Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: troubles with netflix. ITS A SCAM !!!  (Read 2970 times)

rlemmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2022, 02:54:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
troubles with netflix. ITS A SCAM !!!
« on: January 22, 2006, 06:58:17 pm »
Hi. I  have been using netflix for almost a year now. Up  until the last few months it has been awesome. I would order a new release and have it in two days. Now anytime I want a new release i have to some times wait three weeks or more. This is ridicules. I would be better off too keep my $25.00 a month and just wait for movies to  come on  HBO. I think the problem is that there getting more and more members ( I heard something about them building  a larger headquarters) and not bothering to increase there stock. Has anyone else had this problem.

I found out why this is happining Its a scam see my 2nd post
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 07:39:04 pm by rlemmon »

vizzinni

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2022, 06:04:10 am
  • Inconceivable
Re: troubles with netflix.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 07:14:02 pm »
I haven't noticed a problem lately, but I don't get new releases very often either. 

rlemmon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 07:19:45 pm »
i was just reading the service agreement 

http://www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse#how

and it says We reserve the right to allocate and ship DVDs to you in any manner that we, in our sole and absolute discretion, determine. 
In determining priority for shipping and inventory allocation, we give priority to those members who receive the fewest DVDs through our service.

What a load off ---Cleveland steamer--- !  >:( >:( >:( I buy a more expensive membership and I get ( so i can have more movies out at a time) the slowest service !
If i can find another place with decent service I'm done !
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 07:21:16 pm by rlemmon »

SOAPboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2009, 03:36:12 am
  • ..::GeeK::..
Re: troubles with netflix. ITS A SCAM !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 08:06:42 pm »
Um.. New releases are wanted more, thus people wait in line to get them..

Netflix honestly, will never be good to get a brand new dvd quickly..

Its just like going to blockbuster and paying the monthly fee for unlimited rentals.. and them not having your movie the second you want it..

Setabs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2015, 03:03:23 pm
  • 100% MAME compatible.
    • Another Useless Webpage
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 08:16:43 pm »
Just build up your que and don't worry about it.  I'll write down the movies that are at theaters and add them to my que.  Then when they get released I don't have to worry about them.  If there is a wait it will just sit at the top of the que till they get it.  I once got a extra movie because the movie I wanted wasn't available for a couple of weeks.  I am sure Blockbuster online has the same problem.

The Scam was the propessed settlement.  They would upgrade your service for one month for free then at the end of the month YOU have to go and change it back.  Which of course it takes alittle longer to find the place to downgrade your service.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 08:19:19 pm »
What a load off ---Cleveland steamer--- !  >:( >:( >:( I buy a more expensive membership and I get ( so i can have more movies out at a time) the slowest service !
If i can find another place with decent service I'm done !

What this probably refers to is the number you turn over, not the amount you have out at once.

For example, I was on the 3-at-a-time plan, and I turned over six discs a week.  Or I would have, IF they would get my stuff to me on a timely fashion.

I didn't blame them for this problem, rather the USPS.  And of course it's not really their problem either.

I resorted to reporting the discs 'lost' when I dropped them in the mail so they would ship the next one the same day I dropped it in the mail.  Unfortunately that only lasted so long.  After a while my account was locked, and I had to call and find why.  It was because I had reported so many as out.  The guy unlocked it immediately as every single disc was accounted for, but I couldn't do it again, or risk getting locked again (and having to deal with a PITA phone call each time).

Eventually I cancelled my account, not because I didn't like the service, but it was a monthly expense I could do without.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 09:39:59 pm »
I been having to wait to get the newest releases also, but I have a bunch of movies on my queue so no matter what they send something.  I actually put a bunch of classics that I've never seen before at the bottom of my queue to guarentee I always get a movie.  I like getting these every once in a while since they're usually better then new releases anyways.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 11:53:21 pm »
The movies come faster than I can find time to watch 'em anyway, so what do I care how fast they ship them.

My queue has hundreds of movies in it.  I didn't get Batman Begins on the first day it was released, but so what?  It came a little while later, and I watched some other stuff in the meantime.

rlemmon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 03:36:25 am »
i wasn't pissed because i didn't get things when they came out, that's completely understandable. I am pissed because there saying that they give priority to those who receive the fewest DVDs through there service. It shouldn't matter how many DVDs  a person receives. If me and Joe blow order a movie on the same day it should go to who ever ordered first not one guy just because he receives fewer DVDs through the service. They send new releases out to new members sooner to get them "hooked" on the service, (and people who get fewer DVDs, I.E. have a  have a cheaper fewer movie out at a time plan) then once you have been a member for a while they pull the old bait and switch and you get bumped to the bottom of the list. At least if you go to the video store its first come first serve. The only problem with that is , there is only one  video store left in my area. Its a  video warehouse store and they suck.  They guarantee more popular new releases to be in stock or its free. big surprise there never in stock and getting the free rental coupon is like pulling teeth. The other thing is that the employees are rude as hell.  You ask them to help you find  a movie on the shelves they act like you just asked for a kidney.

abrannan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2012, 11:32:14 am
  • Building a cabinet in perpetuity since 2002
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 08:17:13 am »
Anti-piracy measure.  They figure (probably rightly) that the folks who turn over a lot of DVDs are just copying them, so they give priority to those people who turn over fewer DVDs per month (and are statistically less likely to pirate).

If no one feeds the trolls, we're just going to keep eating your goats.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 09:12:09 am »

$25 a month?  What, are you on the ass rape plan? 

More Cowbell

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2017, 02:33:49 pm
  • That's just dumb!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 09:22:39 am »
I've never had a problem with new releases. I must be in the "in" crowd.  ;D
I've got a fever...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 09:24:35 am »

Believe it or not, Blockbuster online is MUCH better.  I've used both, Blockbuster has a better selection (online, anyway) and is much faster.  Plus they don't ---smurfette--- if you never send them back...  :angel:

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 10:01:19 am »
This is probably not an option for everyone, but I use my public library!

Our library is linked with 8 other libraries.  I just go to the library site, look up the movies I want and add them to my hold list.  When they become available at any of the libraries, they ship it to my library and I have six days to pick it up.

It may not be as convenient as NetFlix, but it is free*.

*(Aside from whatever portion of my property tax goes to support it, but I pay that whether I use the library or not.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 10:26:23 am »
This is probably not an option for everyone, but I use my public library!

Our library is linked with 8 other libraries.  I just go to the library site, look up the movies I want and add them to my hold list.  When they become available at any of the libraries, they ship it to my library and I have six days to pick it up.

It may not be as convenient as NetFlix, but it is free*.

*(Aside from whatever portion of my property tax goes to support it, but I pay that whether I use the library or not.

BINGO!  Same here on all counts.

You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 10:38:33 am »
I've never had a problem with new releases. I must be in the "in" crowd.  ;D

I gues I'm "in" that crowd too... I've been a member of Nextflix for almost 5 years and I've never had a problem.  Never had trouble getting a movie, never had a movie lost...  When Netflix first started their only distribution center was on the West coast, so for an East coaster like me it took a while to get movies.  Now they have distribution centers all over the place, if I send a movie back on Monday, they get it on Tuesday, and I get my next movie on Wednesday.

TMS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2006, 11:49:53 am
  • My cat loves comcast
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 10:39:24 am »
I just dumped netdix and went to blockbuster, I do maybe 4 movies every two weeks. My patience for new releases ran out after I waited for 40 yr old virgin for a month.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 10:46:05 am »
I tried the blockbuster free trial back when they first started and the service was horrible then.  I had 5 movies in my queue and by the end of the 2 weeks I only had gotten 2 movies.  Maybe theyre better now, but they had their chance with me and failed

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 11:06:29 am »

I turn over about 5 movies a week with Blockbuster online and rarely have any issues.  It has been like this for about 6 months solid.

I used Netflix for about 6 months before switching.  It was great at first, speedy, reliable... then I started getting obvious bootleg discs, shipping took a week rather than 2 days, and discs would arrive in pieces.

I used my library before that but I'm not punctual enough and ended up paying late fees on them more often than now.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 11:16:54 am »

Believe it or not, Blockbuster online is MUCH better.  I've used both, Blockbuster has a better selection (online, anyway) and is much faster.  Plus they don't ---smurf--- if you never send them back...  :angel:

Hey, I just looked at the envelope my discs come in, and apparently, I never bothered to make note of which service I've got.  Seems I've got Blockbuster, not Netflix.  So maybe Netflix does bite after all, I wouldn't know. 

My Slack-Fu is strong.

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 11:42:20 am »
I just dumped netdix and went to blockbuster, I do maybe 4 movies every two weeks. My patience for new releases ran out after I waited for 40 yr old virgin for a month.

But he waited 40 Years!......uh, sorry. I had to say it.  :-*
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 12:43:22 pm »

Believe it or not, Blockbuster online is MUCH better.  I've used both, Blockbuster has a better selection (online, anyway) and is much faster.  Plus they don't ---smurf--- if you never send them back...  :angel:
And you get in store coupons, something you can't get with an online only store.  I use the coupons to rent games instead of movies as I will have all the movies I want to see in my queue.

I don't have problems.  Though much of my queue right now is stuff that's hard to get.  On normal circumstances I'd send my three movies back on monday and receive the next 3 by thursday or friday.  I figure I need to watch at least 4 movies a month to make it worth while.  I usually watch 5-6.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 12:45:40 pm »

I usually copy them to a DVDRW when I get them and then send them back.  Once I've watched the movie, I toss it back onto the spindle to have another movie put on it.  I don't keep any of them, but the rent-copy-overwrite helps me get through more of them faster.

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 03:07:18 pm »
I had both Netflix and Blockbuster at the same time to compare.  Blockbuster had more copies of New Releases and you could get one easier after the initial release.  However, Netflix could get the movies turned around faster than Blockbuster.  I could usually get 12 movies per two weeks through Netflix but only 9 movies per two weeks on Blockbuster.  The only difference was how fast Blockbuster could turn them around.

Now, here is how you can improve your chances of getting New Releases quickly through Netflix.  Each month, do a search for the next month's new releases and add them to your queue at the very top (even though they haven't been released yet).  Keep in mind that New Releases always come out on Tuesday.  Be sure and ship the movies you have at home back on Friday.  They will arrive at Netflix on Saturday or Monday and they will go ahead and ship out the new releases due out on the next day since they will not get to you until Tuesday.

Make sense?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 05:38:49 pm by markrvp »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 04:09:22 pm »
However, Netflix could get the movies turned around faster than Netflix. 

:police:

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 05:39:58 pm »
Netflix was faster than Blockbuster.  If Blockbuster had the same turnaround time I would have gone with them because of the 2 free monthly local rentals.

CartmanDP1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2008, 05:22:34 pm
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 10:19:33 pm »
I've had netflix for a while, I have found that new releases usually ship on Tuesdays, so I always have all my new releases on the top as soon as possible, and I make sure to send all my movies back on saturday even if it means holding them an extra day. Seems to work, may be a regional thing, Im from New Jersey.

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2015, 01:24:46 pm
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006, 08:22:04 am »
I use netflix on the 3 at a time plan and I get about 9 movies a week.  I've had great service from them and I find that they tend to have a better selection than BlockBuster Online.  My Sister Upgraded her Netflix account to the 5 disc at a time plan and she finds that it takes longer for her to get her discs now so it seems to me it wouldn't be worth it.  I re-sign up for blockbuster every once and awhile because they will send me emails offering to let me come back for a month of service for $1 or something so I figure why not.  I just cancle again after the month is up.  But they send me the offer again every couple of months.  I found that I would get about 9 movies a week from BlockBuster as well so as far as speed of getting me my movies they are just as good as netflix.  Some times with both Netflix and Blockbuster I will only get 7-8 a week but most of the time I get 9 discs a week.

And you get in store coupons, something you can't get with an online only store.  I use the coupons to rent games instead of movies as I will have all the movies I want to see in my queue.
Just so you know they changed the coupons so that they no longer work for video games.  You can only get movies with them now.

I usually copy them to a DVDRW when I get them and then send them back.  Once I've watched the movie, I toss it back onto the spindle to have another movie put on it.  I don't keep any of them, but the rent-copy-overwrite helps me get through more of them faster.
Burning them to a DVDRW in my opinion takes too much time.  I just copy them to a Hard Drive and watch them from there.  It saves a ton of time and it is easier to delete the movies when you are finished watching them.  You can always burn them to a disc later if you want to take them over to some one elses house to watch or something.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2006, 09:02:33 am »
Just so you know they changed the coupons so that they no longer work for video games.  You can only get movies with them now.

That may be for the trial only.  My coupons for January still say movie OR game.

Burning them to a DVDRW in my opinion takes too much time.  I just copy them to a Hard Drive and watch them from there.  It saves a ton of time and it is easier to delete the movies when you are finished watching them.  You can always burn them to a disc later if you want to take them over to some one elses house to watch or something.

I don't have a movie friendly setup for my computer.  Two small speakers and an office desk/chair.  It only takes 5 minutes of my time to copy a DVD to DVDRW.  Open DVD Shrink, tell it to copy, and walk away.

farmecologist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2021, 06:41:53 pm
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2006, 11:07:35 am »

We have the cheap 9.99 '1 out' plan via Netflix and it is perfect for us.   We just don't have time to watch too many movies.   However, towards the end of the year I was considering cancelling the service due to problems with turnover..which really bites when you are on the '1 out' plan!

I'm happy to say that Netflix must have changed something because my turnover rate is FANTASTIC now.    I also recently received an e-mail from Netflix saying that they are making changes to improve the turnover time.   Did anyone else get this?

Good to see that Netflix is actually listening to customer complaints and is attempting to do something about it!

On another note, what happened to the rumored rental service from Amazon? 

brian23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2011, 03:52:01 pm
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2006, 12:53:10 pm »
I have been a member of netflix since 2001 and I haven't had issues with turnaround time. For the past six months, I have been on the 1 disc at a time plan. The distro center is in Orlando and I live about 50 miles from it. I put a disc in the mail yesterday around noon and they received it today by 9am.. I'll have the disc tomorrow. We don't watch movies that much because of kids and work. It is nice holding onto the DVD for a while. I don't copy the DVDs simply because I don't have time, not that I think it is immoral. Honestly though, if you are having time to watch 3-5 DVDs within a few days, then in my IMHO you should probably find something else better to do with your time and go outside and get some sunshine!  :angel:

spiffyshoes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2015, 01:24:46 pm
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2006, 05:27:33 pm »
I don't have a movie friendly setup for my computer.  Two small speakers and an office desk/chair.  It only takes 5 minutes of my time to copy a DVD to DVDRW.  Open DVD Shrink, tell it to copy, and walk away.

If you don't have a HTPC you might consider looking into getting an XBOX.  You can hook it up to your Home Theater System and it can play movies from the hard drive.  Not to mention you could have it stream movies from your PC.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 11:05:33 pm by spiffyshoes »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2006, 08:57:41 am »

Sure, if I wanted to do that.  I do not, however, since it only takes 5 minutes of my time to copy a DVD to DVDRW.

Setabs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2015, 03:03:23 pm
  • 100% MAME compatible.
    • Another Useless Webpage
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 09:35:15 am »

rugby1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2007, 12:10:12 am
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2006, 05:08:47 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060210/ap_on_bi_ge/netflix_throttling

article on yahoo about netflix "throttling".... 

Fuzi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2016, 05:34:25 pm
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2006, 07:20:52 pm »
My advice would be to expand your queue and your patience or find an alternative that no one else is using yet. Google is indeed your friend.

Or better still, just give up on Hollywood garbage altogether, read more nonfiction and increase your knowledge.

Or simply rent porn here and risk dehydration and blisters- www.xrentdvd.com.
Play to Live, Live to Play.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2006, 10:18:32 pm »
Hey RLEMMON, is your real name Manuel?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11262292/

NO MORE!!