Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bush's supreme court nominees  (Read 10099 times)

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
Re: Bush's supreme court nominees
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2005, 08:21:18 pm »
It's no secret that Bush opposes Roe.  It takes neither clairvoyance nor wild assumptions.

Bush's stated position is that he will not pursue, but supports a constitutional ban on abortion to overturn Roe if the Supreme Court does not overturn itself (exceptions for Rape/Incest).  He has stated this more than once including on Meet the Press and a news conference on his maiden campaign trip running up to the 2000 election.

He has also stated recently, after a partial birth abortion ban in Nebraska was struck down by the Supreme Court that the abortion issue should be left to state legislatures to decide.  Hmm....didn't Roe have something to say about that?

He also said that Roe v. Wade "will not be overturned until hearts are changed. Until then, we should focus on ways to reduce abortion."  [emphasis added]

A lot of my info comes from the Lexis/Nexis database, which I'm sure few of you can check, but you can find references to it here (and considering the name of the source I don't think it should seem like I'm finding biased sources just to help my argument):

http://www.conservativenews.org/InDepth/archive/199903/IND19990322e.html

You have to take a pretty myopic view of the world to look at President Bush and say that you can't suss his stance on Roe v. Wade until he issues a press release.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2005, 10:49:50 am »
Smokes,

You have to take a pretty myopic view of the world to look at President Bush and say that you can't suss his stance on Roe v. Wade until he issues a press release.

Maybe. But it's a myopic view born out of distrust, a distrust developed through years of listening to him speak in code. "Until hearts are changed"? F*ck that...if he's appointing two ultra-conservative judges to SCOTUS who have the inherent intent of overturning Roe V. Wade, based on personal views, as opposed to how they interpret the law..then f*ckin'-A right he better issue a press release stating such, in as clear a wording as possible, what his goal is. (Again, to avoid "Conspiracy Theory Drew's" standard issue avoidance of said issue, I'm *not* saying this is Bush's intent, I am saying his intent with his SCOTUS appointment strategy has yet to be made clear)

If overturning Roe V. Wade by stacking the court with judges is the end goal, then it has nothing to do  "hearts being changed" and is instead nothing short of "activist legislation." The American people are owed an explanation. My more narrow point is this will never be spoken out loud, nor issued as a press release, because, it seems to me, those who'd wish to overturn Roe are in the minority. It is an issue settled by LAW, not personal belief and should only be overturned if there is an interpretation of the law that allows that. If Miers is a evangelical, who is opposed to abortion, and who intends on thwarting that established legislation because she is morally opposed...then I call "bullsh!t" as that is thwarting the will of the people (majority)!

"Bush's stated position is that he will not pursue"...I am making the point that *IF* Bush is appointing a judge whom he knows is intent on overturning Roe on principle, then this statement is a FLAT OUT LIE, since I'd consider that "pursuing."

As for Drew citing Ginsberg's testimony, great! Then there is precedence for nominees sharing their views and there is absolutely NO REASON either of Bush' nominees should not do the same. To hide behind shadowy rhetoric is unacceptable.

Personally, I'm not a single-issue voter and I'm not a heavy hitter on abortion either way. I honestly haven't made up my mind on how I feel about the whole thing. I do, however, know that a significant amount of people HAVE made up their mind and they have every right to know what Bush's true intent is with his judicial appointments.

Anyhow, I'll rest my case for now...and await the confirmation hearing (if Miers even makes it that far) before addressing this issue again.

mrC
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 10:52:36 am by mr.Curmudgeon »

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2005, 10:53:17 am »

That's edit #1.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2005, 11:59:15 am »

That's edit #1.

Settle down spaz...90% of my edits are grammar/spelling edits...the remaining 10% are to clarify a point, never to change anything I've said. If that helps you sleep at night.

You weren't one of those annoying little hall monitors in grammar school by any chance were you?

mrC

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2005, 12:01:06 pm »

No, but I figured I'd point out, the reason I try to stay away from your stuff is that every time I read it, you come back and edit it, so it gets marked new again, and then we have to try and figure out what you changed meaning we have to read it again, and this tends to happen multiple times on many of your posts.

There is a preview button that can be used to proofread long posts before posting them.  I use it frequently.

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2005, 12:04:55 pm »
Group hug time again?

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2005, 12:09:59 pm »

No, but I figured I'd point out, the reason I try to stay away from your stuff is that every time I read it, you come back and edit it, so it gets marked new again, and then we have to try and figure out what you changed meaning we have to read it again, and this tends to happen multiple times on many of your posts.

There is a preview button that can be used to proofread long posts before posting them.  I use it frequently.

I write extremely fast and I often have to publish something before I'm entirely happy with it. I'm in a cube with my boss sitting in the cube next time mine. If I have to get up to do something, or he gets up to grab me for something...I try to get it published since I may not have the time to get back to it.

If it helps you, I'll markup any future edits...if they are made, but I'll try to avoid them on longer posts by writing them in Outlook first, then copying and pasting the text.

Deal?

mrC

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2005, 12:15:03 pm »
I'm just one reader.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2005, 12:22:50 pm »
We'll, I agree it's bad form...and I'd like to avoid it. I have added an 'edit notation' at the bottom of posts in the past, but I have not been consistent either due to time or circumstance.

I will work to make these edits will be a thing of the past, or where they *do* happen to occur, I'll be more vigilant about notation. There's more than one reader here, probably makes sense to do it anyhow.

I hereby solemnly swear.

mrC
P.S. I've got a big post coming up later...so..hehe...It'll be a nice trial run.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2005, 12:26:20 pm »
P.S. I've got a big post coming up later...so..hehe...

Oh, and limit the obscenities.  Keep the big post instances to yourself.   ;D

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2005, 12:59:33 pm »
P.S. I've got a big post coming up later...so..hehe...

Oh, and limit the obscenities.  Keep the big post instances to yourself.   ;D

I've developed a warning, with the help of the Food, Drug, and BYOAC Political Discussion Administration, that should help you steer clear of any further issues.   :police:

mrC

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
I thought I felt a big post coming on earlier, but it turned out to only be a paint peeler.

-S

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2005, 02:10:29 pm »
Smokes,

Maybe. But it's a myopic view...

:)  I haven't read the rest of your post, but based on this I think you misunderstand me.  I'm pretty sure I'm on your side in this.

I'm saying that Drew's viewpoint is myopic.  I'm saying that if someone is chasing you around the room trying to stab you with a hunting knife you should be able to say with confidence that he wants to kill you, even if he hasn't issued a press release explicitly stating as much.

edit:  heh...it just occurred to me that you must think I'm totally crazy posting those quotes in an attempt to show that he doesn't want Roe overturned.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:20:36 pm by shmokes »
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2005, 02:12:43 pm »

But no one has held a Congressional hearing on the intentions of the knife itself.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2005, 02:15:00 pm »
I hadn't considered that.

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2005, 02:16:33 pm »

Nothing happens in this country without a Congressional hearing.

After the Congressional hearing, nothing happens.

Think about that.  Does that make the hearing irrelevant, or does it mean that in order for nothing to happen we must have a Congressional hearing?

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2005, 02:18:50 pm »
I type really fast too.....between 80 - 90 wpm pretty consistently.  If I don't edit a post after posting it I guarantee that it will not only have typos but will be missing words entirely.  You can almost always tell what I meant to say thanks to context, but...

So anyway, I have a bad habit of hitting the post button and then immediately reading over my post, which invariably leads to an edit.  Most my edits take place seconds after the initial posting, but these damned boards are so active that I rarely get my edit in before my post has been viewed (if you do, the post won't be marked as having been modified.  Once it's been viewed, though, you can't escape the "last edit" marker).

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2005, 02:21:45 pm »

Use the preview button before posting.

Nothing any of us posts is so damn important that a few seconds of extra time means anything.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2005, 02:25:55 pm »
Preview buttons are for old ladies and pedophiles.

Best Kid iPad Apps

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2005, 02:26:56 pm »

No, I don't think Congressman use the preview button either.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2005, 02:28:54 pm »

I have no idea why this made me laugh as hard as it did.

-S

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2005, 02:30:57 pm »

HA! (Goes back to composing in Notepad)

mrC

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2005, 02:34:46 pm »

Hit the delete button a few times... try some decomposing.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2005, 02:36:35 pm »
:)  I haven't read the rest of your post, but based on this I think you misunderstand me.  I'm pretty sure I'm on your side in this.

I viewed your post as a response to me saying, "Why do you need to ask for Bush's stance (as it concerns SCOTUS nominees), when it can be sussed out from previous statements. But it's clear now, what you are saying. My post still stands though, but I guess it's now more of a response to Drew.

edit:  heh...it just occurred to me that you must think I'm totally crazy posting those quotes in an attempt to show that he doesn't want Roe overturned.

No, I already think of you as totally crazy. The 'Dances with Chipmunks' photo pretty well cinched it.

mrC

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2005, 03:25:10 pm »
This just keeps getting better:

Bush, Today:

President Bush said Wednesday that Harriet Miers' religious beliefs figured into her nomination to the Supreme Court as a top-ranking Democrat warned against any "wink and a nod" campaign for confirmation.

"People are interested to know why I picked Harriet Miers," Bush told reporters at the White House. "Part of Harriet Miers' life is her religion."

Bush, Oct 4th, 2005:

"President Bush defended Harriet Miers, his nominee to the Supreme Court, Tuesday. "There is no litmus test," Bush said.

Well, at least he's finally being honest. But, unfortunately:

Our United States Constitution, Circa 1787, Article VI:

. . . no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States. . . .

mrC
/shakes head....

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2005, 03:27:04 pm »

Our United States Constitution, Circa 1787, Article VI:

. . . no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States. . . .

I don't think Bush has ever actually read (or even heard of) that document.

-S

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2005, 03:39:31 pm »

That is a misinterpretation.  The religious test refers to a mandated requirement for nomination, not for being part of the overall character evaluation.

They could not mandate that a Chrisitan be nominated.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2005, 03:47:25 pm »
That's nonsense.  Mr. C is interpreting it exactly how the Supreme court has interpreted it.  If the director for the EPA in Chicago hired an environmental scientist and publicly stated that one of the qualifications that was considered in hiring him was the man's relious views he would be toast if sued by someone who didn't get the job who was not religious.

Of course nothing will come of it, but holy crap that would be funny if she was confirmed and then the Supreme Court ruled that her appointment was unconsitutional.

Best Kid iPad Apps

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2005, 03:49:55 pm »
In fact, what would be HILARIOUS would be if a lower court ruled that the appointment was unconstitutional and then the S.C. refused to hear the case (actually I'm pretty sure that this would be one of the few cases where the  S.C. has original jurisdiction, but...)

Best Kid iPad Apps

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2005, 03:50:05 pm »
They could not mandate that a Chrisitan be nominated.

Given that she, really, has absolutely NO other qualifications...the religious 'evaluation' certainly looks more like a mandate.

Also, he's making a tactic admission that qualified "Aethists, Jews, Mormons, Wiccans, etc" need not apply.

Furthermore, plus his recent statement quite literally shows he was lying when he said he didn't have a "litmus test" for nominees.

It wasn't a smart thing to say, either way.

mrC

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2005, 03:50:18 pm »
The directory of the EPA is a different position.

It has not been mandated that Supreme Court nominees be Christian any more than it has been mandated that they be white or female.

I'm sure he was also looking for a woman to replace the departed woman, no one is quoting a similar law saying gender cannot be mandated.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2005, 03:58:47 pm »
The job should be given to whoever can hold their hand in a running blender the longest.

-S

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2005, 04:00:02 pm »

Dole!

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2005, 04:01:36 pm »
Okay, nevermind.

-S

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2005, 04:13:55 pm »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2005, 04:18:47 pm »

The sole criterium was who could hold their hand in a running blender the longest.

Dole would win that, his hand is mostly dead.

shmokes

• Offline Offline
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2005, 04:52:04 pm »
Delete your last post Chad.  Explaining it ruins it.

And it doesn't matter whether it's the POTUS nominating or the director of the EPA hiring.  If it's a federal position it's unconstitutional for a person's religion to be considered.  The Constitution doesn't say, "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification....unless it is done by the President."

Best Kid iPad Apps

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2005, 05:53:55 pm »
I thought I felt a big post coming on earlier, but it turned out to only be a paint peeler.

-S

I did feel a big post coming on earlier, but it was actually a little stone.  daisies.  I hate all stones now.

I can't believe you think Chad is an old lady.

As for "nonsense", that's nonsense.  There wasn't any test required, Chad nailed it as Bush assessing her as a human being and his belief that her entire life, including her religion, was used in determining if he thought she'd make a good Justice.  He didn't "require" any such thing, he simply stated it was considered, and MrC's right, it WAS stupid to give ANY reasons why he considered her.  It wasn't necessary, and certainly doesn't make me think it was any better of a choice.

I don't want the lady on the bench no matter WHAT her religious beliefs are.  I believe she'll be an embarrasment to the Court.  My only hope is that she's shot down, but thankfully, this looks to be one area where my two incompetent elected officials who sit on the judiciary committe seem to agree with my views.

Tangerine ---daisies---!

*edited to add invectives*
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

Daniel270

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2011, 12:34:14 pm
  • Older Than PONG!!!
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2005, 09:55:53 pm »
She looks more like Dr. Pulaski to me.

Oh and I hate you for making me post a picture of Dr. Pulaski. ;)

-S

Yeah! Cheesecake!

Errr.... no, not cheesecake...

Beverly Crusher is better looking...

"Human Females are so repulsive....."

I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere.