Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 'Willis' CPO Artwork scans for vectorising!?!  (Read 3864 times)

spriggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
'Willis' CPO Artwork scans for vectorising!?!
« on: August 04, 2004, 07:10:15 pm »
Troops,

I don't know about yourselves, but some of the old 'Willis' original design CPO's are lovely. eg 'Jungle Hunt', 'Bubbles', 'Elevator Action', 'Moon Patrol' to name a few.

Would be great to see some high resolution scans/pics made available for vectorising!?

It would be ANOTHER! nice little project to have on the side, vectorising these classics ( if I may use that word for these cpo's!).

As I'm replicating some of the classic cabs at home, it would be great to have some of these 'Willis' cpo's on replicas or restored originals for something different.  

---steaming pile of meadow muffin---...that would mean..... I'd be replicating a classic RESTORED cabinet...wouldn't it!!!    :)

If we get enough of them, 'Mahuti' may be willing to have a 'Willis' CPO sub-folder at the 'Arcade Art Library'!?  Nice!

I'll put my hand up in the vectorising department, if some scans become available.

Game On!

*Update*  Looks like I got my hands on a NOS 'Willis' Jungle Hunt CPO.  Hopefully this is the start of things.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 07:13:12 pm by spriggy »
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
Re:'Willis' CPO Artwork scans for vectorising!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 07:28:50 pm »
Whatchoo talkin about.....
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 08:41:03 pm »
Whatchoo talkin about.....

Nannuu, I am surmising that you are querying who 'Willis' was? (or querying WHY I would want to vectorise 'Wilis' CPO's? or making a humorous 'Different Strokes' reference :) )

'Willis' was a manufacturer of reproduction CPO's during the 80's (I think they started around 1982.)

In almost all cases, they didn't obtain the license rights to reproduce the original artwork, so they designed their own 'original' control panel overlays.  

Actually, I might have started a little slingfest here.  I must admit, some of their designs are not the most asthetically pleasing, however some are very good (in my eyes anyway).  I know that many collectors do not like them at all!!

However, 'Willis' appears to be one the first arcade restoration artwork suppliers and hence has history during these classic times.... albeit.. an 'ugly' history in some collectors eyes.  Each to their own.

Here are a few pics of some 'Willis' stuff and you make your own opinions of their work!

Game On!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 08:43:21 pm by spriggy »
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 08:49:27 pm »
This is a pic of what my NOS 'Willis' Jungle Hunt CPO I got my hands on will look like.  Very errie.

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 01:50:15 am »
LOL!!  Now that is funny.  It was supposed to reference Gary Coleman's famous catch phrase "What chu talkin about Willis"  from the Different Strokes.  At least you knew about the show.

Sure nothing wrong with vectorizing more for the hobby!  Not everyone here is a hardcore collector.
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 04:06:24 am »
LOL!!  Now that is funny.  It was supposed to reference Gary Coleman's famous catch phrase "What chu talkin about Willis"  from the Different Strokes.  At least you knew about the show.

Sure nothing wrong with vectorizing more for the hobby!  Not everyone here is a hardcore collector.

I gathered so!!  God Bless Sarcasm!   ;D

zorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2022, 09:00:38 am
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 05:00:46 am »
In my opinion, the  more we can acces scans/high-res image, the better it is.

I will trace willis, as I will trace original art. I'm not partial :).
the only thing I need is to find the stuff nice enough (regarding my own taste) and to have acces to a good enough material.

I'm voting yes for this project.
I'm on the planning stage

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 03:43:52 pm »
I've always found their Galaga and some other CPOs quite cheap/ugly, but I must admit that Jungle hunt CPO is quite elegant. (Im not sure if that black and orange motif really goes with the rest of the cabinet though???)

NO MORE!!

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 07:59:15 pm »
I have Willis Defender (installed on machine), Willis Asteroids NOS with the black area cut off (kinda plain and dumb), and Willis Q*Bert (I like this one).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

filenabber

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2004, 11:11:48 pm
  • I brake 4 dots and ghosts
    • The Broken Joystick
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 09:38:38 pm »
I have NOS Willis Pac-Man cocktail CPOs (both players) and a NOS Willis Pac UR CPO I can scan in. In fact....teh cocktail pac CPOs are sitting in my scanner right now :)

I'll post them soon.

Brian

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 10:43:10 pm »
Damn..that was quick.

Thanks for the effort.  Email me when they're ready.  I'll grab one set for vectorising.  I'm in the middle of the Donkey Kong Jr CPO, but that can wait.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 04:36:37 am by spriggy »

rotheblog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 10:27:39 pm
    • Rotheblog Arcade
Re: 'Willis' CPO Artwork scans for vectorising!?!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 01:37:03 am »
I know this is a super old topic, but was doing Willis CPO research tonight....

Spriggy, two of these guys provided options to you of what they have, but what piece of artwork would you want to start with to vectorize?

Take a look at this gallery of Willis Arcade Artwork. If you've met Chris, this is his collection.  I am sure we can get a scan as needed if you are still interested from 6+ years ago ;)
Rotheblog.com - Classic arcade games blog

CoinOpSpace.com - A social network for collecting arcade games, a friendly community, and a focus on easy content sharing.

I partner with This Old Game to vectorize your arcade artwork.

No PM's. Email at rothecreations@gmail.c