Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can I Choose games in MaLa with my spinner?  (Read 2646 times)

shredso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2020, 09:23:27 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Can I Choose games in MaLa with my spinner?
« on: March 31, 2007, 11:26:22 pm »
I just installed a spinner today.  $100 to play Arkanoid....  Anyway, can I use the spinner to choose games?  I mean scroll through the game list.  Currently up/down chooses the games and the spinner does nothing.

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2024, 05:14:32 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: Can I Choose games in MaLa with my spinner?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:56:13 pm »
I just installed a spinner today.  $100 to play Arkanoid....  Anyway, can I use the spinner to choose games?  I mean scroll through the game list.  Currently up/down chooses the games and the spinner does nothing.

If the spinner can emulate a mouse then yes

shredso

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 01:48:11 am »
The spinner is a mouse moving left to right.  how would I set it up to scroll through games?

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 02:34:13 am »
The spinner is a mouse moving left to right.  how would I set it up to scroll through games?

See attached pic

shredso

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:36:07 am »
Awesome.  I have it working now, but one more question.  Can I make it go faster?  It scrolls through the games very slowly.  it doesn't seem to go any faster when I move the spinner faster either.

Ed

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 12:37:14 am »
Awesome.  I have it working now, but one more question.  Can I make it go faster?  It scrolls through the games very slowly.  it doesn't seem to go any faster when I move the spinner faster either.

Ed

Did you try reducing the mouse repeat value on that same screen?

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 10:37:28 pm »
Hey Loadman-

I hope you're still checking this area instead of your fancy new forum.  :]

I've just hooked up all of my hardware to my PC & am trying to implement my spinners as game selection devices.

I have many "mice": a push/pull spinner (Blackhawk by Apache), a Tornado spinner that came w/ my SlikStik Quad, my big Happ 3" trackball that came w/ my SlikStik Quad, & an X-Arcade trackball.

All 4 of those devices seem to act as the mouse in Windows.  Both spinners move the arrow cursor horizontally.

What I would *like* to do is have 1 spinner jump from letter to letter & the other spinner jump from 1 game to the next.  Right now, they're both set up to do the same thing.

Any way to segregate the spinners to accomplish this?

I want to go Etch-a-Sketch style!  :]

Thanks!
-Jason

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:48:36 am »
Hey Loadman-

I hope you're still checking this area instead of your fancy new forum.  :]

I've just hooked up all of my hardware to my PC & am trying to implement my spinners as game selection devices.

I have many "mice": a push/pull spinner (Blackhawk by Apache), a Tornado spinner that came w/ my SlikStik Quad, my big Happ 3" trackball that came w/ my SlikStik Quad, & an X-Arcade trackball.

All 4 of those devices seem to act as the mouse in Windows.  Both spinners move the arrow cursor horizontally.

What I would *like* to do is have 1 spinner jump from letter to letter & the other spinner jump from 1 game to the next.  Right now, they're both set up to do the same thing.

Any way to segregate the spinners to accomplish this?

I want to go Etch-a-Sketch style!  :]

Thanks!
-Jason

Hmmm It sounds like it would much easier to have a joystick allocated to jumping by letter which MaLa can do already 

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 03:33:26 am »

Hmmm It sounds like it would much easier to have a joystick allocated to jumping by letter which MaLa can do already 

Yah, perhaps the easier way out, but I was pretty keen on having dual spinners for the selection--I think it would look elegant & could be done slickly by pushing down on the Blackhawk spinner to launch a game.  The player just needs to put his hands on 2 knobs, zip through the list, then press (or pull) a knob.

But, if there's no way to set this up currently or no near-term plans for adding this functionality, then I'll probably go with buttons or switche to skip letters & allow the user to use either mouse to go name-by-name.

While I've got you, is it possible to have only 1 of my "mice" be polled for the name-scrolling?  As it is on my panel right now, 4 people could fight over the game selection simultaneoulsy if they really wanted.

Thanks
-Jason

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 09:24:28 am »
Not trying to speak for loadman, but I doubt you'll get either of your wishes implemented in the near term - I'm sure MaLa would require some serious effort to support any form of independent mouse control since it doesn't poll individual input devices - it just polls "the mouse".
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

loadman

• Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 07:22:26 pm »
Not trying to speak for loadman, but I doubt you'll get either of your wishes implemented in the near term - I'm sure MaLa would require some serious effort to support any form of independent mouse control since it doesn't poll individual input devices - it just polls "the mouse".

Correct.  But I won't rule out options in the future   ;)