Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control panel button Layout ?  (Read 36778 times)

Terr1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2016, 04:06:57 pm
  • Building my first cabinet
Control panel button Layout ?
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:04:30 am »
Hey

I'm trying to create a 2 player MAME prototype control panel, before I try to do the real deal. I want 6 buttons per player.

I have a 60 cm (23.622 inches) in length and 25 cm (9.84252 inches) in height MDF wood panel, so I guess that leaves 30cm (11.811 inches) per player.

I have been directed to this button layout page before:
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

I really don't know which layout type I should go for, I was looking at something like this:
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout/sega2_m.png

But maybee a bit more spacing between the joystick and buttons will be nice?
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout/hybrid36_m.png

I want something that curves a bit, so it's more ergonomic to the human hand.

1. Do anyone have any tips regarding which layout to start with? Whats the most used standard layout?
2. When drilling the button holes, the best method is printing out the layout and mark the drilling points using a pencil through the paper?
3. When I found a layout, any tips on where to place the layout on the panel? Here I mean heightwise, if there is any standard, or should you just pick whatever height lets your hand rest on the panel?

The easiest is printing out a diagram and just make drill holes into the paper layout?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:11:36 am by Terr1 »

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Re: Control panel button Layout ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:01:11 am »
Best thing to do is grab a piece of cardboard and do a layout that way first.  For spacing, just markup where your hands naturally rest gripping the joystick and buttons.

Regarding ergonomics, I've found only the first row of buttons needs to be slightly lower.  Rows two and three should be the same height.  Reason is that when your hand is resting on buttons, the fingers actually rest in a mostly straight line.  Usually the index finger is a little lowr, but the second and third finger end up being the same height.  Try it with a piece of paper.

As far as drilling, you have it right.  Just print out the layout, tape it in place, use something sharp to mark the centers of the buttons/joystick, then drill it out.

For height on the panel itself, I find leaving at least 4 inches of space from the lowest button to the bottom of the panel is adequate.

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:05:04 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:39:44 am by Louis Tully »

Terr1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:12:12 am »
Thanks alot for your responses.. Means alot to find good forums where you don't get flamed for asking newbie questions.

I think I will go for the SEGA2 Layout, already have this on a cartboard layout, and I like it.

I will add about 4 inches, it seems like decent support.

Thanks again :)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:50:50 am »
I have the curved layout on my cabinet and really wish I could get the standard streetfighter layout without messing up a really expensive panel.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Terr1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:27:43 pm »
Just a side question..

I got Zippy joysticks like these:
http://www.ozstick.com.au/img/js02_top.jpg

Will I be able to blind mount them from underneath on a 16mm MDF woodpanel?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:55:57 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 01:00:10 pm »
Just a side question..

I got Zippy joysticks like these:
http://www.ozstick.com.au/img/js02_top.jpg

Will I be able to blind mount them from underneath on a 16mm MDF woodpanel?
From Ozstick website:
"In addition, these have a longer shaft that the JS01 which makes them preferable to use in a thick timber panel."

JS02's are the long shaft zippyys, they will work fine in a 16mm panel.

From Ozstick website:
"For mounting joysticks into a timber panel, we prefer the 'blind mounting' method which involves screwing the mounting plate of the joystick to the underside of the control panel. This leaves the top of your control panel 'clean' and it means your hand can rest on the panel without it rubbing across bolt heads. We use 6g 12mm Pan Head screws for this task.

For metal panels, or timber panels thinner than 12mm, we recommend using our Joystick Mounting Bolts which appear further down this page"

You'll be able to blind mount inserts like these in 16mm with no problem. (Didn't see the similar product on the Ozstick site.   :dunno)

Scott

Terr1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 01:25:39 pm »
Ah ok.

That site was just random, to show the pics. I'm not from australia hehe.. Ill try to find a kit like this in an EU shop. thanks :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 01:47:15 pm »
Ah ok.

That site was just random, to show the pics. I'm not from australia hehe.. Ill try to find a kit like this in an EU shop. thanks :)

Hold on, then.  If you didn't get it from Ozstick, you might have the short shaft zippyy which will leave the ball almost touching the panel.

The distance from the bottom of the threads to the shoulder of the pivot is ~30mm on the short shaft and ~45mm on the long shaft.  Remove dust washer and balltop to measure.

Ultimarc has the inserts here.

Scott

Terr1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 03:20:17 pm »
Ah I just checked I got the long shaft version ~45mm.

When mounted on my wood panel (5/8 inch / 16mm MDF), I got 60mm from the wood panel top to, the ball top. That should be okay right?

I actually found some thick short screws at my dads.. works great.. Just didn't think it was good enough.. but its rock sturdy :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 03:45:41 pm »
Ah I just checked I got the long shaft version ~45mm.

When mounted on my wood panel (5/8 inch / 16mm MDF), I got 60mm from the wood panel top to, the ball top. That should be okay right?

I actually found some thick short screws at my dads.. works great.. Just didn't think it was good enough.. but its rock sturdy :)

The length will be fine.  Long shafts are designed for mounting in 3/4" panels.

Hopefully the screws don't eventually work their way loose in that MDF.

The inserts have a larger surface area for the threads, so if the screws you are using now work loose, carefully drill the holes out and put in the inserts.

Scott

Tiberian Fiend

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2012, 01:54:16 am
  • Canis tiberius
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 08:36:29 pm »
2. When drilling the button holes, the best method is printing out the layout and mark the drilling points using a pencil through the paper?
There's a special tool for marking drill holes by punching dents into your medium that you can catch the drill bit on.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what it's called.  It's sort of like a spring-loaded ice pick that's about the size of a pen.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 11:06:32 pm »
There's a special tool for marking drill holes by punching dents into your medium that you can catch the drill bit on.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what it's called.  It's sort of like a spring-loaded ice pick that's about the size of a pen.

Its a center punch or a spring loaded center punch but I don' believe they're much needed when drilling wood, more for metal where the drill bit tends to walk.

Terr1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 02:55:20 pm »
Thanks for the input..

I will be drilling holes in my prototype tomorrow.. I guess time will tell if the screws goes loose.

I will post some pics.. Even thou its newbie made hehe :)

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 03:17:18 pm »
Knievel control panel 6-button layout is good.  35x15.  I have the 7 button too. 

AJ

Terr1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 03:30:38 pm »
Got the joystick and player buttons on the prototype control panel..

Now I just need the start buttons, insert coins, about 4 admins buttons and the paintjob :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 03:59:07 pm »
Now I just need the start buttons, insert coins, about 4 admins buttons and the paintjob :)

So what 4 admin buttons are you thinking of Escape, P (Pause), Enter, and Tab (Menu)? -- Ignore the mouse buttons.

Do you want to use color or clear translucent LED buttons like these or these with inserts?

Scott

Terr1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 10:54:23 am »
Hmm will illuminated admin/coin buttons be ugly when having standard player buttons? cant really decide.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 01:12:31 pm »
Like beauty, ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

I use 12v LED buttons powered by 5v.  They are not as bright like this, but I really like them.

Scott

chucklepie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2013, 08:56:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 12:12:55 pm »
Hello,
Bit late to the thread, but that's almost the exact sized CP I've got and I was undecided on the two layouts too, and the same colours  :o

After passing it around work we all (well, except one) decided on the hybrid as we thought the 63mm gap between joystick and buttons was too narrow and the 95mm gap would be better. What is your verdict after mounting them in the other way, does your joystick hand get in the way of the buttons?

Also, I'm undecided whether to squeeze in a trackball. Did you think about this or try it out for size?

Regarding buttons, I figured I'd use the shift option in MAME (player 1 button) and have minimal buttons on the CP (coin buttons hidden), so shift click button to pause, reset, etc. I was planning on parallel wiring some of the buttons to be mouse button 1/2, though I've no idea if this will work or not :)