Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Creative speakers?? Boooooo!!  (Read 1099 times)

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
Creative speakers?? Boooooo!!
« on: July 14, 2005, 05:50:43 pm »
Last year I thought it time that I spent some serious cash and brought a reasonable set of PC speakers.

My intention was to buy a set of speakers that would last a lifetime. By lifetime I suppose I mean over 10 years

Living the delusional lifestyle.

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2020, 11:17:00 am
    • Check it out!!!
Re: Creative speakers?? Boooooo!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 06:05:00 pm »
personally i would unplug it all, take apart the sub and just look for something obvious like you said a blown fuse, you already dont have a warranty anyway what do you have to lose. also, your power supply could have died, what kind of voltage is it? you can pick one up at radio shack or whatever kind of electronics store you have over there and try that
"Owens is the ringleader in the ass hat circus"  D K

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 06:25:45 pm »
The power supply must be in the subwoofer because the whole unit plugs directly into the mains which is 240 volts.

If the truth is known I am reluctant to open the sub not because of the warranty (which is now as dead as the sub), but I really don't know what I am doing.

I just don't know if there is something in there that is gunna bite me even with the power turned off or perhaps entertain my other fear which involves my house burning to the ground after I have fooled around with the wiring.

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 10:29:05 pm »
Open it up, don't touch anything that is cylindrical (it could be a capaciter,) see if there's a blown fuse.

If you don't find a blown fuse and you realy are that concerned with not getting shocked bring it to someone you know with more knowlege when it comes to electronics.  If you don't know anyone with enough knowlege go to an expert.

I don't know what else to tell you but that.  Hope it helps...  :-\
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 11:04:25 pm »
Thanks for the advice. However, there has been a strange turn of events....

I rang Creative in Australia again and got a little bad ass about the situation. They said that they would have their technician have a look at it and gave me his number.

I rang the dude and not only does he live in the same suburb as me (which is bizare in itself), but he only lives a few streets away from me! He is going to pick it up for me, take it away and have a look.

When I pushed Creative regarding the warranty they said they could probably give me a grace period considering the circumstances.

I think I might have got lucky this time...

AmericanDemon

• The Reason the short bus was invented... 100% Slacker Guaranteed, 4:20 yet?
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2019, 11:08:03 pm
  • Still an AmericanDemon
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 12:24:12 am »
/Applauds

Thats good news man.  Its great that they caved.  ;)

JB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2005, 10:56:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 12:28:26 am »
Even better that the technician already lives in your area.
Bad service, you know who to egg. :P

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:30:11 am »
/Applauds

Thats good news man. Its great that they caved. ;)
Lets face, they really didn't have to and it ain't over yet.... But I think for a grands worth, I am not being unreasonable expecting them to last a little longer then 12 months and thirteen days.

On another note, the sound they produce (when working) is bloody unbelievable.

jbox

• BYOAC Poet Laureate
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2007, 08:00:54 am
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 01:10:27 am »
Don't forget the four magic letters "ACCC".  :police:

Sony and their local service centre tried to absolutely root me on a walkman replace/repair job. After six months of no progress I sent a letter quad CC'ed to the retailer, service centre, Sony Australia and the ACCC. Within a week I had my refund.  ::)

Also, do you not have anyone like Force Electronics in your state? Even someone like Allans Music could probably set you up with a repairer, since there are plenty of non-techs who spend *way* more than that on their stereo.  :o
Done. SLATFATF.

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 12:29:55 am »
Update.

Technician picked up the sub and took it away. It took me three calls and 10 days to get an answer back. Finally he responded and quoted me $200 to repair which involved parts and labour.

I politely advised him it should be covered under warranty and he instantly returned it to me basically saying he wanted nothing to do with it and I needed to go back through Creative.

I called Creative who then said the warranty had expired. I again acknowledged that this was the case but reminded them it had failed less than two weeks after the warranty had expired and I was previously told it would be covered.

So now after some debating they have told me if I get the sub back to them they will replace it with a new one.

Tomorrow I call a courier.....

I have not heard AC/DC or Cold Chisel in two weeks. I am going insane without the vibes.

Edit: I was hoping I could keep the old one. I could have pulled it apart and used the bass speaker for my cab. 400W of thumping mame fury.....Alas, not to be.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 12:34:58 am by BrokenBones1 »