Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CD100 Volume goes up and down  (Read 4723 times)

actman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 12:17:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CD100 Volume goes up and down
« on: August 17, 2014, 10:29:11 pm »
I have a CD100-C jukebox. I installed a wireless remote a few months ago. Just lately when I play a song the volume goes up and down on its own. Not real high or low but you can notice it . I removed the wireless board and went back to the manual control behind the box. It seems to work. I tried another wireless board and it caused the same problem. I disconnected the remote receiver in case of interference but it did not fix the issue. Does anyone have any ideas what I can try?

actman

• Offline Offline
Re: CD100 Volume goes up and down
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:17:22 am »
It was suggested to me that it's not the wireless controller board ( which I pretty much ruled out)
It has to be the harness not making a common connection. I will rewire the two wires that go from the wireless board to the amp.

jdemarti

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2022, 10:57:25 am
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:08:43 pm »
 You are correct, the harness is not making a good common connection. I had the same exact problem with my jukebox

actman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:18:13 pm »
Thanks for letting me know! I will try replacing it this weekend.

actman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 01:58:53 pm »
No luck I need help on this one. I made a new harness and still have the volume problem!
I put the manual Pot back and it works fine.if I remove either wire that connects to the terminal strip it causes volume to flex. I'm at a loss. Replaced wiress remote board again and it does the same !!
Any ideas I can try????

actman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:04:26 pm »
Resolved I hope!!!  I found out I had the two wires mixed up when I connected them to the amp.
Once I switched them it worked! So it was bad harness and my install that had me puzzled.
So far it ran alll day flawless !!!

actman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 03:45:40 pm »
After a month of it working perfect ..its back again!!! The volume when I play any CD is going up and down. Again I connected the rear manual volume control and it works fine. Reconnecting the wireless board and the volume is back up and down. As mentioned I have another wireless board and it does the same thing. I already made up a new harness to the volume connections. I have the guy I bought the jukebox from coming over to investigate this week. The two wires that connect the wireless board go to different locations then the two wires that connect the volume control at the back of the jukebox. So it may make sense there is something wrong from that point onward. If anyone has any other thoughts on this let me know.

actman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 11:12:35 pm »
Thought I better update what happened! The guy came over played around by changing out the harness and still no luck. Then he pushed in on the harness that connects at the mechanism control unit and it started to work. The music stabilized !!!!! I had already did that previous with all the connections with no luck! Sixth bucks later and after driving it back to wear I use it, it's still working. But I don't trust the fix at all. I did find a post of someone that had the exact problem. They swapped out the Amp and it fixed it. They then replaced the pre amp and that worked. So if this problem returns I may try the pre amp fix.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 12:53:37 pm »
Things you should do to the amplifier:

1: Recap the preamp board.

2: Recap the two driver boards (remove one board at a time so you don't mix them up).

3: Inspect all the boards for bad solder joints. In particular at all connector header pins.

Rowe_Rookie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2015, 04:14:50 pm
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 03:42:56 pm »
Hi Actman,

I've had this exact problem you're describing on both jukeboxes I attempted to install the Wireless IR Control kit.  After a little research I found that Rowe did release an IR Remote Ground Adapter that resolved this issue (kit #21963901). 

The description on the installation instructions:

"When using the infrared remote control on a CD phonograph, an additional ground wire may need to be added to avoid volume fluctuations."

I purchased this adapter, but it's pretty easy to make at home.  Basically you run a wire from pin 6 on P3 on the IR Remote Interface to the "common" terminal on the output transformer assembly.

If you want give me your email and I can send you a PDF of the instructions.  Hope that resolves your issue.

actman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 11:55:35 am »
Hi Actman,

I've had this exact problem you're describing on both jukeboxes I attempted to install the Wireless IR Control kit.  After a little research I found that Rowe did release an IR Remote Ground Adapter that resolved this issue (kit #21963901). 

The description on the installation instructions:

"When using the infrared remote control on a CD phonograph, an additional ground wire may need to be added to avoid volume fluctuations."

I purchased this adapter, but it's pretty easy to make at home.  Basically you run a wire from pin 6 on P3 on the IR Remote Interface to the "common" terminal on the output transformer assembly.

If you want give me your email and I can send you a PDF of the instructions.  Hope that resolves your issue.

Thanks The kit I bought came with the updated ground wire but it did not make a difference connected or not. So far its still working fine.

sim_v

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2020, 04:56:40 pm
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 09:00:18 pm »
(I'm french, please excuse my english)

Hi, I just get a cd-51 that have the same problem. I will try adding ground to infrared computer and tell you if I hear a difference...

sim_v

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2020, 04:56:40 pm
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 02:35:43 am »
Volume variations during play fixed on cd-51 !