Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Galaga - Another Scratch Built Replica..  (Read 25099 times)

HoopstarsGarage

• Scratch Building Demi-God!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2016, 09:24:11 pm
  • Scratch Building Demi-God..
    • Hoopstars Garage
Galaga - Another Scratch Built Replica..
« on: December 18, 2005, 08:17:04 am »
Since having completed my first cabinet (Centicade) I have had the itch to do another replica MAME cab.  As a kid growing up in the early 80's, my favourite game of all time was Galaga.  There was something about that game that had me hooked back then, and since discovering MAME a few years ago, I have become a Galaga addict again..

Unfortunately in Australia back in the early 80's we were not lucky enough to have a lot of the distinctive original cabinets that the game manufactures brought out.  Instead, we were stuck with boring simulated woodgrain cabinets that for the most part blended into each other in the arcades with the only major difference between one machine and the next being the graphics on the screen and the (poor quality) marquee.  It was an era of bootlegs and generic cabinets  :'(

For this next project I wanted.. no sorry NEEDED to have my very own Galaga cabinet by Namco.  I wanted this cab to look like I'd turned back time to 1981 and managed to import a brand new Galaga cabinet for my games room.  In short.. I needed to build another scratch built replica.. ;)

So the design brief for this one was pretty simple:

- It had to be as close to the real thing as possible.  
- It had to have as many original parts as possible.  
- It had to ooze 1981 Galaga.
- It had to look NIB (New In Box)
- It had to have leaf switches.. just like the original.

So began the search for as many original parts from a Namco Galaga cabinet as possible to make this dream a reality.   Repro is nice, but if the original part could be found.. and in good condition, then it would be employeed in this project.  I also wanted detail - the little details that for the most part are over looked during the average build up.   Did I say ooze 1981 Galaga??

The whole project received a massive shot in the arm when I checked out the Buy/Sell/Trade section on BYOAC one day mid-2005..  To be honest, I very rarely check this section and I was pretty stoked to find someone parting out a complete Galaga cabinet that was pretty badly water damaged.

I put a bid on the parts I wanted/needed and got most  of what I wanted and for a very very reasonable sum including delivery to Australia.  The parts included:

- Metal Control Panel complete with original joystick, buttons and loom.
- Speaker Grille.
- Rear Transport Handles.
- CP Catches and Associated Hardware.
- Original Namco plate.

I then set about trying to find a nice, original Namco coin door.  I began a daily troll on Ebay (US) in search of a nice coin door.  Easier said than done - most of the ones I looked at had big dents in them, where missing parts or had been basically stuffed when someone tried to break into them.  I eventually found a pretty nice one - it was clean, straight and complete but the front was a little rusty.  Ended up costing me about $80AUD including delivery - pretty expensive, but such is the cost of originality :)

By Now the ball was really rolling and I started looking at getting the artwork.  TwoBits handle the Namco licensed repro artwork which is very very nice.  It is silk screened and as close as you can get to the original stuff.  The downside is the price of getting the side art (x2), the kick panel art, Control Panel Overlay and the Marquee including delivery would run out to around $400 AUD..  :o

Again, I started trolling Ebay in the hope to find some cheap artwork.  I bid on a couple of items and always got outbid - I wanted it, but not as badly as some others obviously did.  I then found out that most of the artwork sold on Ebay (especially by twobits) is seconds quality.  I did not want to deal with something that could be considered second rate in terms of finish, scratches, creases or rips - there has been plenty written about this on RGVAG..!!

When it seemed certain I was about to be some $400AUD out of pocket to cover this part of the project, I stumbled across a guy here in Australia who had bought the complete artwork set for his own (stalled) project and was selling them on Ebay.  I ended up winning the auction for only $206AUD - a saving of nearly $200..!! ;D

So with pretty much all of the parts in hand, I set about researching the cabinet side of things.  Jakobuds awesome website proved invaluable once again as the basis of the dimensions for the cabinet.  I say the basis because during the build up of CentiCade, I found a couple of the measurements to be out.

After lots of researching, collecting photos from all over the web and lots of posts on RGAVC I pretty much felt I was at the point to construct accurately a Galaga cabinet as close to the original Namco dimensions that is possible...  I intend to feed my findings back to Jakobud so he can update his own website once this is all completed..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:39:54 am by HoopstarsGarage »

HoopstarsGarage

• Offline Offline
    • Hoopstars Garage
The Cabinet..
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 08:17:28 am »
First step was to cut out the sides of the cabinet...  Nothing overly complicated here other than checking and then rechecking my work.  One thing I WON'T be doing again is screwing through the sides of the cabinet from the outside like I did with CentiCade - it proved to be a big mistake and took a LOT of time to blend the filled areas of these screws.. and that was with white - with the gloss black of Galaga it would stand out like a sore thumb  :P

I'm not going to bore you with a whole lot of step-by-step photos but rather point out some of the finer details on this build..  Enjoy..!!
Here is an over view of the cabinet..  Nothing overly complicated in these shots but note how the from coin door panel angles in - well actually it is at right angles to the ground and the front of the cab has a slight lean outwards towards the player.

This shot shows the control panel and monitor/bezel area - I am going to be running a brand new 21" arcade monitor on this build up so unfortunately won't be using the repro bezel artwork from TwoBits..  Probably a good thing as the price landed is around $400AUD just for that one piece..  I have a couple of other ideas up my sleeve that may work out - just wish someone would vectorize the raster image on Local Arcades.
Another point of interest is that the monitor mount (lower frame) is angled slightly towards the player for better viewing of the monitor.  The angles and distances are exactly the same as the original.

Here you can see the cut outs for the molded handles that Galaga uses - note that the centre bolt hole for each handle is suppose to be higher than the outer holes.  You can also see the on/off switch access hole on the top of the cab - this is in exactly the same position and exactly the same diameter as the original.. again, it's the little things that make the difference..  ;D

A Galaga wouldn't be a Galaga without the wooden coin box.  As with most things on this cabinet, it is in the same position and of the same size as the original.  I intend to fabricate the cover and lock bar frame for the coin box to the same specs as the original.  I will also be fitting a repro coin bucket for a little more added authenticity..

The speaker setup is one area that does deviate slightly from the original cab.  Firstly you'll notice the flattened cut out of speaker hole..  This is how the original was cut out but was actually flattened on BOTH the front and the back which covered up a lot of the speaker - I opened this up as much as possible to take advantage of the higher quality speaker I am using.  On this, I went to my local car audio store who were having a sale - picked up some metal coned, rubber surround 4 way 6"x9" speakers for only $30..!!  Did a quick bench test on one and they sound pretty nice actually - not sure how this will translate with Galaga's mono electronic sounds, but should be interesting..

The back access door is a replica of the original as well including the measurements of the air vents and their relative positions to each other.  I will be using the same mesh inside these vents just like the Namco cab did..

Well thats enough for tonight..  I hope to get some more done on Saturday because then it's Christmas and that just blurrs into new year which is almost always a blurr in itself :)

Hope you enjoy the build up..

Hoops
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:40:56 am by HoopstarsGarage »

jhanson

Re: Galaga - Another Scratch Built Replica..
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 10:02:09 am »
Looking great!  Keep the pictures coming.   :)

spriggy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 10:28:06 am »
Well Done Hoopstar,

Good to see another Aussie replicating original classics...however...unlike me  ::).....your actually doing it and not just talking about it!! :-\  I still have 2 other cabs to finish before I start.

Best of luck.
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

clonestar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2009, 04:00:53 pm
  • Thunderbirds are puppets!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 04:33:51 pm »
I really like your project so far and think that the quality of your work and attention to detail makes the difference between a replica and a great replica.  I am about to start a replica galaxian upright can anyone tell me if this cab is the same?

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 05:01:01 pm »
IIRC the Galaxian cab is the same or very similar to the original Pacman cab. 

The Galaga cab is similar/same as the MsPacman cab.

HoopstarsGarage

• Offline Offline
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 08:02:17 pm »
IIRC the Galaxian cab is the same or very similar to the original Pacman cab. 

The Galaga cab is similar/same as the MsPacman cab.

Correct..!!

Galaxian and Pacman are exactly the same and Galaga and Ms PacMan are the same cabs..

good luck with your project clonestar..!!

Hoops

dmsuchy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2009, 09:00:08 pm
  • I kill communist llamas for fun.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 08:44:12 pm »
Another project coming along very nicely! Did you ever get side art for your cenepide cab?

HoopstarsGarage

• Offline Offline
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 10:09:43 pm »
Another project coming along very nicely! Did you ever get side art for your cenepide cab?
Thanks dmsuchy - wait until you see my next project after this one..!!
The side art is on order and waiting the 8 weeks it usually takes to get stuff from the US to Australia - and with the Christmas period, it will probably be even longer :(

..and then I have to get my slack butt around to actually fitting it. ;D

Hoops

Wetworks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2017, 11:27:10 pm
  • Look Mum I glow!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 06:38:01 am »
Nice... I have always wanted an original Midway Galaxian cabinet and living in Australia found it almost impossible to track one down so a few years ago decided to build one. Have a Marquee, Bezel, Green T-Molding,4-way joystick and plans and that's it  :-[. (To many other fix em's ) . I am still trying to find a control panel. ( Anyone?) I will follow your progress with interest as it may be the inspiration I need. :)
A few questions..
1. Who are you buying the monitor off and how much? (If in Aus)
2. Are you going to wire it to use an original PCB board , jamma 9 in 1 or Mame?
3. Are the cross monitor supports screwed to the inside side supports (hidden)  to hide all external screws?
Thanks

Looks great so far...Look forward to seeing more!!

HoopstarsGarage

• Offline Offline
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 06:46:01 am »
1. Who are you buying the monitor off and how much? (If in Aus)
Jomac..
2. Are you going to wire it to use an original PCB board , jamma 9 in 1 or Mame?
I was going to use an original PCB but the cost of them is rediculous.  I am going to be running MAME on it but with only Galaga, Galaxian and Space Invaders - the three big Midway games.  It runs only a 2 way leaf joystick and a single fire button.
3. Are the cross monitor supports screwed to the inside side supports (hidden)  to hide all external screws?
All screws are completely hidden from view when the cab is assembled.  The cross supports are glued (liquid nails) and screwed in place - she's not going anywhere :)

Good luck with your own cab - I hope I can be a small source of inspriation for you.

Hoops

Wetworks

• Offline Offline
  • Look Mum I glow!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 03:01:07 am »
Any updates Hoopstar?
Can't wait to se more pics! Especially the mounting of CP, Monitor and Glass ( Hint Hint).

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 07:15:57 am »
that is looking good. should turn out as well as the centipede. you dont happen to live in brisbane by any chance  ;D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

HoopstarsGarage

• Offline Offline
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 08:40:23 am »
you dont happen to live in brisbane by any chance  ;D
Nope.. I am an Adelaide boy.. ;)

I have painted the cabinet but because of the high heat here at the moment (last four days have been over 40'C) the paint has blushed a bit and I am not happy with the result.  I am in the process of rubbing it back out and will re-paint it again when things cool down a bit.

Apart from that, the cabinet is complete because I have completely finished the FE, OS and all the electronics...  Oh, I do need to re-paint the coin door too..

Fear not fellow arcaders.. it's still moving along, albeit a little slower than I would like.. :(

Hoops

Wetworks

• Offline Offline
  • Look Mum I glow!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 05:05:53 am »
Hi Hoopstar,
Just starting some plans on my Galaxian repro and have a question regarding this part

Quote"
Another point of interest is that the monitor mount (lower frame) is angled slightly towards the player for better viewing of the monitor.  The angles and distances are exactly the same as the original.
"
How did you find the angles. I have been looking at Jakobuds plans ( and I know the Galaxian cab is different from the Galaga) but I saw a pic of the inside of Pacman (same as Galaxian) and the monitor mount is also at an angle towards the player. Where is this noted in the Jakobud plans?
Thanks mate hope its cooled down a bit for you in Adelaide ..We hit thirty in Tassie
All the best!

Edit And does the Control Panel hold the Glass Bezel in place? Thanks again
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 05:14:29 am by Wetworks »

M3talhead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2020, 07:35:12 pm
  • Dont let Donkey Kong use your toilet.......
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 03:22:52 pm »
Very nice indeed.

One word of advice: Take more pictures than you think you'll need. If you decide to keep going and build another 2 or 3 cabs, you'll want those pictures to refer back to. I took over 850 pics during my last build and sometimes I wonder if that was enough!  ;D :D
Signature tags are dumb.

Crafty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2009, 11:32:25 pm
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 12:39:04 am »
Updates ????

I'm also an Adelaide Boy...

Maybe we can catch up at some point...
A Bad Day Playing Is Better Than a Good Day Working

HoopstarsGarage

• Offline Offline
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 07:52:57 am »
Woooooow...  it's been a while since I updated this and the cab's moved on a "little" since my first post...

Ok..  back into it..

I have sanded down the cabinet.. nothing too hard core, just a quick rub back with 400 dry on a random orbital air sander, then I have shot the whole lot with grey under-coat primer and have let this "bake" for a couple of days inside the warmth of my workshop..

From there, I shot 3-4 coats of semi-gloss black over the whole thing and let that dry for a couple of days, after which I rubbed it back again, but this time with a little water with a couple of drops of dish washing liquid and 800 wet/dry paper..  This gives the final top coat a really good flat surface to bond to and will really look great..  well.. fingers crossed :)  Between the 800 and the final coat, I will give it about a week for all the solvents to evaporate..

Here's a quick piccy of where we are at with the cab side of things - it's a bit dusty, but you get the idea..

While I wait for that to take place, I decided to get stuck into the coin door restoration..

[SIZE="4"]Coin Door Restoration[/SIZE]

First job was to remove all both the mechs, wiring loom, locks etc leaving just a bare door and frame.  Then it's just a simple matter of taking it to the sand blasters to get rid of the old paint and rust..  
I have a shocking memory, so I always take lots of detailed photos BEFORE I remove anything so that when it comes time to re-assemble it, I can actually do it right the first time - you don't want to be mucking around with your freshly painted door and end up scratching it..

Stripped down coin door..

And  the coin door frame..

I decided to take the door and frame to the sand blaster at the last minute yesterday thinking with a little luck, I could pick it up Friday afternoon and get stuck into it over the weekend.  The Sand-blaster dude said he could do it while I waited which was pretty cool and that it would be about $10 - while he was in the booth I was thinking: "why would anyone bother wasting 2 or 3 hours sanding down a door for $10..!!".  

The result:

I think you'll agree, it's pretty sexy looking at metal that hasn't seen the light of day for some 25 years.. or maybe that's just me?? :rolleyes   The best part is the guy said not to worry about the money..  
The really nice thing about sand blasting is that it give a nice surface for the paint to key in to which means a really nice, tough surface that should last for another 25 years.

The next step was to try and replicate the "splatter" patterning that the original door had.  I put the door and frame out in the sun for an hour or so, so that it was really warm - and then brought it inside the workshop for a couple of quick, thin coats of satin black..  Once this flashed off, I put it back out in the sun again to bake for about 30 minutes.
I then grabbed a spray can of High Build spray putty and proceeded to splatter this over the nicely coated door and frame.  I achieved this by just ever so lightly pressing on the nozzle which causes the paint to splutter out..

Again, this was left to dry for about 30 minutes and then I shot 4 coats of satin black over the whole thing.. back and front.  That was about enough for last night and so I shut up shop and went inside to see the wife :)
First thing this morning, I pulled the door and frame out into the morning sun and let it sit there for most of the day..  The beauty of the black is that it attracts the sun and bakes it really hard, really quickly..

While is was out baking, I proceed to carefully clean all the coin mechs, looms  and various metal pieces..  Luckily the wife was at work so she didnt see the the wiring loom in the dish washer - or the fact that the photos above where taken on her nice new granite bench tops..  :D

The (nearly) final result is thus:

Unfortunately it doesn't photograph that well, but in the flesh, the splattering is a little more pronounced and a LOT more even.  For my first, full coin door restoration I am pretty happy.

Before and after of the coin door mechs...  I am looking at repro-ing the small "Manufactuered By Vendall Machines" decal that you can see inside the door, just for that little bit of extra detail.

And here is the finished article with a new lock for that final touch..  There are still a couple of things I want to do before it is labeled complete: First up is the coin chutes need to be re-chromed - they're just sitting on there for the photo.  I plan on taking them down to the chromers tomorrow morning.  I gave the 25 cent inserts a quick polish with some Meguiars Plastic Polish and they absolutely shine, but they don't photograph up here all that well - in relaity they are very bright and vibrant. That said, I want to make up some 20 cent decals to replace the 25 cent US pieces and modify the mechs to accept 20 cent coins..

Thought I should update this a little as I've managed to get a little more done in the last day or so..

First up I thought I would tackle the restoration of the control panel - as you can see, it was a bit of a basket case when I received it.  The original overlay was badly cracked and there was a bit of surface rust from years of drinks being spilled over it.  The buttons were the incorrect color, burnt from cigarettes and all gummed up with dried "something".. :lol

The front of the control panel was not any better with some of the artwork being cut away (probably due to it pealing away).. For some reason the operator had drilled four holes into it.. :unsure

Judging by the amount of surface rust on the joystick mechanism I am betting that this machine spent most of it's days by the sea side.  I set about pulling all of this down and dropping it into an ice cream container full of de-oxidene - this is a rust converter and about a day later, I was left with virgin metal after which everything was primed and treated to a couple of coats of satin black.  New leaf switches and rubber stoppers were installed and the whole lot lubricated with a tiny amount of moly-grease on the sintered bearings..

Back with the control panel itself, the next job was to strip everything off making sure I marked down which leaf switch went to which button..

The holes on the front of the control panel were welded up with the MIG.  A little trick is to place a lump of brass behind the hole as you weld it up which stops the weld from just falling through and gives a nice flush finish to the side that is kinda difficult to get to with the grinder.. :cool:

Next step was to use the angle grinder to smooth off the welds and then use the air sander with 240 grit paper to get rid of all that surface rust...

Next up is a layer of body filler to fill the slight imperfections left by the welding and grinding process.  Using a sanding block, the filler is rubbed back leaving you with a very thin skim of the filler and a perfectly flat panel..

Once all the filling and rubbing down was completed, I hit the entire control panel with a couple of coats of hi-fill spray putty.  This helps blend the filler into the rest of the panel and also fills any small surface inperfection - it's probably overkill when you consider the thickness of most overlays, but I think the little details show up in the end result.  When the spray putty is dried, it's rubbed it back with 800 grit wet and then dried off with the air gun..

The next step is to prime the spray putty and bare metal areas and then give is a couple of coats with satin black to give a nice smooth surface for the control panel overlay to adhere to and a more professional looking underside..

As you can see, the joystick shaft and handle were in pretty poor shape but came with free "crud".  I'm not sure what it was, but it was bloody hard to remove.  Once I'd clean this up as best as I could, I put it in my drill press and used wet and dry to remove any imperfections... I gradually moved up to 1200 grit on the ball lubricated with some Meguiars final glaze polish

And here the finished product with the Licensed control panel overlay, new bolts (from Mikes Arcade in the US) and believe it or not, some NOS buttons that I won off of Ebay a while back.. :cool:  The re-worked joystick looks pretty good considering what I started out with..

And here is an underside shot showing the new buttons, leaf switches, cleaned up and original wiring loom, and the restored joystick mech..

Today I also resprayed the cabinet for the third time..!! :rolleyes

The first attempt I used semi-gloss and when it was compared to the blacks in the side art, it was not glossy enough.  On the second attempt, I used gloss black, but the result was waaaaay too much gloss..  So I played around with some test pieces using a "custom" mix of the gloss and semi-gloss paint to get the gloss level as close as possible to the side art.  My experiments showed that a 37:63 ratio of semi-gloss:gloss was nearly perfect..  Maybe I'm getting a little to anal for this?

Today was the first day that we've had in Adelaide for a long while that it hasn't been either too hot or too humid to paint..  My patience and experimenting paid off and the resulting paint job looks amazing..  I'll show off more of that tomorrow because it was getting too late in the day to photograph it by the time I'd packed everything up..

Well today I managed to get around to fitting the T-molding and the decals..

Not a great deal to say about them as the pictures basically speak for themselves - needless to say I am very pleased with the way it has all turned out and keen to get it inside the house.. hell, even the wife likes it..!! :D

Here's an overview as to where we are at with the cabinet..

The marquee is an early Two-Bits licensed reproduction and does not have the "By Midway" printed under Galaga..!!  I will be swapping this out later on but this will do for a little while.  The marquee retainers are PVC angle that is available from Bunnings and is quite cheap (about $5 a length)  I just cut them to size, give them a light sanding with 600 grit and then wipe them over with prepsol to remove any releasing agents.. then give them a couple of coats of satin black - they come out looking really good and the finish is quite durable.  The bottom is attached with liquid nails and the top with three screws so you can replace the starter or tube down the track or even the marquee if you're anal like me :)

The kicker decal was applied using the old "hinge method" where you line up where you want the decal, tape it with masking tape along the top, flip it up and remove the backing and CAREFULLY lay it down..
I determined the location of the kicker decal by using a reproduction plastic kicker plate at the bottom which you can kinda see in this shot at the very bottom of the cabinet.. this was again from Mike's Arcade in the US (a great guy).  Normally this was just stapled onto the front of the cabinet from the factory but I decided to use some liquid nails for a neater look.  The artwork itself sits ever so slightly under the kicker plastic and I always use a light spray of windex under the decal which temporarily reduces the adhesive properties of the decal - this means that you can get all the air bubbles out by using a laminex roller..

The sideart came next - let me tell you that this was real heart in the mouth stuff.  The material that the artwork is screen printed onto is pretty thin and would easily be damaged.  There is a protective paper layer on the top of the artwork as delivered which does help a little, but a lot of care needed to be taken..!!  I actually was baby sitting my 8 year old nephew who helped me out being the extra set of hands - trying to convert him young.. :lol
Again I used the hinged method with Windex and I carefully squeezed out the excess Windex while my nephew went around and mopped up all the liquid.  We got a couple of air bubbles under the artwork but the WIndex really aided in getting these out.  Those that were left disappeared quite quickly as the Windex seemed to dry out and re-rolling with the laminex roller got 98% of all the bubbles out.  Tomorrow I will go around and re-roller the entire artwork and anything left can easily be fix by using a safety pin and lightly pricking the bubble AT THE SIDE of the bubble and re-rolling the artwork.  As it stands, it looks pretty good and you can see that the effort I went to with the gloss matching worked out nicely..

This is a rear shot of the cabinet with the original Galaga handles installed.  Note that the screw holes are in the original location and it's not my dodgy drilling that has offset them like that - from all my stock photo files, this is how all the Galaga screws were installed.  In between the two handles you see what is personally my favorite part of the entire build - the original and DAMN hard to get "Engineered by Namco Ltd. Manufactuered by Midway MFG Co." metal plaque..  To me it really completes this replica cab and it's just a pity that it has to be hidden at the back of the cab. :unsure

Here is a close up of the Namco metal plaque - as you can see it's in near mint condition and the little nails holding it onto the cabinet are the original nails from an original cabinet - unfortunately I did not get these with this metal plaque but managed to get them from a guy in the US that stripped out a Galaga cabinet - I think he thought I was crazy paying $5US for 4 nails :)  They were a little rusty but a quick rub with some prepsol and steel wool brought them up and then coated with a thin application of clear nail polish (it's my wife.. I swear)

And finally for tonight the power switch for the cabinet - big deal I know but hey..:015:
The switch you see here is actually a momentary, center off toggle switch - the way I intend to wire this is to have the UP position wired to the computers power button and then DOWN position wired to the reset button in case the computer hangs for any reason.  The location and diameter of the cabinet hole is exactly the same position as a "real" Galaga with measurement supplied by the "Namco Nail guy" - I tell you, he thinks I am an idiot :)  The plate is made from aluminum and has four screws holding it in place (not original unfortunately) - the plate is also grounded just to be safe..

Next up I have to finish off the rear door and then wire up the cabinet and install the monitor.  In this case it'll be a 21" unit and will run one of Jomac's chassis..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:49:24 am by HoopstarsGarage »

HoopstarsGarage

• Offline Offline
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 07:58:59 am »
Just as a foot note - I am intending on putting in an Original Galaga PCB and wiring loom into this...  Can't go to all that effort of building a replica and not use a real board - just wish all you buggers would stop outbidding my on Ebay..

Since this is almost finished.. I am on to my next scratch build..

Hoops

spriggy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 08:18:45 am »
Just as a foot note - I am intending on putting in an Original Galaga PCB and wiring loom into this...  Can't go to all that effort of building a replica and not use a real board - just wish all you buggers would stop outbidding my on Ebay..

Since this is almost finished.. I am on to my next scratch build..

Hoops

Awesome job Hoops.  Wondering what happened to this!!
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:38:31 pm
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 09:15:32 am »
This cabinet is just beautiful.  The little touches like the power switch and the manufacturing plate really make it stand out.  I've always wanted a Galaga machine of my own and one of these days I'm going to build a replica - now I have something to aspire to.  Awesome awesome job.   :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:cheers:

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 10:40:00 am »
I decided to take the door and frame to the sand blaster at the last minute yesterday thinking with a little luck, I could pick it up Friday afternoon and get stuck into it over the weekend.  The Sand-blaster dude said he could do it while I waited which was pretty cool and that it would be about $10 - while he was in the booth I was thinking: "why would anyone bother wasting 2 or 3 hours sanding down a door for $10..!!".

I'm sooooo glad you posted this.  I read this then ran into the garadge to check out my coindoor.  Seems like a perfect candidate for the same red carpet treatment.  Seems I'll be making some calls here shortly.

Is it possible to buy the coin inserts, return button and locks someplace?  Mine are in pretty good shape, definately some rust, but I'm thinking after fixing up the coindoor they will jump out as horribly old.  I guess I'm wondering if it's just cheaper to order new ones or get them replated.. and if you can even get those coin release buttons replated due to their construction.  Do let me know what you do about those.

Awesome updates!
-csa

Aurich

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2021, 01:34:32 am
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 12:58:23 pm »
Wow it lives! Looks incredible.

I still have your early photos as reference for my scratch Galaga project, though mine is more like a kustom car to your careful original restoration. ;)

I would love photos of the monitor installation process if it's possible, I'm prepping my cab for a 24.8" monitor and still figuring out some details.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 03:08:46 pm »
That cab is looking like it came fresh out of the factory.  :o :o :o :o :o

spacies

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2015, 03:40:49 am
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 04:57:06 pm »

VERY nice work.

I am going to build one soon. I hope it turns out as good as yours.

:notworthy:

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 06:47:19 pm »
awesome

aumameman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2009, 09:50:07 pm
  • AUSSIE MAMER !!
    • Arcade joystick - First attempt
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 09:39:13 pm »
Hey HoopstarsGarage,

That's a sweet cabinet!

If you haven't already modded the coin slots, have u thought about using tokens instead?

arcoadetokens.com sells some sweet BYOAC related tokens, such as the home arcade token.

I wrote up a how to mod the coin slots of the Bally/Midway coin door about a year ago http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=52277

Oh, and the tokens are 25mm (.984") about the same size as a 10c coin and US Quarter, off by a few millimetres.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:50:57 pm by pacmame »
-- The Internet has you --

amadama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2019, 04:44:52 pm
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 10:21:35 pm »
This cabinet is beautiful! Fantastic job! I can only hope that my Pac-man comes out half as nice as your Galaga did. Look forward to seeing more from you (like that Star Wars!!!!!)
Alex

HoopstarsGarage

• Offline Offline
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 08:13:08 am »
Cheers guys...  be sure to see my latest project - my Scratch-built Star Wars Cockpit Cab

Hoops

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 09:08:37 am »
Any updates on this?  Did you ever get all the hardware installed? 

Great job and an inspiration to get me moving. 

P.S. I'm happy to report I purchased my first original arcade machine this weekend.  Galaga!  Needs some work but overall in good shape.  I plan on using your scratch build as a good example on how to fix it up.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

HoopstarsGarage

• Offline Offline
    • Hoopstars Garage
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 09:53:14 am »
Everything is completed on this.. 

I bought a two-bits repro glass bezel and won a nice working original Namco game board.  Rather than try and use the old, original harness, I order a new harness from Bob Roberts along with  a switch mode power supply.

I'll post images later..

Hoops
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:53:34 am by HoopstarsGarage »