Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: nonworking mame roms question  (Read 3018 times)

ts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2016, 03:01:29 pm
  • I'm a llama!
nonworking mame roms question
« on: November 23, 2003, 06:47:33 am »
Is there a reason that many of my roms do seem to run.  Does that mean in this release of mame they were removed or do not work.  For example none of my asteroid roms work.  I load them and the screen stays blank and no game ever comes up.  also in arch rivals, I  can hear some sound effects but again no screen.  In others say jungle hunt the screen comes up but it is shaky and jumping arouns.  Any chance this could be caused by an error in copying my roms from the disc to my  hard drive.  SHould I try to copy them again.  Is there a rom checker utility that can verify if they should be working or a repair utility.  In the menu it says picture good, sound good regarding the status but it doesn't seem to run for me??  Any ideas

ts

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Re:nonworking mame roms question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 08:21:23 pm »
if they are nonworking roms is there a way in Mamewah to "hide nonworking roms"?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2022, 06:47:10 pm
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 08:28:19 pm »
There is a ROM checker - ClrMAME

http://www.clrmame.com

I don't know why you're having those issues, though.  Strange.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 10:34:49 pm »
...For example none of my asteroid roms work.  I load them and the screen stays blank and no game ever comes up.  also in arch rivals, I  can hear some sound effects but again no screen.  In others say jungle hunt the screen comes up but it is shaky and jumping arouns....

Sounds like your monitor can't do the resolutions mame is trying to run the games at.  One thing to check if this is the prob is find what resolution & refresh you run windows (assuming you're running windows), and set mame to run at those settings.

BTW, if mame starts, the ROMs for that game most likely are good.  Use clrmame anyway.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

ts

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 09:15:38 pm »
...For example none of my asteroid roms work.  I load them and the screen stays blank and no game ever comes up.  also in arch rivals, I  can hear some sound effects but again no screen.  In others say jungle hunt the screen comes up but it is shaky and jumping arouns....

Sounds like your monitor can't do the resolutions mame is trying to run the games at.  One thing to check if this is the prob is find what resolution & refresh you run windows (assuming you're running windows), and set mame to run at those settings.

BTW, if mame starts, the ROMs for that game most likely are good.  Use clrmame anyway.

well i set my resolution in mame.ini to 1024 x 768 and that fixed them.  thank you everyone for the help.  if i had built this cabinet all this time and then couldnt get old school asteroids to work i might have had to light this cabinet on fire in the front yard.  ha ha ha
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 09:52:02 pm by ts »