Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atari Spinner + Mouse Hack = Problem. Help!  (Read 1960 times)

_Iz-

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:17:16 am
  • Time to coin up!
Atari Spinner + Mouse Hack = Problem. Help!
« on: February 01, 2003, 02:56:11 am »
Here's the scenario. I obtained an atari spinner from a tempest cabinet. I connected it to my hacked mouse and all the mouse pointer does in windows is "vibrate". Basically moves 1 pixel left and immediately 1 pixel right back to where it started. I know the mouse hack works as I had a 2 1/4" wico trackball connected to it. I know the spinner works because I took it back to the person I obtained it from and he connected it to his tempest cabinet and it worked perfectly. I can't figure this one out for the life of me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re:Atari Spinner + Mouse Hack = Problem. Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 02:59:13 am »
Is the encoder wheel simular to the tball's?

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 03:14:04 am »
Similar, but much larger. Trackball encoder wheels are ~1" in diameter. Spinner encoder wheel is ~3" in diameter. cutouts and spokes seem very much the same size on either.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 03:41:20 am »
Ask Kelsey (oscarcontrols) , he;d probably be the best to answer that.

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 05:20:19 am »
I solved my problem although I have no idea why this makes a difference. I completely covered every second cutout in the encoder wheel with black electical tape. Had to crank the speed up in mame a bit but other than that works awesome!

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 05:36:27 am »
it could be speed of wheel.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2003, 08:42:40 am »
I think the sensor wheel gaps are spaced so the mouse optic-receivers get blocked/unblocked at the same time.  They need to do this at different times so the mouse can tell which direction the wheel is moving.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2003, 02:00:31 pm »
I think the sensor wheel gaps are spaced so the mouse optic-receivers get blocked/unblocked at the same time.  They need to do this at different times so the mouse can tell which direction the wheel is moving.

I was using the original optics that came with the spinner. The same optics were in the trackball. (I opened the trackball and compared it's pcb's with the spinner's pcb) I just connected the 4 wires from original optic board in the spinner to my mouse hack same as I did for the trackball. All optic components have been removed from the mouse and wires were soldered to their previous locations.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2003, 02:44:47 pm »
I recently hacked Atari optics (RoadBlaster wheel) to a mouse.  I used exactly the same mouse as I used to hack to a trackball ( http://mamewah.mameworld.net/MouseHack.html ).

It worked perfectly :)  Perhaps your mouse is odd and doesn't like the signal it is getting (don't use a Logitech mouse).

Good luck

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2003, 06:35:12 pm »
I think the sensor wheel gaps are spaced so the mouse optic-receivers get blocked/unblocked at the same time.

I was using the original optics that came with the spinner. The same optics were in the trackball. (I opened the trackball and compared it's pcb's with the spinner's pcb) I just connected the 4 wires from original optic board in the spinner to my mouse hack same as I did for the trackball. All optic components have been removed from the mouse and wires were soldered to their previous locations.

Ahh, okay.  Since closing ever other gap fixed it, I'd combine Minwah & SirPoonga, then.  I guess the speed of the sensors changing (the signal) does not work with the mouse circuits (too fast) with the unmodified wheel. :-\

At least you did get it to work.  :D
Robin
Knowledge is Power