Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My cab "The Triforce", and my homemade Aimtrak Gun Holster :p  (Read 9532 times)

Hituro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2016, 01:12:43 am
My cab "The Triforce", and my homemade Aimtrak Gun Holster :p
« on: January 04, 2011, 04:23:55 am »
So, I've actually been working on this cab since March of 2010.  I've been putting work into it little by little.  I had it fully functional at one point, but was still designing artwork, and decided to make some mods to it.  The cabinet itself was a kit I bought from Mameroom.  I have no experience with wood so for my first cab I thought it'd be a good idea.  I recently have taken the entire thing apart because I need to make some adjustments for myself to make it more my own arcade.  It is Zelda themed, here's a few shots of the control panel.

Hituro

• Offline Offline
Re: My cab "The Triforce", and my homemade Aimtrak Gun Holster :p
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:29:30 am »
Sorry it only let me add so many shots.  But I also wanted to show off my Aimtrak holster I made.  I couldn't find any side mounting holsters, so I figured, I'd make my own.  I wanted something simple, and something that would work.  I was just wondering around Home Depot, and my fiance was actually the one who helped me get this idea.  It's basically just a pimp mount, with foam insulation around it.  I know it probably looks crappy :P  The insulation is not very reflective, and is actually more black than it is Grey.  So it matches nicely.  Anyhow.  Let me know what you think.  Like I said... it's my first cab.  And I know it's not NEARLY as awesome as some of the cabs I've seen on here.  But I will definitely post more pictures once everything is complete.  Even plan to post a video.  Mostly just reconstructing everything.  I have a MA Front-end themed to Zelda, so hopefully it will be on par with some of the good cabs on here.  I'm new at this but I try :)

wweumina

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2022, 04:56:31 am
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:43:27 am »
Looks like nice artwork (I'd prefer an arcade theme but to each their own).  Good work on the holsters, a neat solution.

It might be the angle, but those sticks look like they should have been top mounted (or at least routed from below). 

Do your 4-way and spinner migrate south for the summer?

Might have been nice to flush mount the trackball and have it light up yellow to keep with theme. 

Sorry if I sound a bit negative, it's a nice first CP on the whole. 

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:12:40 am »
It might be the angle, but those sticks look like they should have been top mounted (or at least routed from below).

They are routed from the bottom actually.  They're Sanwa sticks.  They're shafts are short :P  They work perfectly fine though :)

I'm not quite sure what this means?  could you elaborate?  Not quite sure I get the humor

Might have been nice to flush mount the trackball and have it light up yellow to keep with theme.

Actually I had thought about doing a flush mount, but decided against it.  I personally don't like sliding my hand across plexi while playing games like golden tee, I think the mounting plate provides a good surface and I never know what type of guests might play, so I just feel that a steel plate will wear out better than running hands along plexi.  Just my personal choice :) 

It's ok, was just showing off my hardwork, wasn't expecting such sarcasm though :)

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:16:16 am »
I'd prefer an arcade theme but to each their own.

Also wanted to add that I went with a non arcade theme because I wanted to do something different.  And I have other systems on my cabinet besides Arcade games.  It is after all a MAME cabinet.  And I tend to have more games that are console related than arcade.  And besides, I'm a huge, huge, Zelda fan.  So why not make my artwork reflect something I enjoy? :)

DirtyDachshunds

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2014, 01:14:25 pm
    • First Project: MillerCade
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:54:08 am »
I think it looks great.  Very clean, I really like the art.  You'll catch crap around here for not flush mounting the trackball, but since you chose not to, more power to you.  Make it your own.

I went away from the popular opinion a couple times on my cab as well.  And I'm glad I did.

Also, I might steal your aimtrak holster idea.   :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:55:56 am by DirtyDachshunds »

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:02:38 am »
I think it looks great.  Very clean, I really like the art.  You'll catch crap around here for not flush mounting the trackball, but since you chose not to, more power to you.  Make it your own.

I went away from the popular opinion a couple times on my cab as well.  And I'm glad I did.

Also, I might steal your aimtrak holster idea.   :P

*gasp*  Millercade?  Blasphemer!  Miller isn't an arcade game!  :laugh: j/k

I did notice though, that my joysticks might be off my like a couple mm :/  which means I'd have to route them deeper.  But they work fine and I'm actually more comfortable with a lower shaft.  Besides, they work fine and have played sturdy, so I don't think I'm too worried about 4 mm :P

When I have some time I'll probably post more details about the holster.  But It's either a 3inch or a 4inch pipe bracket.  Usually found in the plumbing section.  Gun fits snug with the foam insulation.  And protects it too!

markronz

• We traced the call, and it came from....INSIDE YOUR ARCADE MACHINE!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2019, 12:03:08 am
  • Game on!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:26:34 pm »
Looks great!   I too thought of the U-bolt gun holder, never thought of foam around it, that might be nice!  Thanks for the idea!

jipp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 07:29:49 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 12:58:30 pm »
neat idea for the holsters.  i have some leather from when i was making custom forged knives.  i figure id tool up some leather and do some kind of holster down the road.

dose the 4 ways tick in front of the trackball get in the way?  on my control panel its offset a bit.  would suck to hit one hands on anything using the trackball.

chris.

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:21 am »

dose the 4 ways tick in front of the trackball get in the way?  on my control panel its offset a bit.  would suck to hit one hands on anything using the trackball.

No actually, I've never hit the 4-way while using the trackball for games like golden tee.  The actual layout is the default layout that mameroom supplies with their control panel kits.  Just comes as the panels with the holes drilled, and you have to do everything else.  I didn't mind having a dedicated 4 way, especially for games like Pac-man and Donkey Kong.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 01:08:04 pm »
very nice.  i love how you used the two-toned graphics around the buttons and sticks to tie in with both the happ buttons and sanwa sticks.  It makes it much less noticable that the blue and purple joysticks are lighter in color than the buttons.  i may use that idea when i redo my panel in the spring

very nice.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Nephasth

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 01:43:25 pm »
Quick idea for your holsters. You can find a rubberizing dip at hardware stores. You can dip handles of tools (or in your case, your holsters) in it, and it will put a layer of "form fitting" rubber on the handles/holsters. This might add a clean look to your cab while still protecting your guns.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 02:04:20 pm »
This looks really awesome, Hituro! I have to ask, have you looked into getting 4 swords to work multiplayer on your arcade machine? I don't know if there is a way to do this, but that would be a must on your machine if it is possible.  ;)

I also heard somewhere that someone was hacking ocarina of time to be multiplayer. That would be very cool as well!  :cheers:

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 05:47:33 pm »
Quick idea for your holsters. You can find a rubberizing dip at hardware stores. You can dip handles of tools (or in your case, your holsters) in it, and it will put a layer of "form fitting" rubber on the handles/holsters. This might add a clean look to your cab while still protecting your guns.

I think I will definately be looking into this, thanks! :D

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 05:49:35 pm »
This looks really awesome, Hituro! I have to ask, have you looked into getting 4 swords to work multiplayer on your arcade machine? I don't know if there is a way to do this, but that would be a must on your machine if it is possible.  ;)

I also heard somewhere that someone was hacking ocarina of time to be multiplayer. That would be very cool as well!  :cheers:

Well I do have Ocarina of time on it, but due to the number of buttons, I have to end up using more than one player to play it :D  which isn't too hard.  Not sure how that would work with Four Swords unless I had actual game pad ports, which is an idea too

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52:59 am »
very nice.  i love how you used the two-toned graphics around the buttons and sticks to tie in with both the happ buttons and sanwa sticks.  It makes it much less noticable that the blue and purple joysticks are lighter in color than the buttons.  i may use that idea when i redo my panel in the spring

very nice.

What's weird, is in the photo, I don't know if it was the lighting or the flash, but the purple buttons don't look that blue in person, they're more the darker color of the ring around them.  But I know what you mean, I like happ buttons, but I like sanwa sticks :p I know I'm weird, but it was tough because their colors don't exactly match, but I think with the CP art, it makes it not as glaring to the eye :)

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 10:00:22 am »

Well I do have Ocarina of time on it, but due to the number of buttons, I have to end up using more than one player to play it :D  which isn't too hard.  Not sure how that would work with Four Swords unless I had actual game pad ports, which is an idea too

:-\ too bad there doesn't seem to be an easy emulator solution. I saw that it is possible to link up the game on one screen using VBA, but it looks like a lot of work each time to set it up, making it not very feasible. It looked like 2 player link limit as well.

Here is to wishful thinking that Nintendo puts out a Wii 4 player sequel for one screen, like a "new super mario bros" kinda thing.  :cheers:

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 11:36:52 am »

:-\ too bad there doesn't seem to be an easy emulator solution. I saw that it is possible to link up the game on one screen using VBA, but it looks like a lot of work each time to set it up, making it not very feasible. It looked like 2 player link limit as well.

Here is to wishful thinking that Nintendo puts out a Wii 4 player sequel for one screen, like a "new super mario bros" kinda thing.  :cheers:

Well, I invested in the adapters to hook up the PS3 to my arcade.  I did this based on the fact that I didn't want to have to take out my ArcadeVGA, but I still want to play games like SF4, and MvsC3 when it comes out, so if they do ever make a Four Swords on the Wii Virtual, I may have to look at getting that as well.  Because I admit, playing 4 swords on a cab would be pretty sweet, especially with my setup :)

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 12:08:47 pm »

Well, I invested in the adapters to hook up the PS3 to my arcade.  I did this based on the fact that I didn't want to have to take out my ArcadeVGA, but I still want to play games like SF4, and MvsC3 when it comes out, so if they do ever make a Four Swords on the Wii Virtual, I may have to look at getting that as well.  Because I admit, playing 4 swords on a cab would be pretty sweet, especially with my setup :)

You are planning on having SF4 and MvsC3 set up on your cab? :drool

OK, I think I'm just gonna invite myself over to your place when you have your cab ready.  ;D

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 12:32:23 pm »
I have SF4 running off my cab PC and it works great.  However, I wish MvC3 and the new mortal kombat would come out on the PC :(
...but I have enough games on this thing as it is

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 01:57:54 pm »

very nice.

What's weird, is in the photo, I don't know if it was the lighting or the flash, but the purple buttons don't look that blue in person, they're more the darker color of the ring around them.  But I know what you mean, I like happ buttons, but I like sanwa sticks :p I know I'm weird, but it was tough because their colors don't exactly match, but I think with the CP art, it makes it not as glaring to the eye :)

i know what you mean, i had the same problem when taking pics of mine.  i am using the same setup as you, sanwa sticks with happ buttons...and pretty much the same colors in the same order, except i used orange instead of yellow, so they would match up with the ninja turtles

it looks very nice, i really need to do something like that because mine are against a plain background so the color difference is more noticable
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

Creeper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2012, 11:55:07 pm
    • The Naked Robber
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 04:03:24 pm »
That CP looks great, don't let the nay sayers get to you. Nice theme, great art work.  :applaud:

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 04:44:04 pm »
very nice.  i love how you used the two-toned graphics around the buttons and sticks to tie in with both the happ buttons and sanwa sticks.  It makes it much less noticable that the blue and purple joysticks are lighter in color than the buttons.  i may use that idea when i redo my panel in the spring

very nice.

What's weird, is in the photo, I don't know if it was the lighting or the flash, but the purple buttons don't look that blue in person, they're more the darker color of the ring around them.  But I know what you mean, I like happ buttons, but I like sanwa sticks :p I know I'm weird, but it was tough because their colors don't exactly match, but I think with the CP art, it makes it not as glaring to the eye :)

it looks very nice, i really need to do something like that because mine are against a plain background so the color difference is more noticable

Funny you mention that, because I actually set up the colors the same order as the TMNT Arcade.  When looking at pictures though, I noticed on the TMNT cab, Michelangelo was yellow instead of orange, that's why I went with yellow.  But maybe I looked at it wrong.  But it's a subtle touch that I added due to loving that game as a kid.
i know what you mean, i had the same problem when taking pics of mine.  i am using the same setup as you, sanwa sticks with happ buttons...and pretty much the same colors in the same order, except i used orange instead of yellow, so they would match up with the ninja turtles
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:19:51 pm by Hituro »

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 05:00:55 pm »
Looks like nice artwork (I'd prefer an arcade theme but to each their own).  Good work on the holsters, a neat solution.

wweumina You sir are a d bag

Anyway to the OP thats a great looking panel & having a dedicated 4 way is awesome as is having room to use the trackball on GoldenTee, ShuffleShot, World Class bowling & etc.

Looks nice!
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 12:34:07 am »
Thought I'd post some more pictures of my cab that I'm reworking.  Almost finished making my adjustments.

Mainly spent the whole day adding extra support for the base due to the wheels I've added.  Also moved a lot of the interior pieces around, made an attempt at keeping the wires organized, and added a sub-woofer :D

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 12:41:33 am »
That is really badass, Hituro! 8)

It looks like it is gonna capture the sheer joy of a four player cab.  :cheers:

jipp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 12:54:32 am »
looks good inside.  yeah i like the idea of that compound stuff for the gun holsters.. i use it on tools.. you can get it at home depot for like 8.00 works like a charm.. yeah i went with a dedicated 4 way also.  i made mine offset cause i read people hitting the spinner.  but what i did not take into effect was the real-estate you have 4 player is quite bigger than my 2 player ( im a hermit,  would never have enough people over to play 4 players i hate to admit).  i just went with the basic classic design as mameroom calls it.  its generic enough to play any game i could ever want.    

i have a ps2 i have not used in a long time.. its on the floor collecting dust...  can you link me to the adapter you used?  as right now its collecting dust..  figure may as well throw it in my cab when its all said and done with.  if not the current one im working on build it into my second attempt at a cab.  may as well i own the thing right. heh.  i will have to tear it apart to dust it out tho.. heh.  i live in the desert and i swear dust loves me.  

chris.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:58:24 am by jipp »

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 12:59:59 am »
looks good inside.  yeah i like the idea of that compound stuff for the gun holsters.. i use it on tools.. you can get it at home depot for like 8.00 works like a charm.. yeah i went with a dedicated 4 way also.  i made mine offset cause i read people hitting the spinner.  but what i did not take into effect was the real-estate you have 4 way is quite bigger than my 2 way.  i just went with the basic classic design as mameroom calls it.  its generic enough to play any game i could ever want.   

i have a ps2 i have not used in a long time.. its on the floor collecting dust...  can you link me to the adapter you used?  as right now its collecting dust..  figure may as well throw it in my cab when its all said and done with.  if not the current one im working on build it into my second attempt at a cab.  may as well i own the thing right. heh.  i will have to tear it apart to dust it out tho.. heh.  i live in the desert and i swear dust loves me. 

chris.

http://www.ultimarc.com/JShopServer/section.php?xSec=8

You'll need the PS2 Control Adapter, and one of the PSX AV Adapters, depending on if you're using a PC monitor or an Arcade Monitor :)

jipp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 01:29:45 am »
cool, thank you.. using tv/monitor
hope to get it mounted this weekend in my cab. :)
chris.

wweumina

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2022, 04:56:31 am
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 07:42:35 am »
Looks like nice artwork (I'd prefer an arcade theme but to each their own).  Good work on the holsters, a neat solution.

wweumina You sir are a d bag

Anyway to the OP thats a great looking panel & having a dedicated 4 way is awesome as is having room to use the trackball on GoldenTee, ShuffleShot, World Class bowling & etc.

Looks nice!

Nice to hear from you.

I wasn't trying to be mean.  It is a great looking CP and the artwork is very unique.  I just thought the images made the sticks look kind of short and I thought the trackball would look nice in yellow (and under the artwork).  The placement of the spinner and 4-way are questionable as to usability but this is not a comment on his handiwork as he had no part in the placement.  On the whole I think it would have made a great post in the control panel sticky.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 05:49:44 pm »
I just finished copying your 'custom' aimtrak holsters.  Mine look almost identical.  Thanks for the tip

Hituro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 12:08:21 am »
I just finished copying your 'custom' aimtrak holsters.  Mine look almost identical.  Thanks for the tip

Sweet!  What kind of pip insulation did you use? The one I found had sticky tape on it, so it could wrap around and seal close without me having to try pushing the foam around the metal and risk ripping it.

DirtyDachshunds

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 10:40:10 am »
Yea I wanted to get the kind you used, but the only sizes of it home depot had was way to large.  So I got a smaller (and lighter colored) pipe insulation.  There was not cut in it, so I just pushed it around the pipe bracket.