Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Original Defender cab no power. What to check first?  (Read 1988 times)

IguanaStorm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2020, 10:50:25 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Original Defender cab no power. What to check first?
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:50:54 pm »
It's for a friend.  He says nothing happens when you flip the switch.  Outside of the switch, what other simple things can I check?  I've built arcade sticks but I'm no electrician.   

Bootay

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2021, 04:29:01 pm
Re: Original Defender cab no power. What to check first?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:55:09 pm »
I just started collecting cabs and my first and only one so far is 4 Player Dungeons and Dragons. I had the same problem and then discovered that the game wouldn't turn on unless the back door was shut all the way. The door was loose and wouldn't stay closed and the lock is missing so I lodged a flathead screwdriver in it to keep it closed until I can replace the locks. I am not sure if Defender is the same way but always check the easy stuff first.  :) 

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:03:18 am »
Check the easy items first.   Do you have AC power to the cab?   Are the fuses on the Power Supply good?   Is something disconnected or has a harness or PC board come adrift?   

After the easy stuff you can check to see if you have the proper voltages etc by using the manual and schematic of the cab.

You can find the manual and schematics at this link.

MikesArcadeManuals

g.robert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2015, 12:35:59 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 03:49:05 pm »
Defender was my first arcade and most problematic of the seven I own. If nothing lights up you are dealing with main power. There should be a fuse and two switches controlling main power input. One switch on top left for OFF / ON control and the second inside the rear door as mentioned above. That switch is a dual position.If you have the rear door off pull the switch knob out and it should maintain that position to allow power to the main game power supply. My guess is one of those switches or the fuse is blown.

If all is good check the power supply. I replaced mine years ago with a linear PS. Frequent reboots are known result of failing power supplies.

Once you are up be prepared for RAM failures which are an easy fix once you locate some stock ram to keep on hand.

The biggest problem by far are the molex connectors at each board. Do the wiggle test and replace any that seem suspect.
Thanks, Robert

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:28:47 am »
The cabinet main off-on toggle switch is on the front of the cabinet underneath the coin door area (feel around for it). Then in the back of the cabinet, you remove/open the back door and there should be a white "safety" interlock power switch. The back door (when closed and locked) pushes the plunger of that switch to activate it. If either the front cabinet toggle switch or the rear door safety interlock switch are not activated, the machine will appear dead. Both switches must be on.