Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SYNC ON GREEN RGB Adapter with ArcadeVGA  (Read 2521 times)

wakeup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2014, 01:31:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
SYNC ON GREEN RGB Adapter with ArcadeVGA
« on: August 12, 2005, 01:22:35 pm »
Hey Guys,

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2024, 03:33:28 am
  • Sober until banned. Can post but still can't read.
Re: SYNC ON GREEN RGB Adapter with ArcadeVGA
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 01:30:10 pm »
I have a feeling Sync on Green is a Component video thing. You may need a dedicated converter for this.
Now in a tasty new flavour.

dabone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2023, 12:03:37 pm
  • Time to work...
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:34:53 pm »
Give the circuits a try, you won't blow anything up.

And sync on green is a OLD rgb standard.

(You can get composite video on a sync on green monitor just by only hooking up the green and ground. Instant green screen tv) :)
(If it supports 15k that is.)

Later,
dabone

wakeup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 02:44:16 pm »
Here is the Pin Assignment for the 25-Pin SYNC ON GREEN Connection (taken from the Monitor manual).

Pin assignments:
Pin Mo.:Signal:

wakeup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 06:01:55 pm »
So I just built that circuit and it seems to be working.  However i've run into another problem.

The display looks fine at the dos screens but as soon as windows loads it goes all shakey and fuzzy.  Like its set at a too high resolution for the monitor.

The lowest resolution I can set my ArcadeVGA to is 640x480 (in display properties).  Is there a way to run at CGA 640x200 but interlace up to 640x480 so I don't have this problem?

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

James

wakeup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 11:47:34 am »
So I've made some progress with this adapter.

I decided to experiment with resistors of different values.  I found the the lower the resistance, the more stable the picture on the screen.  I have decided (atleast for the time being) to use no resistor on the SYNC.

So basically, the circuit I have feeds the GREEN through a capacitor, combines with the SYNC, and goes into the Green pin on the 25-Pin SYNC ON GREEN connection.

Another problem I am experiencing is that I can see some sort of faint interference on the screen.  These are almost unnoticable jagged horizontal lines that slowly move down the screen.

One more thing is that I see a slight ghost on some bright colors.  For example, in street fighter, I see Ryu (in white), and a very faint translucent outline of the right side of his body, about 5mm to the right of his body.

Can anyone suggest a solution to these problems?  Or are these just part of using this Sony Monitor instead of a genuine Arcade Monitor?  Keep in mind that this monitor is CGA (Standard Res).  Thanks in advance.  I'll see if I can get some pics up.

James

kenmelk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2008, 09:39:13 am
  • We live "In a world of PURE imagination"
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 12:33:06 am »
Hey Would you build me a cable like this?  I have the same monitor and want to play with the SYNC on green setup like you have.  Please email or PM me with a price and i will be happy to pay for your time and effort.  Thanks and PLEASE let me know.
GALAGA...a way of life!