Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SuperCheapSideArt??  (Read 2328 times)

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
SuperCheapSideArt??
« on: January 26, 2004, 08:38:19 am »
I was wondering... I would love to add sideart to my cabinet... but I am down right cash strapped...  Like no large purchases for months.

But the question is this.  I have a nice printer.  I can print some pretty amazing things...

If I printed out on standardard paper... could I shalak (sp?) it on and make it better then painted black?

I'm not looking for super quality... just something to chear it up a little.

The other idea I had was doing it all with construction paper.  I thought that might be funky / fun.  But again... I don't know how to get the stuff to stick.

Any comments?

<edit>  I thought one of the old regulars had tried this... I don't remember who...   what gave me the idea </edit>
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 08:39:08 am by Lilwolf »

eightbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Re:SuperCheapSideArt??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 10:42:13 pm »
Some people have used sticker paper with nice results. Your biggest problem is your limited to smaller objects or peicing it together.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

APFelon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:10:35 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 11:28:24 pm »
Try 3M spray adhesive. Should be available in most hardware/home improvement stores. I used the stuff to paste posters on the side of my cab, and it looks pretty good.

APf

XtraSmiley

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 06:06:27 pm
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 01:38:02 am »
I'd make stencils and paint it on like Joust machines.  My favorite is Joust 2, cool picture, sweet colors.  No worries about peeling.
hearingprotectionBIGDOG@yahooBIGDOG.com

Kill the Dog man.

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 08:19:00 am »
I went the sticky paper route and was fairly pleased with the results--the next time through I would change the sizes and positions of the some of the characters but it was better than nothing and dressed up the cab a bit.
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:26:58 am
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 10:07:50 am »
Looks pretty good.

What sort of printer do you have?

pcdoctor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2014, 06:44:02 am
  • I'm a Girl Gamer!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 06:23:54 am »
I went the sticky paper route and was fairly pleased with the results--the next time through I would change the sizes and positions of the some of the characters but it was better than nothing and dressed up the cab a bit.

Where can I purchase this sticky paper?
How much does it cost?
Dumb question.
Do you cut the characters out of the paper?
Your cabinet looks very nice!

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 10:25:02 am »
I have an HP 5550 inkjet printer and it was avery 8.5 x11 full sheet sticky paper.  I then cretated a full size image of the cabinet and with photoshop arranged the images how I wanted.  I saved it as a jpg and then imported it into excel (word and photoshop wouldn't cooperate for some reason) then when i printed it i was left with a collage of guys that i just cut out and pieced together on the seems--it looks good from probably 6-12" and further away--any closer and you can see the seams.
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 10:45:58 am »
LOOKS GREAT!

I think I will try it!

btw... did  you print each character or the background beams also?

menace

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 12:21:48 pm »
the background beams (I like the terminology-- sounds much fancier than "lines" ;D) were painted on with a semi-gloss latex, then the stickers were applied over top--you could do it all on the stickers but for me it was an evolutionary process and there were several months between the beams and the pics.  In hindsight--all in one step would be the way to go--just make sure your ink catridge is nice and full before you start  ;)

Oh ya cost--i think it was 11.95 for a pack of 20 8.5"x11" sheets and i used the whole thing for each side so 24.00 total for both sides of sideart (plus the paint which was a mistint at homedepot--can you say uber bargain hunter!)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2004, 12:23:51 pm by menace »

Sylentwulf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2009, 09:13:35 am
    • The Electric Quarter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 08:01:08 am »
Just a quick note. For the full sheet sticky labels, you COULD spend $15 at walmart for 10-20 sheets. Or you could go to this link:

http://www.onlinelabels.com/ol175.htm

GREAT place for ANY kind of labels. $12 for 100 sheets, same damn thing walmart has at 1/10th the price.

BYOAC users get 5% off with coupon code byoac5