Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Williams multicade-inspired Bartop with 17 inch CRT and modular control panels  (Read 20748 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2024, 11:18:21 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
Hello All,

I finally finished my bartop project last weekend.  When I say finished, I mean that I have put away the tools for the moment.  My fiancee still thinks it's the ugliest thing she's ever seen ;D.  Here's a pic:

Update May 16, 2006:  I have written two freelance Retroblast! articles about aspects of this project.  Someone viewing this project thread may find them useful:

49-way setup: http://www.retroblast.com/reviews/49-way.html

BYO Hillbilly Spinner: http://www.retroblast.com/articles/hillbilly-04262006-01.php

Feel free to comment on these articles in this thread.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:53:09 am by KenToad »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: Gargantuan Multi-Williams Inspired Bartop W/Dual Rotary 49-Ways
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 01:00:38 pm »
And another pic of the other side before it was "finished."

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 01:05:24 pm »
Here's a shot of the wiring.  I used way more wire on this project than I ever would have guessed a 20 inch wide panel would require.  Also, note the parrallel port interfaces that make this panel modular.  That was a lot of extra time, but it's worth it and works perfectly.  Soon, I will make a fighter panel with super joysticks and then a dual spinner panel for some Pong action.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 01:16:45 pm »
Here is the CP Artwork.  I downloaded all the artwork from the AAL and modified it slightly with Photoshop.  Thanks to the original artists who inspired me so much. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 01:18:43 pm by KenToad »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 02:08:51 pm »
Some specs for anyone interested:  17" Dell branded Monitor that I have not decased, but was perfect for $20 from the ONLY local thrift store.  That is a very good price for monitors around here.  I tested it first in the store using my laptop.  Some people walked over thinking my laptop was for sale.  Gotta watch yourself in thrift stores.  Here are the dimensions:  22" wide x 32" tall at the peak x 28" deep.  A 19" monitor would fit in every way except the depth.  Maybe if I decased it ... Anyway, it's too much of an additional investment for this box and for me right now.    Otherwise, the 49-Ways with RandyT's interfaces and Floyd's rotary adaptors are still in the testing phase.  I still need to hook up a dedicated computer with this thing.  Anything but a very large computer case can easily fit in the space behind the marquee.  I also would like to get some nicer prints of the jousters for the sides.  Right now, each one is three 11x17 sheets of paper covered with clear contact paper, kind of ghetto for a project like this, but better than the $50 or more dollars it would cost to get these things printed professionally. 

My biggest surprise so far with the 49-Way joysticks:  Spy Hunter works well in raw or progressive 49-way mode.  I still would love to have the original super awesome steering wheel and some pedals with a shifter, but these analog joysticks make it playable for me.  Who woulda thunk?

I will post more impressions as I playtest more.

Cheers,
KenToad

clonestar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2009, 04:00:53 pm
  • Thunderbirds are puppets!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 02:54:37 pm »
What ever your fiance says this is truly a thing of beauty

Veinman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2014, 02:40:27 pm
  • "Done" with The Legend of Mame
    • The Gelatinous Cube
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 03:14:40 pm »
Awesome. 8)

walls83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2017, 02:58:45 pm
  • beer is good
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 03:23:52 pm »
that is very nice.

One question.  What are the 2 white lines above and below the marquee

nm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 04:29:04 pm by walls83 »
"A true warrior enters the arena with all his powers at the ready." ~ Gouki

flampoo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2014, 11:41:07 am
  • BYObsession
    • flampoo
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 04:24:08 pm »
Some of my favorite cabs were the ones with tons of art. Kangaroo, Popeye, Donkey Kong, Carnival, etc. That is a lot of good artwork. And because it's all Williams it looks even better.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 05:09:21 pm »
Sweet, thanks to you all for the compliments.  I knew I needed some positive feedback in my life .... j/k my male friends and even a couple of the female friends have been impressed.  Here is the insert coin sticker I used on the bottom administration panel.  I modified another design using Adobe InDesign.  I forget the font:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 05:28:02 pm »
Here's another pic showing what I thought at first was poor planning on my part:

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 05:37:27 pm »
But to address the modular capability of this CP, I found that the gap was perfect for removing the CP, although there is a space underneath if need be.  Here is a pic of my last minute decision--to use elevator bolts instead of clamps to hold the CP in place.  The bolts kind of remind me of Frankenstein's head, which seems fitting for this hodgepodge of original arcade designs.  I considered going with tee nuts as well to really hold the bolts in place, but I scrapped that idea when I saw how firmly the bolts hold the CP in place, which is admittedly a tight fit.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 05:44:42 pm »
And here is the CP pulled back.  I haven't taken this thing off for a couple of days and it was stiff--could be the humidity or maybe the paint is still drying.  Anyway, I haven't yet mounted the GP-Wiz49 interfaces.  Also, I don't think I'm going to secure the monitor.  It doesn't move on the shelf, even when my friend and I played through to the end of Heavy Barrel last night.  I just a 2x4 above it to keep it from rocking side to side.  I think I'll want to remove the monitor whenever I pick up this beast.  It's heavy enough and so bulky that even my long arms can't get a really nice hold on it. 

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 07:48:51 pm »
Awesome, AWESOME job. Women don't "get" Williams games, don't sweat it.
My wife looks at me like I'm insane while I'm screaming vulgarities at Defender or Robotron.

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 08:30:29 pm »
COOL!  ;D

So what was the final verdict on the 49-way stick thing from randyT? I was following that thread, but it go so out of control I got lost. Did they ever figure out how to play 720 and how do you set it up to play rotary games? I'm thinking of using these instead of my Happ's Optical rotary sticks.

I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 08:37:04 pm »
Dude, that's awesome.  I don't mean this weird, but I'm very proud of you!  That's truly a great machine.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 09:13:42 pm »
Dude, that's awesome.  I don't mean this weird, but I'm very proud of you!  That's truly a great machine.

Not weird at all, that makes me proud, Mark.  I've admired your work for a while now. 

Cheers,
KenToad

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 09:27:43 pm »
COOL!  ;D

So what was the final verdict on the 49-way stick thing from randyT? I was following that thread, but it go so out of control I got lost. Did they ever figure out how to play 720 and how do you set it up to play rotary games? I'm thinking of using these instead of my Happ's Optical rotary sticks.

I've never played with optical rotary sticks, at least not since I played Cal. 50 in the arcade many years ago.  I don't know if I would ditch those things just yet.  The rotary emulation in Mame seems imperfect, IMO, since it doesn't officially support one button=one turn in those games just yet.  I have yet to fully test this implementation in Analog Mame, but initial testing also seemed imperfect.  It's possible your optical joys may give more consistent results in Mame, since that is how the official build is set up to receive inputs for the rotary games.  Also, Cal. 50 is a fun game and you can probably use those optical rotaries for other spinner games like Off the Wall and Puzz Loop. 

Otherwise, the final verdict is still out for the list of fully compatible games with the 49-Way joysticks with RandyT's encoder.  One thing that has bugged me a little so far has been the sticks slow return to center.  RandyT and others say that this will get better with use, as the rubber grommets will break in.  I can't say, but I did play Atomic Bomberman, the PC game with these sticks in 4 way mode and really noticed that your bombdude will continue to walk if the stick doesn't return to center with a decent spring.  This led to a lot of mishaps in a game where every twitch counts.  I also don't like these sticks for fighters, too squishy, which, again, could change with use.  Luckily, as you would imagine, RandyT's encoders will work with microswitch joysticks perfectly, since each joystick just needs four microswitches to function. 

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more info.

Cheers,
KenToad   

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 09:40:12 pm »
Oh, about 720, Magnet_Eye, I think the verdict was no.  These sticks don't feel like 720 sticks at all and I don't think the 16-way mode ever really panned out to anything .... yet.

Cheers,
KenToad

The 80s Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2019, 03:20:56 pm
  • I'm working on a Crystal Castles MAME Cab
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 10:33:24 pm »
I've been watching and reading the BYOAC Forums for months from the sidelines.
But this Bartop project has made me log on just to say...Holy $h!t that is one super Bad @$$ bartop, by far the best I have ever seen. very nice work. So nice I must shed a tear of envy :'(

The only thing I might suggest is on of these just for fun
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.nightingale1/arcades/coinboxmainpage.htm

Over Four Years and I'm still under 150 Posts (Date Registered:  January 27, 2005, 10:17:25 PM )

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 11:01:14 pm »
Very nice!  ;D  I want one!

Any plans or dimensions?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 11:19:34 pm »
I've been watching and reading the BYOAC Forums for months from the sidelines.
But this Bartop project has made me log on just to say...Holy $h!t that is one super Bad @$$ bartop, by far the best I have ever seen. very nice work. So nice I must shed a tear of envy :'(

The only thing I might suggest is on of these just for fun
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.nightingale1/arcades/coinboxmainpage.htm

Now that's praise!  Thanks a million.  It makes me look at the box and wonder how the woman could be so cruel ;).  I guess she'll learn to accept it like the homebrewing hobby that she initially rejected because she was afraid it would usurp most of the space in our place. 

That's funny that you would mention coin mechs.  It's the one thing that I knew I'd miss by building a legless arcade box.  I had wondered if there were any really small coin acceptors or any cool ways to get a slot that just simply triggers a switch.  I came to the conclusion that a coin activated switch just wasn't in the cards.  The coins would just roll out from under the cab anyway--or I'd have to keep a little bowl under there.  I checked out the page you linked, pretty slow loading on this dialup connection.  In fact, it's loading just as I type this.  Thanks for the link.  That might be cool for my standalone CP, but I'm pretty sure I want to keep this project as-is, although I may get around to storing a few extra usb controllers for Bomberman ... when I get the dedicated computer set up, that is.

Cheers,
KenToad

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 11:28:57 pm »
Very nice!  ;D  I want one!

Any plans or dimensions?

Thanks.  The basic dimensions are in the earlier post, the first one without a picture.  I'm not a woodworker, so I probably couldn't provide workable plans.  Also, it's really just a couple of pieces of MDF cut in a resized Joust cab shape with two 2x6's and two 2x4's as cross-members. 

As for the shape of the sides, I took an ebay straight-on side photo of a joust box and photoshopped it.  These two images should illustrate what I mean.  I just resized the second image to the size of the box and cut it into letter size pieces that I could tape together and use for my cutting template with my jigsaw.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
KenToad 

Timoe

• Offline Offline
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 12:45:08 am »
What holds the plexi & bezel in place?

Also, what does the back look like?  Any special needs for venting etc?

That should be enough questions for now.  ;D  I have to build one of these.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 01:37:40 am »

Also, what does the back look like? Any special needs for venting etc?

That should be enough questions for now. ;D I have to build one of these.

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone would see that the plexi rests on the rear pinball buttons.  Look at the pic where the CP is pulled away from the box.  You should be able to see what I mean.  Also, there is a 2x4 above the monitor that also serves to hold the plexi in place.  Both of those were last minute decisions.  I try to make building as simple as possible. 

Cheers,
KenToad

zorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2022, 09:00:38 am
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 04:10:09 am »
really sweet, I love it.
I'm on the planning stage

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2024, 02:55:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2005, 09:25:05 am »
Your Woman is WAAAYYYY off base, that cab is tight.  My question is, where is the the inviso button for Stargate??

Rodney

jcroach

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2012, 09:36:56 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2005, 09:44:16 am »
Sweet, thanks to you all for the compliments.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2005, 09:48:34 am »
Your Woman is WAAAYYYY off base, that cab is tight.  My question is, where is the the inviso button for Stargate??

Rodney

I decided to let the Inviso button go.  It just seemed too cluttered with that extra button and, since Stargate was never in my arcade and truly I have never even seen that machine in person, I decided that I can use the Player 1 "Flap" button for Inviso if I ever decide I need it. 

Thanks again for the compliments, guys.  My first project, a standalone CP, looks like a dumpy piece of crap next to this box.  I still enjoy the functionality of both devices, but I guess I've learned a lot, especially from you guys and others on these boards, about how to put together building materials. 

Next project is a desk that doesn't wobble and that is 36" wide so that I can clamp my standalone CP to the sides--or maybe I could install some T-nuts in the current crappy desk, sure the woman wouldn't notice.

I like this solution. It gets the coin button off the control panel and places it where you would expect a coin slot, without actually accing a coin slot. I plan on doing the same thing for my cab. I bought some rectangular lit buttons for just that purpose.

Nice machine!!

Rectangular lit buttons, now that's a good idea!  Now then, if only I had unlimited cash. ;)  Thanks.

Cheers,
KenToad 

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2005, 09:53:41 am »
could someone explain how a bartop is gargantuan?   ???

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2005, 10:07:22 am »
could someone explain how a bartop is gargantuan? ???

I guess I just meant size and you know impressive subject and all that ;).

Cheers,
KenToad

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2005, 12:39:52 pm »
could someone explain how a bartop is gargantuan?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2005, 01:07:28 pm »
Right.  BTW, we can smell that gargantuan from here.  Stop soiling yourself.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2005, 01:12:10 pm »
could someone explain how a bartop is gargantuan?   ???

His bartop is gargantuan the same way there is something gargatuan in my pants - it's relative to the size of other similar objects.

Right.  Is mine the biggest? ;D

Cheers,
KenToad

Dire Radiant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2011, 03:11:36 am
  • Cor, chief!
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2005, 08:39:42 am »
Nah, he just meant he has a really big wallet!

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2005, 09:10:51 am »

Also, what does the back look like? Any special needs for venting etc?

That should be enough questions for now. ;D I have to build one of these.

Oh, I made a pretty half-assed diagram of how this thing is put together.  It is screwed and glued.  Also, I glued dowel inserts into the top sheet of MDF.  The back and top are open fot the moment.  I also just realized that the top is not really all that big for a computer box and speakers.  There's a University auction this weekend and hopefully I will get a sweet deal on a decent computer.   

Timoe

• Offline Offline
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2005, 11:49:36 pm »
Kentoad, how did you get that nice rounded edge on the front of the control panel?  What is the radius?  like 3/4"  Did you use a router?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2005, 03:03:03 pm »
Kentoad, how did you get that nice rounded edge on the front of the control panel? What is the radius? like 3/4" Did you use a router?

Hey Timoe,

That rounded edge is actually 3/4 inch quarter round, the kind that carpenters use for trimming baseboards.  It says it's 3/4 inch, but really it's about 1/2 inch.  Since I had 3/4 inch MDF, there would have been a gap where the two pieces of MDF met, because the quarter round would not have fit into the space created by the two pieces of MDF, if you can visualize that.  I find it kind of hard to describe.

What I did to remedy the problem was to sand the edge of one of the pieces of MDF down to the width of the quarter round.  It's much easier to visualize if you have all the pieces in your hands and can just dry fit them to see what I mean. 

After sanding, I used brass corner braces to hold the pieces all together while the glue dried.  I left on the braces because they probably add strength.  I'm not really very much of a carpenter, but this made a tight fit that seems like it will last. 

I'm going to make the first of my modular panels soon and will post some pictures showing what I mean.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
KenToad   

Timoe

• Offline Offline
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2005, 05:00:19 pm »
Thank you.  I dont know why I didnt think about that.  I just finished installing new baseboards in my new house.  I have the quarter round of which you speak.

Then its just wood putty and sanding, I guess.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2005, 12:15:59 pm »
Thank you.  I dont know why I didnt think about that.  I just finished installing new baseboards in my new house.  I have the quarter round of which you speak.

Then its just wood putty and sanding, I guess.

Funny enough, I didn't think of it, either.  I can't remember where I read about someone doing that.  Sometimes it's just really hard to get creative and stay practical at the same time. 

Good luck with your project. 

Cheers,
KenToad