Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame And Linux  (Read 6572 times)

SOAPboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2009, 03:36:12 am
  • ..::GeeK::..
Mame And Linux
« on: June 21, 2005, 10:16:56 pm »
So.. i was thinking about installing Fedora on my mame machine, seems linux uses less resources and what not. .and well my mame machine is a bit 'weak' per say..

What nix mame versions are out there? and arnt a pain in the ass to install?

or should i just stick with windows..

« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 10:28:49 pm by SOAPboy »

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re: Mame And Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 10:37:14 pm »
if you are running xwindows (the gui) then look into gxmame, it's equivilant to mame32.  Otherwise xmame or advmame are your other choices.  I know advmame has a svglib version so you don't need xwindows.

You might want to look into sometihng like advancecd.

There's fraggel's cd which will install dos and a dos mame setup.
http://members.cox.net/mame1/download.htm

others
http://mame.how.to/
http://www.omnicade.com/
http://www.omnicade.com/

SOAPboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 10:42:34 pm »
if you are running xwindows (the gui) then look into gxmame, it's equivilant to mame32.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 10:51:24 pm by SOAPboy »

BurningDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2006, 10:51:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 01:26:22 am »
GXMame is just a front end for xmame.

http://x.mame.net/index.orig.html

Tahnok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2008, 06:09:25 am
  • Error recording error codes. Remaining errors lost
    • Table Arcades
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 01:48:41 am »
I need some help with this though.

I recently created a low-power linux machine for Mame and am completely stuck as far as getting emulators onto it. I downloaded XMame and AdvanceMame for linux, but I don't know what to do with either the .rpm or the .tar.gz files. Perhaps someone could point me in the direction of a basic linux user tutorial that will explain how to install and use new software.

On the recommendation of a book I bought, the system is running Mandrake linux.

Also, how would I go about creating a network between the linux computer and W2K. This would be a much easier way to transfer files. BTW, I already have a PTP network going between W2K computers, so I have some idea.
Note: Out of town with limited internet access 2-28-08 through 3-16-08

Bartop/Countertop Cabinet Kits For Sale

BurningDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 02:07:22 am »
Do you have a GUI up and running yet?  Mandrake will probably have some program that can install the rpm for you.  After that, you should be able to run xmame from the command line.  I'd recommend getting a front end for it so you don't have to call it from the command line each time.

The tar.gz is probably the source code, which you'd have to build yourself.

are you using it as a desktop computer to play mame on or do you plan to put it in a dedicate cabinet?

Tahnok

• Offline Offline
    • Table Arcades
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 02:20:09 am »
Do you have a GUI up and running yet?  Mandrake will probably have some program that can install the rpm for you.  After that, you should be able to run xmame from the command line.  I'd recommend getting a front end for it so you don't have to call it from the command line each time.

The tar.gz is probably the source code, which you'd have to build yourself.

are you using it as a desktop computer to play mame on or do you plan to put it in a dedicate cabinet?
It's running the included KDE GUI.

Alright, I'll look around for some sort of installer. I looked around for a frontend, but couldn't find anything that said it worked with Mandrake. Any suggestions?

The computer will be dedicated to my bartop cab.

Thanks for the help!

BurningDog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 02:36:39 am »
gxmame has rpms available for it.  Its more of a desktop type interface (think mame32) than one that fits in an arcade cabinet though, I haven't used any others on linux.

I'm guessing the book that suggested you use mandrake is a few years old, they're not really one of the top players anymore.  I'd suggest something based on debian.  If you wanted to go really light weight, install debian and get only the packages you need to get it running.  If you don't want to do that much work, then ubuntu is supposed to be really user friendly to get up and working, but has less packages in their official repositories.

Hit up the chatroom link sometime, I've usually been in there the past week or so.

SOAPboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 02:49:37 am »
yeah, ive come to the conclusion nix is to much of a pita to even bother with on my mame machine..

Dire Radiant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2011, 03:11:36 am
  • Cor, chief!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 03:10:02 am »
I played with Linux for my cab a while back and the only appreciable difference I could find is that with windows I have a much bigger choice of FE and Jukebox software.

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2024, 08:43:18 am
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 09:20:16 am »
If anyone wants to get advmame or advmenu running on linux my website may be helpful:
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/whammoed/whammocade/software.htm

Tahnok

• Offline Offline
    • Table Arcades
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 08:13:29 pm »
After talking to BurningDog last night, I tried to get some emulators going. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a single one running. I've had my fun with linux now, I think I may put it to W2K.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 06:13:18 am »
So.. i was thinking about installing Fedora on my mame machine, seems linux uses less resources and what not. .and well my mame machine is a bit 'weak' per say..

What nix mame versions are out there? and arnt a pain in the ass to install?

or should i just stick with windows..

Be very careful how you walk into these things.  Linux doesn't "use less resources" just because it is Linux.  It *can* use less resources if it is configured by someone competant.  A full install of Fedora Core will be more bloated and slower than a clean install of WindowsXP, simply because of all the crap that is installed with it.

If you are building a dedicated cabinet, it's best to keep your install to a minimum.  Use a lightweight, customisable window manager such as XFCE4 or Fluxbox, and not a big bloated desktop-centric on lik KDE or GNOME.

Install only what you need.  Don't install the full gamut of desktop applications, themes, mail servers, and all that rubbish.  Start with nothing selected, and pull down the basics: XWindows, XFCE4/Fluxbox, sound tools, and development files (GCC etc) for building MAME and maybe installing Nvidia drivers later on.

I've been using Linux for well over 11 years now, and I hate Fedora.  It's big, fat, slow and bloated.  Distros like Debian give the end user a much better choice of what they can install without all the bloat.  In turn, they sacrifice a little user-friendliness for new users.  Their long-term use however is far more rewarding, as they are much less restricting in their options for users who have the patience to stick with them and learn how to do things the "Linux way".

Whatever you do, be prepared to READ.  Linux is not point-and-click ease of use.  You cannot leave your brain at the door and expect to fumble your way through it like Windows or Mac.  There is plenty of documentation, and you will NEED to read it.  This is not an optional extra like it is in other operating systems.

The trade off for complete customisability is complexity.  That is often overwhelming for some, in which case learning some patience and having a good read of the doco is the first option, with the fallback being returning to the comfort of point-and-click Windows, sans user-choice and customisability.

The most lightweight options available to you are:

1) Console framebuffer and/or SVGALib and AdvanceMAME:

This can have you installed in under 100MB of disk space, and booting from POST screen to frontend in under 20 seconds.  This is how I have my cocktail cab set up, and it works a treat.  The only thing faster would be DOS, but it doesn't support any of my sound nor networking hardware, which isn't good enough for me.  I need to be able to get files to the machine via network, and hear the games I'm playing using my motherboard's onboard sound, and both work out of the box for me in Linux.

This is also the best option for arcade-monitor users, as you can program real arcade modes to your video card this way quite easily.  That in itself is a whole other post.

2) XWindows with custom .xinitrc file:

Expect a bit more space used here.  If you cleaned up after yourself post-install, you could get this down to 300-400MB without too much effort.  Via this method you can use XMAME easily, and if your hardware supports it use OpenGL to do stretching and bilinear filtering via it (also available in plain 2D mode for non-3D-acellerated displays, of course).  This is also the best option for TV users under Linux (which is how my current batch of cabinets I assemble for friends are made).

Disadvantages are that X takes up substantially more RAM than method (1).  Even moreso if you use a Window Manager instead of scripting your own .xinitrc file.

Via either method it is easy to script your system to shut down once your frontend closes, or do any sort of tricks you can think of, without being limited by the OS.

There's another excellent Linux thread around here somewhere... I'm sure someone has already linked to it, or will do.  Remeber that Linux is not the silver bullet that will cure all your ills.  It can certainly be much lighter on resources, but as mentioned only if you are intelligent about your setup, and don't go filling your system with bloat.  Linux is only as good as the person using it, but the difference is you have complete control and choice over HOW it works.

My two favourite pages on Linux setups for MAME users are Whammoed's link above, as well as EasyMAMECab:
http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/

I urge anyone playing with Linux to read both of these, and get to grips with the terminology used by Linux.  Remember that Linux IS NOT Windows.  I know that is a pretty obvious statement, but how many times I have been asked "Where is my C: Drive?" and other such questions by new Linux users, I am gobsmacked at how brainwashed the world is to blind Microsoft acceptance.  Understanding that they are different is half the battle to understanding Linux completely.

I've used Linux for 11+ years personally (I have 8 machines at home, and only one of them is Windows now - and that's my girlfriend's), and professionally for over 5.  If you have specific questions about a particular setup, my PM inbox is always open, or post in the Software forum and I'll do my best to sort you out with anything from scripting to config files to compiling your favourite program to using your package manager to install new system software.