Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help! Happ trackball stopped moving from left to right  (Read 596 times)

MovingTarget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help! Happ trackball stopped moving from left to right
« on: December 12, 2023, 06:24:22 pm »
I built my cabinet about 17 years ago.  I got the HAPP USB trackball that also has the PS2 adapter.  I've only ever used the USB connection.  It has worked fine, although I haven't used it in many months.  I tried today and it only goes up and down.

I tried the PS2 connection and it doesn't seem to work.  I tried it with my laptop and it has the same issue.  So I'm guessing the issue is with the trackball itself and not a software setting. 

I was going to remove it but that will require me to fully take out all the buttons on the control panel and I would need to spend serious time labeling everything first.

Is there anything I could try or do I need to track down a replacement?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:21 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Help! Happ trackball stopped moving from left to right
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 09:50:09 pm »
probably faulty "TRACKBALL, USB & PS/2 PCB SATELLITE PCB"
Part # 55-0302-00

it handles the movement for the X axis...where the other board with all the wires and connectors going to the computer handles the Y axis

MovingTarget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Help! Happ trackball stopped moving from left to right
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am »
UPDATE - so I was wrong and was able to remove the Trackball without disassembling the entire panel.

I opened up the Trackball and there is a board that handles the X axis movements, found a place that sold those boards, only about $24 versus buying a new trackball unit.  It was an easy swap and now all works well.  This is the part in hopes this post helps someone in the future:

https://www.gameroomguys.com/PCB-for-USB-PS-2-Trackball-Single-Connector