOU!!!!!  :banghead:  :P

Bountyhunterinc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 10:14:10 pm »
so are the 360 buttons digital or analog?  I just always assumed they were analog buttons.  If you could post more info on hacking it I would really appreciate it.  You just got me falling in love with playing high def fighting games and xbox live arcade in a brand new cab!!!  DAMN YOU!!!!!  :banghead:  :P

Yes lol. You can do it! The Dpad, A B X Y and L and R shoulder, Select, Start, and Guide are all digital. You can work them using NO switch. I use Happ switches.

The only thing is ALL the buttons have their own ground, so every button takes 2 solders @ the PCB. Anyway here's a good guide to get you going, this is with a wired pad, but the basics are the same.

If you have any specific questions please ask, and good luck!

http://www.gamersreports.com/article/24/

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 01:11:19 pm »

Bountyhunterinc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 05:38:02 pm »
Wow thanks. I guess I can take a second to update with my latest project too, just finished it up.

Here's a couple pics. And to anyone with any questions on how to go about putting one together yourself ask away.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 03:16:12 am »
...flush mount the bolts maybe :dizzy:

otherwise looks good

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 04:33:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 05:48:04 pm »
Where did you get the info for moving the battery pack for the wireless controller.  I will need to know that for sure.

Zeosstud.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 11:04:28 pm »
I don't have gamepad hacking skills, but I have numch8uck skills and bow hunting skills. Do those count?

Seriously, good job. I suck at soldering, so I wouldn't even attempt to do that to a 360 controller.

You could probably make a few extra bucks by hacking those 360 controllers and dumping them on here. Just label the leads and leave them hanging off. Everyone else knows what to do with the rest. I bet you could make yourself quite a niche!

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 02:45:55 am »
that a nice controller, but that pic wont keep my eyes on the game  :P

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 04:33:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 11:29:11 am »
I personally would pay $100 and cover shipping for a soldered up Xbox 360 wireless controller today, in fact I would buy 2.  I guess if a guy could sodder one together, say in an hour, he would be making $50 an hour, pretty repectable.  If it takes longer naturally you would make less, but could argueably charge more.  No real idea what "fair" would be but certainly worth a thought I guess.

Zeosstud