Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Real World Golf  (Read 2747 times)

19rjs99

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2019, 08:31:31 pm
Real World Golf
« on: April 20, 2006, 01:01:44 pm »
Has anyone tried Real World Golf yet? I was going to get it for the Xbox. It's $69.99 @ EBgames. I was a little disappointed it only comes with one pair of gloves though. This would make multiplayer a pain  :angry: .

I would like some feed back before I make the leap.

Bob

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
Re: Real World Golf
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 05:56:47 pm »
Seems like the critics are saying it's really solid and a lot of fun, if it's the MadCatz peripheral that I think you're referring to.  If the system takes off it could take some of Nintendo's Revolution thunder away, I suppose. 
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

Kane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2023, 08:05:47 am
  • What?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 07:15:22 am »
This game looks like it rocks. You will need additional tracking gloves for multi-player. They are available from Madd Katz website for 10$ a pair

versapak

• Somewhere between a block of wood and a monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2020, 02:42:43 pm
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 09:26:34 am »
This game looks like it rocks. You will need additional tracking gloves for multi-player. They are available from Madd Katz website for 10$ a pair

You wouldn't NEED another pair of gloves, as you could just swap them. The multiplayer has one player play through the entire hole, before switching players, so it would cut down on the glove switching a bit, but yeah... Multiple pairs would be easier.

versapak

• Offline Offline
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 10:59:17 pm »
Thanks to this thread revealing this game to me, and me being an absolute peripheral WHORE, I went and purchased this game.

First off...

The gfx SUCK!

The game on the other hand...

The sim aspect of this game is pretty darn amazing. The gametrak system that MadCatz came up with is slick, and you truly feel in control of your entire shot. The game itself isn't a very exciting "console" golfing title, but with a few friends it does give you the nice feel of playing the actual game of golf.

For $70, I found this title to be well worth it. It is a shame that it is on the Xbox and not the 360, since the Xbox is on its way out, but oh well. I still have mine hooked up, so all is well.

They are also releasing a baseball game for this system, and I can't wait for that one. I hope this gametrak stuff sells well enough that MadCatz does carry it on into the next generation. They could do some truly great things with this thing.

Also...

There really isn't any need for additional gloves. The gloves are basically a pinky and thumb wrap around glove. They are extramely easy to take off and put on quickly so sharing a pair takes no effort at all really. If everyone were to have their own, they'd still need to snap into the cables which honestly probably only saves you about 2-3 seconds.

19rjs99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 04:58:58 pm »
Sweet... Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll go and pick it up this week. It could make a nasty weather wekend alot more fun. :applaud:

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 05:39:23 pm »
Is this thing realistic enough to improve performance in real-life golf?
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

nullb0y

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 04:37:32 pm
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 06:29:15 pm »
probably not lmao we serll the ps2 verstion of this game at target an it looks pretty dumb i think it was made in responce to the earlier game that was a 200 dollar golf pad use ur own club deal....
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!

versapak

• Offline Offline
  • I am t3h GAY!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 10:56:02 pm »
probably not lmao we serll the ps2 verstion of this game at target an it looks pretty dumb i think it was made in responce to the earlier game that was a 200 dollar golf pad use ur own club deal....

I agree that it isn't likely to improve your actual golf game, but it is definitely a LOT better than pretty dumb. :P

The way the system works is actually pretty decent, and it really does a great job of tracking your movement. Instead of being a cheesy cheap VR wanna be, they came up with a rather effective way of going about it, with a nice and simple cost effective design.

My only dissapointment is that it was not put out on next generation platforms instead, so future titles using the techology will most likely be very few, if there any at all beyond the upcoming baseball title.

19rjs99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 12:22:33 pm »
I got mine on Friday but haven't had a chancee to try it out yet. Maybe tonight. I'll give you my feedback as soon as I can.

19rjs99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 11:25:39 am »
Hooked mine up last night and had a great time playing :applaud: . This is as close to a simulator as it gets without putting out tons of $$$$. This is a very fun device. You can really loose track of time. I have to admit that the graphics aren't going to blow you away but the game is quite good. I would highly recommend it for the golfer looking for something to do on those rainy days or it will also make a great party  :cheers: game. For $70 with the game included this is a no brainer. The baseball game coming out also looks really neat.

Bob

big daddy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2019, 12:16:13 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 11:35:22 am »
just picked one up this weekend.  I'd say it definitely is fun.  It's nice to be able to play a video game but feel like I'm actually doing something (I was even a little sore the next day!).  And everyone seems to complain about the graphics, but I found no issue with it at all.  I think they look ok (and this is on a 57  inch screen...so maybe it's because all non-HD graphics look bad on that tv :-). 

As for it's "simulation" ability, I'd say that's way off, unless I'm a natural.   I'm not a golfer, have played it only once in real life when I was a kid, yet in just my 2nd game, with the setting on Pro, I hit 3 over par in 9 holes.  That doesn't sound good, but I mean I'd expect much worse given I hadn't swung a real club in 20 years.   I mean your talking about a guy who's swinging the club more like a baseball bat than a golf club  :)    I managed to hit 2 birdies in those 9 holes as well, and if my putting was better I would have finished under par easily.  (I can never get the power right on putts).

I rarely hit hooks or slices.  About 90% of my shots are straight on pro mode.  Now I rarely hit them all "clean" (i.e. I usually get 110% power, 90% clean), but that just affects distance and not direction...so generally my shots are shorter but go where I'm aiming.  Every blue moon I hit a "good drive" shot where I get 100%, so I'd say that part is accurate, it's just the hooks/slices that don't seem as sensitive.

So while it's fun, I'd say it's not much of a simulation.  Yes, I can tilt my hands and see the club face move, but I generally don't mishit with hooks or slices. (occasionally, but not the frequency I'd expect being a novice).   I need to go out and actually try the real golf game to see if I just have natural ability  :)

As for the game, the only part I hate is clicking the button with my left foot.  I get bored with the animations, etc. so fast forward through them and since I don't stand on the button I have to hit then move my foot to click the button, hit again, etc.

19rjs99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 12:42:04 pm »
just picked one up this weekend.  I'd say it definitely is fun.  It's nice to be able to play a video game but feel like I'm actually doing something (I was even a little sore the next day!).  And everyone seems to complain about the graphics, but I found no issue with it at all.  I think they look ok (and this is on a 57  inch screen...so maybe it's because all non-HD graphics look bad on that tv :-). 

As for it's "simulation" ability, I'd say that's way off, unless I'm a natural.   I'm not a golfer, have played it only once in real life when I was a kid, yet in just my 2nd game, with the setting on Pro, I hit 3 over par in 9 holes.  That doesn't sound good, but I mean I'd expect much worse given I hadn't swung a real club in 20 years.   I mean your talking about a guy who's swinging the club more like a baseball bat than a golf club  :)    I managed to hit 2 birdies in those 9 holes as well, and if my putting was better I would have finished under par easily.  (I can never get the power right on putts).

I rarely hit hooks or slices.  About 90% of my shots are straight on pro mode.  Now I rarely hit them all "clean" (i.e. I usually get 110% power, 90% clean), but that just affects distance and not direction...so generally my shots are shorter but go where I'm aiming.  Every blue moon I hit a "good drive" shot where I get 100%, so I'd say that part is accurate, it's just the hooks/slices that don't seem as sensitive.

So while it's fun, I'd say it's not much of a simulation.  Yes, I can tilt my hands and see the club face move, but I generally don't mishit with hooks or slices. (occasionally, but not the frequency I'd expect being a novice).   I need to go out and actually try the real golf game to see if I just have natural ability  :)

As for the game, the only part I hate is clicking the button with my left foot.  I get bored with the animations, etc. so fast forward through them and since I don't stand on the button I have to hit then move my foot to click the button, hit again, etc.

I agree that it is not totally a simulation but for $70 that is as close as it is gonna get. That only buys a couple hours on the $100,000.00 simulators. I really enjoy actually doing something instead of sitting on my butt while playing a game. My wife loves DDR so I guess this is my answer to that as I can't even come close to keeping up with her on that and vice versa.

I also have a Golf Launch Pad http://www.electricspin.com/ and this is much more accurate and enjoyable but requires me to take the thing outside to play. My ceilings just aren't high enough. Glad you are enjoying it and I hope this takes off for Madcatz as it is really fun.