Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Simpsons Arcade MAME conversion project!  (Read 2889 times)

indigofan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2010, 10:01:50 pm
Simpsons Arcade MAME conversion project!
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:36:23 am »
Hi all,

Just getting started on my Simpsons 4 player to MAME conversion. I'll post some pics soon.

I have already set up a PC to an iPac with MAME32FX, MALA front end and more parts are on the way. Eventually I will get some fresh MDF and entirely redo the control panel. Tron spinner and trigger on the way to get put in front and center as I love both the Tron games. I will also be putting a track ball (yet to be decided which one..) and at least converting the 4 player layout to a two player, 6 button control, pinball controls on the side.

The cab is in fairly good condition, however the front sides of the side panels are a bit banged up, any way to just repair them without re-cutting fresh MDF and redoing them completely? I have see some of the side panel guards that cover up the corners and was thinking that might just be a quick fit without having to spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to more or less patch up the corners since it looks like the machine has been moved/banged around a lot. The side art is in fair condition and eventually will need to get replaced. The coin mechanism have been hacked, but are salvageable as my goal is to leave as much of the original machine intact (parts and all) so that if I even decided to convert it back to just a dedicated Simpsons Arcade machine I can just pull the new control panel out and the PC. The original marquee does not cover the entire front like most machines do, so light leaks through, so more than likely I'll pull out the glass and redo a marquee with a repro one and replace it so that it is entirely flush. Also the light needs to be replaced for the marquee and one of the speakers does not work, but will be replacing them with some much higher wattage Roland studio speakers so that I can get some bass and much richer sounds pumping out of the cab.

Been a long long time that I have been wanting to do this project and just jumped in when I found the cab for a steal locally on eBay. Looking forward to getting some insights and help from folks here as I have already been trolling the forums to get ideas.

Wish me luck!

indigofan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2010, 10:01:50 pm
Re: Simpsons Arcade MAME conversion project!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:01:58 am »
Ok, now a bit confused, so seeking some input on interfaces for the controls...

So, I have an iPAC wired into the JAMA+ board for the Simpsons, can I connect addition controllers to it such as the other 2 joysticks that I have on the cab?

Where I am getting confused is: With my Tron joystick and spinner, can I use the existing iPAC or do I also need to get an OptiPAC to connect the spinner and additional trigger joystick or can I connect them to the iPAC that I have?

From what I have been reading, I do need to get the OptiPAC??

Eventually I would like to add a 4-way joystick, the spinner, trackball, two 8-way joysticks and about 20+ buttons in all. So, in the end, how many interfaces will I need? iPAC plus OptiPAC and one JPAC2?

Any help greatly appreciated.