Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ServoStik and JLW-TM-8 question.  (Read 1506 times)

MacGyver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
ServoStik and JLW-TM-8 question.
« on: February 09, 2013, 11:27:33 am »
OK, so I bought ServoStiks and they rock, but I had put a lot of work into the lighting of my cab so I wanted to light up my ServoSticks like I lit up my JLFs, so I bought some JLW hollow shafts (knowing they might not fit), they were too big, so I tried to lathe down the 10m shafts that I had bought extra for the JLWs, and the metal is too hard and I lack proper tools, so I drilled out one of my ServoStiks to fit the shafts I had (all 3 plastic pieces), but without a drill press the boring was loose.  So here I am, one stock ServoStik with no LEDs, and one wobbly ServoStik that lights up beautifully. 
My question is this, can I buy some REAL JLWs and mount the ServoStick restrictor plate to the real JLWs and use my real JLW hollow shafts?  Clearly the ServoStik is not a JLW (but resembles one), but the question is now "Are the restrictor-plates the same, is the height of the micro-switch assembly the same, are the holes that the servos mount to the same?"   I have been trying to get lit-up ServoStiks, that's all.  I just want to do it as soon as possible, without any custom tools. 

Will simply buying a set of real JLW-TM-8 allow me to swap my ServoStik's restrictor-plate, restrictor-springs, restrictor-screws, and servomotor over to the real JLWs, thereby allowing me to use my JLW hollow shafts? :dunno     It seems like I may never get this thing finished.

Nephasth

Re: ServoStik and JLW-TM-8 question.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:24:21 pm »
Will simply buying a set of real JLW-TM-8 allow me to swap my ServoStik's restrictor-plate, restrictor-springs, restrictor-screws, and servomotor over to the real JLWs, thereby allowing me to use my JLW hollow shafts?

This would be my assumption, as they're pretty much the same bases.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 04:58:04 pm »

Will simply buying a set of real JLW-TM-8 allow me to swap my ServoStik's restrictor-plate, restrictor-springs, restrictor-screws, and servomotor over to the real JLWs, thereby allowing me to use my JLW hollow shafts? :dunno     It seems like I may never get this thing finished.

Yes. In fact the Servostiks are real Sanwa JLW-TM-8 bases as of this year.

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
    • Project Build
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:26:42 am »
Ok, thanks guys.  I just placed an order for some JLW-TM-8s, I report back once it all gets sorted out.

Dekieon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2017, 04:04:14 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:03:14 am »
This concerns me...I just bought two of these servo sticks tonight and was planning on replacing the shafts with JLW 10mm Stainless Steel Hollow Joystick Shaft. Are these the shafts you tried to use MacGyver?

I have to wonder how two joysticks that are supposed to be the same aren't accepting the same shafts?  :-\

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
    • Project Build
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 09:34:02 am »
Yep, those are them.  Here is the comparison pictures a took from left to right: Hollow-JLF, ServoStik, Hollow-JLW (6mm and 10mm have the same base size). 

It kind of sounds like the original ServoStiks (I bought mine on day 0) were not real JLWs, but the comment made by Andy seems to indicate that ones he sells now are built on real JLWs.  I would ask him about your order, he can tell you for sure.