Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need Advice/Suggestions  (Read 2259 times)

avg2424

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2011, 10:17:00 pm
Need Advice/Suggestions
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »
I'm not quite sure if this is the correct section in the forum, but...
I'm new to cabinet making and to woodworking. The only three things I've made out of wood have been a key holder (pretty much a piece of wood with nails in it) when I was a kid, an attempt to make a speaker box, and a table top to hold a broadcast radio console in a hole in an existing table.
That being said, I am pretty proud of what I've constructed since I don't have any knowledge of woodworking and cabinet making concepts.

My problem is this:
I have a good picture of what I want out of my cabinet, but have no clue how to finish the exterior. I am looking for suggestions as to how to complete my project.
This is for music jukebox and karaoke.
Here are pictures:

I used 3/4" plywood for the front and sides and 5/8" for the rear.
Any suggestions for a good looking finish would be appreciated. I am teetering between some sort of formica all over, microdot formica on the sides and stainless steel in the front, or putting a nice face on it and staining. I also considered a wrap (sticker type material with some sort of design), but am not sure how that would look.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Al
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:26:10 pm by avg2424 »

avg2424

• Offline Offline
Re: Need Advice/Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:08 am »
Since no one had any advice, I went ahead with my original thought. I like it, it looks nice, a few imperfections here and there but what do you expect from a first time ever cab/woodwork build with nothing but the visions I had swirling around my head.  :applaud:

I feel it's missing some design element though. Something that makes it pop.
I'm thinking of changing the speaker grill to a nice metal mesh. I had thought about additional lighting somewhere or bubblers on the sides of the big screen.

Any thoughts?

Every time I look at it I think stealth bomber. Probably because of the color and angles. It isn't what I was going for, but looks cool.
I also think it needs something else  :banghead:
.... and yes, I am aware it needs part of it covered still. Ran out of contact cement ;D

Maybe this should go in a different section since it's not technically woodworking anymore?

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:49:31 am by avg2424 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:06 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:51:13 am »
Not bad so far. You should probably put the fact that it's for music before the photos- most of us might think it's an odd looking video game cabinet!  :lol

How do you plan to use the two screens?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

avg2424

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:24:08 pm »
Sorry,
It was in my first post (about this being for juke/karaoke), but I guess it's a bit hidden.

The dual screen will be used to display music information and karoke lyrics
A second screen allows you to continue using the system during karaoke to make other selections or decide what is next on the playlist.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 09:26:46 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:08:46 am »
I really like the shape! But you're right it's missing something. I think you're headed in the right direction with chrome speaker grills or how about artwork? (Music posters).

Also may you can put some of the sound-activated LEDs under the cabinet to give it that glowing elevated look. Good job so far.

:cheers: