Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dedicated 4-way joystick: Wico repro or Dominux8?  (Read 1166 times)

OTT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2023, 08:09:07 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Dedicated 4-way joystick: Wico repro or Dominux8?
« on: October 25, 2023, 02:00:52 pm »
 Hi everyone,

I would like your opinions on which you think is the best 4-way joystick - and why - between the Wico repro (Arcadeshop.com) and the Dominux8 with 4-way restrictor.

Note: about the Wico repro, I know the issue with the grommet with which it is sold, but this should not be considered as a minus in the evaluation because I know that it's possible to purchase at least 2 custom-made grommet that perform excellently.

I am exclusively considering these two joysticks for a series of reasons which I am not going to list in this thread, so I kindly ask you not to suggest other joysticks (like Pac-Pro or Nintendo repro or JLW, etc.).

My panel is 3/4" wood, so I'm also wondering if it makes sense to opt for the 3.5" version in case I choose Wico or the short configuration in case I choose Dominux8, since the 4-way joysticks back in the days usually sat lower than 8-way ones. Obviously, if this does not compromise their usability.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

P.S.: I forgot to say that I need a general-purpose joystick for all games that involve 4-way, so I'm not looking for a specific feeling for a specific game
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 02:02:57 pm by OTT »

lanman31337

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2024, 10:36:50 am
  • set to ludacris speed!
Re: Dedicated 4-way joystick: Wico repro or Dominux8?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 01:47:54 pm »
If you're going dedicated 4 way and those are the choices, I'd go with the Dominux8. Most of the older arcade games had the short joystick with the short throw.

OTT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 02:06:29 pm »
If you're going dedicated 4 way and those are the choices, I'd go with the Dominux8. Most of the older arcade games had the short joystick with the short throw.

Thank you for your feedback! Could you explain to me why you prefer Dominux8? Have you had a chance to try both?

According to the information I have been able to gather so far, the Dominux has a little softer grommet compared to the original Wico, but repro is sold equipped with an horrible grommet (extremely hard) that must be replaced.

There are 2 custom-made grommet currently available, both of which much softer than the original Wico: so, one question I ask myself is whether the Wico repro combined with one of these new grommets is completely comparable to the Dominux (in feel) or the latter is even softer. I'm looking for someone who has had the opportunity to make a comparison, even indirect...

lanman31337

• Offline Offline
  • set to ludacris speed!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 11:50:30 am »
I have tried both and preferred the Dominus8. To me it just felt better. The last machine I did the customer wanted Wico repros and it felt like a really long throw even after adjusting leafs.

OTT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 01:58:00 pm »
I have tried both and preferred the Dominus8. To me it just felt better. The last machine I did the customer wanted Wico repros and it felt like a really long throw even after adjusting leafs.

Thank you for the clarification. Just asking: have you tried the Wiko repro with a soft grommet (the custom-made ones I talked about) or did you keep the grommet with which it was sold to you?

rlml

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 09:52:37 am
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 05:13:01 am »
Many thanks all , i shall try some of this and get back  this is only a single game boot so no front end ,

thanks al

lanman31337

• Offline Offline
  • set to ludacris speed!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 09:33:36 pm »

Thank you for the clarification. Just asking: have you tried the Wiko repro with a soft grommet (the custom-made ones I talked about) or did you keep the grommet with which it was sold to you?

The one that was sold with it. My mindset is something should work out of the box the way I want it, and if it doesn't, I go with another manufacturer. If I do another leaf build I might try the aftermarket grommets, but I shouldn't have to spend more money to get something to work the way I feel it should work.

OTT

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 02:31:56 am »

The one that was sold with it. My mindset is something should work out of the box the way I want it, and if it doesn't, I go with another manufacturer. If I do another leaf build I might try the aftermarket grommets, but I shouldn't have to spend more money to get something to work the way I feel it should work.

Thank you. Yeah, in general I agree with you: a product, especially if new and designed to be a faithful reproduction, must work exactly as the user expects it to work, without the hassle of looking for "solutions" to flaws that shouldn't have been there from the beginning.