Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Some lightgun questions....  (Read 1505 times)

tshizzle.com

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2005, 01:38:05 pm
  • I'm a llama!
    • tshizzle.com
Some lightgun questions....
« on: October 24, 2004, 11:13:30 pm »
SO I got the Act-Labs S-Video TV gun.  Hooked it up, XP sees it, no problems.  Says to calibrate I just turn it to calibrate mode, move gun right to left, then up to down accross screen, shoot, Bam done.  

Load up Jurassic Park, OMG Im shooting dinosaurs!  Great!

BUT.........

1) The aiming cursor only moves when you shoot an area.  It doesnt move accross the screen all the time.  Makes it very hard to aim at things and you're basically taking an aiming shot, then a real shot.  Is that just how MAME and Lightguns work?  Or am I missing something config wise??

2) I cant seem to shoot the left side of the screen about 1" in.  No matter how many times I try to calibrate it , I can shoot from about 1" in all the way to the right no problem, and if I shoot the very edge of the right, it overlaps and shoots that left 1".  Any suggestions?

3) Before I waste time downloading some CHD shooters (area 51, time crisis, others I tried that didnt run I assume are missing the CHD) , do any of them run good?  T2?  

ften

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 10:20:43 pm
  • Beep Beep
    • Fathertom.net
Re:Some lightgun questions....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 12:02:16 am »

SO I got the Act-Labs S-Video TV gun.  Hooked it up, XP sees it, no problems.  Says to calibrate I just turn it to calibrate mode, move gun right to left, then up to down accross screen, shoot, Bam done.  

Load up Jurassic Park, OMG Im shooting dinosaurs!  Great!

BUT.........

1) The aiming cursor only moves when you shoot an area.  It doesnt move accross the screen all the time.  Makes it very hard to aim at things and you're basically taking an aiming shot, then a real shot.  Is that just how MAME and Lightguns work?  Or am I missing something config wise??

2) I cant seem to shoot the left side of the screen about 1" in.  No matter how many times I try to calibrate it , I can shoot from about 1" in all the way to the right no problem, and if I shoot the very edge of the right, it overlaps and shoots that left 1".  Any suggestions?

3) Before I waste time downloading some CHD shooters (area 51, time crisis, others I tried that didnt run I assume are missing the CHD) , do any of them run good?  T2?  

I'm pretty sure the mouse pointer will alway stay stationary until you fire. I don't believe there is any feedback between the gun and the computer until you pull the trigger.  
    The only problems I had with shooting near the edge of the screen is sometimes it doesn't seem to register the shot properly.
    CHD games in general always seem to play really slow for me, but I'm only running a 1800+ XP.

-FTen

DaemonCollector

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2009, 07:02:16 pm
  • All your base are belong to us.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 12:52:06 am »
Games with a moving shooting reticle used positional guns that acted as joysticks. The act-labs guns will work great for Area 51 type shooters, where there was no reticle on the screen.

tshizzle.com

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2005, 01:38:05 pm
  • I'm a llama!
    • tshizzle.com
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 01:32:36 pm »
ok got ya - now just gotta figure out why it wont shoot that left 1" of the screen.  Could it be that MAME runs at 640x480 , but the PC desktop is 800x600 ?  But that wouldnt explain the top and bottom being fine....

Area 51 = CHD huh?  need to get on those - thanks

What about T2?

clanggedin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2012, 11:08:55 pm
  • O'DOYLE RULES!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 01:40:11 pm »
T2 works great, but you'll need to diable your lightguns and calibrate with the joysticks. Then the guns will work fine. There is a T2 calibration file somewhere out there that eliminates the need to have to calibrate before playing T2 for the first time.

Revolution X is also good, but with those games you'll have to puill the trigger alot to play the game.