Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: youtube question  (Read 1922 times)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
youtube question
« on: September 12, 2009, 06:42:54 am »
Does youtube embedding take up bandwidth here?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 04:55:06 pm
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
Re: youtube question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:24:46 am »
No, takes up Youtube's bandwidth :)
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 06:29:49 pm »
That's what I thought. I mean, why the hell would people even do it if it sucked up theirs? Duh. But I was asking about it being a feature somewhere's else, and somebody said it would be a hog, and I had no idea so thought I'd ask where someone knew what they hell they might be talking about.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 10:20:08 pm »
They may have been refering to embedded Youtube being a hog in that people will often post a URL to your site that has the embedded youtube link. The Youtube video doesn't hit your bandwidth, but google searches and links to you site that have the embedded youtube vid will.

I am actually guilty of this myself. I have found a few good embedded vids here, and instead of clicking on them to go to youtube to get the URL, I simply cut/paste the URL for the forum and IM/Email them to friends. This type of activity is double edged: It steals a little of BYOAC's bandwidth (in my example) but at the same time it exposes people to the site.
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 11:40:37 pm »
They may have been refering to embedded Youtube being a hog in that people will often post a URL to your site that has the embedded youtube link. The Youtube video doesn't hit your bandwidth, but google searches and links to you site that have the embedded youtube vid will.

I am actually guilty of this myself. I have found a few good embedded vids here, and instead of clicking on them to go to youtube to get the URL, I simply cut/paste the URL for the forum and IM/Email them to friends. This type of activity is double edged: It steals a little of BYOAC's bandwidth (in my example) but at the same time it exposes people to the site.

I just link the post it's in. Is that different?
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 04:55:06 pm
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 03:49:52 pm »
We've got bandwidth to spare. No worries :)
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com