Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: acrylic solvent  (Read 1618 times)

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
acrylic solvent
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:02:15 am »
I tried to articulate this to the Taps girl but I don't think my question came across well on the phone.

I know the usual means of welding acrylics is water thin solvents. Slightly thicker solvents to fill in gaps. However..... is it feasable to "build up" the acrylic joint with much thicker solvents? Literally like bondo or JB Weld type of thing?

My goal is to "fix" LEDs in acrylic by encapsulating it in a small lump of acrylic. The placement would just happen to be along an acrylic join. I don't want to melt the LED or turn the acrylic sheet into a blob. Just encapsulate the LED.

Would feeding chips of acrylic into the water thin solvent thicken it enough into a JB Weld-like constency? Can I precisely place the thickened mixture with a syringe?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:16:01 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: acrylic solvent
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:47:02 pm »
The answer to this is "maybe", but I doubt the end result would be very appealing. 

I would make the joint as any other, and then set up a jig to drill the holes for the LEDs where you want them to be.  A good acrylic joint is pretty much as strong as the material, so this should be a viable approach.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: acrylic solvent
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:07:29 pm »
Yeah I saw the same technique on a couple of case modders forums to great affect. I'm not quite sure how successful that would be.  The LED I have is the awfully small SMT type. All the mods I saw used PTH LED.

After reading my post again I realized I made a typo. The LEDs are going to run alongside the joint, not along, as in not inside the actual joint.

I'll see if I can get a chance to fire up sketchup for a illustration.