Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Routers, cheap=junk ?  (Read 4142 times)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Routers, cheap=junk ?
« on: July 29, 2006, 11:59:56 am »
Hey guys,

I know normaly routers cost around the

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
Re: Routers, cheap=junk ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 03:19:12 pm »
Nothing wrong with them.  You may find things harder to adjust, or unable to adjust, materials will be cheaper, things may simply not work as well as with a higher-dollar item.

It's all in what you want to do.  Personally, I think you'd be better suited to getting a cheaper brand-name tool (Ryobi, Black & Decker, etc) than going with something that is only made to be cheap, and I wouldn't recommend you EVER buy a cheap power tool, but I'm learning that to some folks, cost IS the main factor.  Ease of use is secondary....until they get it home and call me up asking how it works and why doesn't such and such fit and blah blah blah.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 08:48:28 am »
if the Chinese cheapy router you are talking about is the same as the one Harbor Freight sells in the US, it is not a well-recieved tool on the WW forums.

miles2912

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:52:09 pm »
I have a cheapo Harbor Freight Router that built my mame cab without any problems.  It was a pain to adjust the height for t-molding and routing out the recesses in the CP but once I got it locked in it went great.  A better router would have saved time and effort but this was only going to be used to build a mame cab and then pretty much forgotten about.  If I had to do much more with it (including making another cab or juke) I would junk the router and get a name brand plunge router.

For what you are doing I would have no problems with a cheap router.

D-
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

NightGod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 09:28:57 pm »
if the Chinese cheapy router you are talking about is the same as the one Harbor Freight sells in the US, it is not a well-recieved tool on the WW forums.
That's because those guys are woodworking professionals/hobbyists who buy tools with the intent of having them last through years, if not decades of heavy use. For as little as you'll likely use the router, a cheapo one should be fine, just makes sure you understand everything it can (and, more importantly, can't) do before you start using it. Definately a situation where you should RTFM, if only to save your fingers.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

Maverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2006, 09:53:19 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 07:53:08 pm »
I wouldn't trust a router that cheap unless I got a namebrand at yard sale. Anything with a bit that's razor sharp moving at 22,000 rpm, you want to be well constructed. Just my 2 cents.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 05:59:57 pm »
Mmm, I think good points are made on "both sides"......doubting even more.

Just like Miles2912 says, I only will be using it for one (mini) cab and maybe one CP....
Not a daily working tool. But on the other hand Maverick has a good point too...

I couldn't find a picture on the internet of the one I'm talking about (Budget BER10205) but this looks EXACTLY like it (except other color):
http://www.br-mannesmann.de/Produkte/Hauptlinie/Oberfraese/oberfraese.html

Looks EXACTLY like the cheapest Harbor Freight router I could find on their site:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47937

So yes, we are talking the same device here...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 06:03:47 pm by Level42 »

Maverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2006, 09:53:19 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 06:54:30 pm »
You can always rent it at Home Depot or a local rental place. Try your local pawn shops for deals if you need to buy one.

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 09:40:06 am »
That's because those guys are woodworking professionals/hobbyists who buy tools with the intent of having them last through years, if not decades of heavy use. For as little as you'll likely use the router, a cheapo one should be fine, just makes sure you understand everything it can (and, more importantly, can't) do before you start using it. Definately a situation where you should RTFM, if only to save your fingers.

I am one of those WW forum guys, and I own several HF power tools. To be clear, what I was saying was that among folks that have used the HF router and reported back, they indicate that it is not a good HF level tool.

None of HFs tools can be compared to bosch or PC... This tool is not even on a good quality scale at the HF level.

NightGod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 01:20:28 am »
Ahh, gotcha.

I just found a friend that had a router and borrowed it from him-definately an option worth investigating.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 12:16:41 pm »
FWIW, I've got exactly the same model but in red. They sell for about
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

AceTKK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 01:14:48 am
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 06:10:59 pm »
I would never cheap out on a potentially dangerous tool like a router.  Something like a wrench or hammer is one thing, if it breaks you're only out a few bucks.  A router has the potential to do a lot of bodily damage if it malfunctions.  For what it's worth I have a very nice Porter Cable for sale right now in the FS/T forums.

I want my own arcade controls!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 12:43:16 am »
I would never cheap out on a potentially dangerous tool like a router.  Something like a wrench or hammer is one thing, if it breaks you're only out a few bucks.  A router has the potential to do a lot of bodily damage if it malfunctions.  For what it's worth I have a very nice Porter Cable for sale right now in the FS/T forums.

I believe it's ok to cheap out as long as you spend decent money on safety equipment. For example - I got my router on EBay for 20 bucks shipped. But! To make sure I (and my future unborn children) was safe, I bought this safety equipment:

Notice the extra armor where needed most.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 08:29:44 am »
Wahahahaha, no way you needed THAT much space at the armor where you need it most  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 04:13:40 pm »
OK I thought about it and decided to leave it for now....Thanks for all your information guys, well appreceated!
I personaly think a good tool is worth the money. However I won't be needing it a lot. I don't think anyone I know has a router, but there might be one. Else I could maybe rent it at a DIY store.