Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: XBOX Controller Connector Pinout  (Read 23000 times)

jammin0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
XBOX Controller Connector Pinout
« on: November 23, 2013, 01:44:32 pm »
Ok, admittedly I could probably find this out myself but I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable has a quick answer for me.  I just got done making a couple of adapter cables for my new KADEs that I got.  I was testing them out afterwards for any shorts and I get a different pin configuration on the two of them.  I think I know which one is correct because one of them was a 3rd party breakaway cable that I used and it had 6 wires and the colors were weird.  Anyway, from the top front of an original xbox breakaway connector, does anyone know which one of these is correct?  I want to be absolutely sure which one it is before I connect it up.

jammin0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
Re: XBOX Controller Connector Pinout
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 02:31:33 pm »
OK, I stopped being lazy and took apart a legit controller and can confirm that the one on the left is good.  I'm scrapping the third party breakaway for use later if I need it and using an original xbox branded connector.  The wires were better with more shielding anyway.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:03:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:22:59 pm »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:22:22 pm »
Just a small warning if you choose to use classic xbox controllers. 

Most of the drivers available for windows requires these controllers to be actively polled.  This is NOT how most modern controllers behave!  Typically modern controllers report when there is a change in the inputs, and send it to an application.  Long story short you might run into issues with various software. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:03:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:21:14 pm »
i believe at one time there was an update for XBCD to fix this issue because they changed they way the OS handled the input from gamepads. removed "directinput" moved to "xinput"...bla bla bla whatever.

an xbox 360 controller is plug and play (from what i've heard)

I bought a logitech gamepad at the thrift store for 4.99 or something like that. works just as good as any other.  :dunno